Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Has anyone raced the new Challenger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.lxforums.com/board/member...ls&userid=3409

WOW..Ive never seen this guy or car before. 345CI H/C/C, 11.8 @ 4100lbs with 410HP seems pretty good to me. Thanks for the link.
Shane
Old 07-15-2008, 12:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Overpriced like the other SRT-8s, slow like the other SRT-8s and no aftermarket like the SRT-8s.
Exactly.

I literally ran the same EXACT time (12.71@111) in my 363rwhp CAI and tune only GTO.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

I haven't even seen one, let alone race one.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can talk when you have a bolt-on only, automatic 12 second sedan.
FYI I believe most "bolt on" LS1 automatics do run 12's... just food for thought. Except for the extreme vagueness of the term "bolt on". Hell I can call my car bolt on as everything done to it is techincally "bolted" in
Old 07-15-2008, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

sedan.
and that's where the charger lost me

challenger maybe, at least they looks pretty good

give they aftermarket some time to get it all going, I'm sure the hemi guys will have plenty of toys to choose from
had fun in town w/ an SRT8 300 ... moved out well for a stock "big" car ... seen several SRT chargers around

the 5th gen has it's work cut out for it ... muscle car golden age take 2!
Old 07-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Teching In

My Uncle has the supposed first one in Chicago. I drove it last weekend, mostly impressed. First and foremost you are like a celebrity driving that thing around, every place you stop people come up and look at it, take pictures yada yada.

Second, the exhaust. At idle and just reving it seems fairly quiet, but under a load that all changes. It is louder then my GTO was stock, sounded good!

The interior though is very similar to the Chargers, whichis ehh. The seats though are awesome and very similar in style and bolstering to the GTO seats but with suede. They are a little bigger which is great for guys like me that aren't little skinny guys (like my buddy said when he first rode in my car "bubba, these are fat man seats right here!). If you don't know what I mean go sit in a Mazda Speed three then a GTO seat and you will see what I mean with the bolsters.

The sound system sounds good, it gets loud and can bump fairly good with its Kicker sup in the trunk.

The trunk is very roomy but it you look at the rear seats almost against the rear window, the rear leg room is lacking. It is opposite with the GTO, no trunk but plenty of rear leg room.

Finally, calling a 13 flat car that traps damn near 110 slow is obsurd (sp?). The GTO LS2 is a drivers race with this and and SRT-8 car which are all a hair faster then an equally driven LS1 6spd car. The after market is coming around for those cars just like any new motor performance car, the motor has been out a couple years and that helps. Just have to see what fits all cars and what needs modification to fit, like the LS1 in the F-body and the LS1 in the GTO. Some work between all and some don't.

It is heavy, it handled well but you could feel the weight. It rode very well, which is expected for the plat form it is on but not for the type of car. I would have liked a little more roughness to it, but hey, it is a good daily driver if you don't need to carry many passengers. Only other problem was the outward vision, it was somewhat lacking with the small windows. Almost like driving a H3 with its limited side view making it hard to judge corners and the like.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents. Its a great time to be a car guy and it is a cool car to have in mix, it looks sweet in person!

Tyler
Old 07-15-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Saw one last night, he turned though...they look mean as hell, i love em. I could care less if it's not much faster than an LS1, its a sweet ride.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

guy from local dealership been driving a black one around
we were out on bike when saw it
looks very nice
I'll give chrysler corp. props on it
might have to go drive one
Old 07-15-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

who the hell wants to run 12s when you can run 10s.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

Your pricing is way off. Heads are $2000 and maybe $500 for a cam. Rear wheel hp is debatable but 415+ has been documented with stock heads/cams depending upon the dyno. Vortech just came out with their supercharger, though. Stroker kits are available too.

The only thing missing is gears. It's tedious to look up, but this is a decent source of info:
http://www.lxforums.com/board/timesl...ter&perpage=25

As far as a lighter platform - no question. However, I'm guessing it's a heavier motor than the LS3.

My buddy at work got
Ported heads from Franks Racing heads
Ported intake
Custom cam
Kooks 1' 7/8" headers
Kooks catted mid pipe
Corsa Catback
PTC 2800 stall
Custom Dyno tune w/ Diablo Tuner

It coast a lot more then $2500. He had a company install all of his parts for him. It was expensive!

Sure he can send the core back from his car and get some money back..but still way too expensive for the price. The thing is that the SRT8 parts are already so good that all of these mods don't add as much.

He has some photos up on horsepowerjunkies.com if you wanna see some pics. His car is so nice. BUT today he told me now he may sell the car and go for the Challanger.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Word on the street is that they pretty much suck due to their obeseness. Think of a fatter GT500...with 75 less hp...and not as easy to gain hp due to no blower...can anyone say "underachieving"?
Word on the street? LMAO!

Overachieving considering alternatives are $80k until the G8 GXP arrives. Know your market segment. Unrefined ricers with big wings and manual trannys were not the target.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jon5212
FYI I believe most "bolt on" LS1 automatics do run 12's... just food for thought. Except for the extreme vagueness of the term "bolt on". Hell I can call my car bolt on as everything done to it is techincally "bolted" in
The reference was it was later disclosed the 116mph trap speed car put lengths on a stock SRT-8. Isn't 116mph the upper end of bolt-on (you know what I mean - I/E/T) LS1s?

DocEwww others have ran 113-114mph. So no question the weight becomes a handicap.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 07-15-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by artist71
H/C/I and a few other mods can get up to around 11k with intall. And you only get between 415 to 440rwhp depending on the tune and how much power is not "lost" in the converter. The SRT8 FINALLY has a supercharger that seems to work for em. Its just so damn expensive to make an SRT8 faster. I wish Dodge would put that engine in a 3200 pound car.
the dodge neon srt-8
Old 07-16-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by foreverzero
the dodge neon srt-8
You laugh but somebody out there has probably done it....
Old 07-16-2008, 09:13 AM

Word on the street? LMAO!

Overachieving considering alternatives are $80k until the G8 GXP arrives. Know your market segment. Unrefined ricers with big wings and manual trannys were not the target.
The GT500 kicks its *** oll over the road and that car is an underachieving tub of lard on wheels. What does that make the Challenger?
Old 07-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are hundreds of them on LS1tech. There are several in the 11's with bolt-ons and a converter/tires.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:50 AM
***Repost Police***

I think the emphasis was on the "sedan" part
Old 07-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
The GT500 kicks its *** oll over the road and that car is an underachieving tub of lard on wheels. What does that make the Challenger?
A more refined, better priced, higher content, uniquely styled alternative with a usable back seat that probably handles just as well with an available AUTOMATIC transmission that performs like any other SRT-8 without ridiculous wheel-well gaps and a hood prop-rod. Hardly underachieving. But I was referring to the SRT-8 line-up, not just the Challenger.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Teching In

I was going to say, the back seat of the challenger looked pretty useless to anyone of average size or bigger. I wasn't about to squeez my way back there, but they probably couldn't have added much more room and keep the shape of the car. The back seat of the challenger is probably about the same as the Mustangs. Now the Charger, that back seat has alot of room and the car is equally as fast!

Tyler
Old 07-17-2008, 02:12 PM

A more refined, better priced, higher content, uniquely styled alternative with a usable back seat that probably handles just as well with an available AUTOMATIC transmission that performs like any other SRT-8 without ridiculous wheel-well gaps and a hood prop-rod. Hardly underachieving. But I was referring to the SRT-8 line-up, not just the Challenger.
So basically it's a nice car for a yuppy family man who doesn't want a 4 door. I would definitely ease up on it if they made a light weight performance version, but as it sits, the weight is unacceptable.