Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this true?

okay, I have a buddy with a 96 lexus sc400. He is trying to sell it and he wants to get an ls1 corvette. That is totally cool and all but, last night he and I argued for like two hours about what the difference was between my car and one. He is under the impression that I wouldn't stand a chance against one right now with my current setup and he thinks after I do my gear change and my headers and ory and dyno tune that I will be like dead even with one. Is this true? What is the difference between the two?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

One big difference is the Weight.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know this is off the subject but i know Lipscomb in burk has a 01 Z06 with 37k on the clock black with purple flames, i think there asking 20 or 21. I was going to get it but i didn't want to get rid of my Z71(Gas prices have the trade in value a lil low). It drove nice shifted good when I test drove it NICE ride if he is serious it's in burk
Old 10-05-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah sway as far as I know he is serious, but you never can tell.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

well your car is basically stock with a cutout, so yeah you'd probably lose to a stock c5. It wouldn't be a huge loss though, maybe 1-2 car lengths.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Back on the subject i outran a 02 C5 auto and I out ran it by 3 we ran 4 times from a dig and plus it was a young unexpericed driver(C5), and all I got done are gears tranny wrk and stickeys and full exhaust. So i'm gonna agree with CrabhartLS1
Old 10-05-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I should have my 3.42s and my headers and tune soon, so hopefully that will make a good difference.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

3.42's? Don't you have 3.23's already? For that small a gear change you would get more gain for less money from an FTRA and pulley.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah no reason to change your gears to a 3.43 if you already have 3.23's. What you need first and foremost is a stall, then some 3.73's if you plan on a gear change at all.

A stall will make up the most ground.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree on not wasting money on a gear change
Old 10-07-2008, 01:33 AM
Banned

I had 421 rwhp on an '02 Firehawk (before the Incon Twin Turbos) and I lost BAD to a stock '02+ Zo6 driven by a police officer... several times. I was with my girl, she asked why he won.

I kid you not, an off duty officer on his way to a fall season mountain cruise (was a big event in north Georgia 2 years ago) beat the snot out of me several times in a stock Zo6. (I checked his car later in the afternoon)

And since then I've driven maybe 500 C5's? (not a typo.... 5 HUNDRED different '97+ Corvettes)

A stock C5 will stomp even a bolt-on f-body... sorry. (with a strong F body and a weak C5 it's a driver's race)
Old 10-07-2008, 01:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
I had 421 rwhp on an '02 Firehawk (before the Incon Twin Turbos) and I lost BAD to a stock '02+ Zo6 driven by a police officer... several times. I was with my girl, she asked why he won.

I kid you not, an off duty officer on his way to a fall season mountain cruise (was a big event in north Georgia 2 years ago) beat the snot out of me several times in a stock Zo6. (I checked his car later in the afternoon)

And since then I've driven maybe 500 C5's? (not a typo.... 5 HUNDRED different '97+ Corvettes)

A stock C5 will stomp even a bolt-on f-body... sorry. (with a strong F body and a weak C5 it's a driver's race)
wow.. **no offense... can you not drive?

wow, you have GOT to be kidding.. bolt on fbody loose to a STOCK C5 LS1 BASE MODEL VETTE.. id drive my damn car off of a cliff unless there was seriously somthing wrong with it.... i beat PLENTY of stock c5s when i just had a loudmouth exhaust and a lid.. 3.23 A4.. a good 5-6 of them.. a4s and m6s.. so dont say driver error.. haha.. i would say you would be dead even with him now, after your lts gears and tune you will walk him litle by little.. wont be a slughter by any means, but something would really have to be Fed up with your car not to win...

also i have seen plenty of friends walk all over c5s..
Old 10-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lemons12
wow.. **no offense... can you not drive?

wow, you have GOT to be kidding.. bolt on fbody loose to a STOCK C5 LS1 BASE MODEL VETTE.. id drive my damn car off of a cliff unless there was seriously somthing wrong with it.... i beat PLENTY of stock c5s when i just had a loudmouth exhaust and a lid.. 3.23 A4.. a good 5-6 of them.. a4s and m6s.. so dont say driver error.. haha.. i would say you would be dead even with him now, after your lts gears and tune you will walk him litle by little.. wont be a slughter by any means, but something would really have to be Fed up with your car not to win...

also i have seen plenty of friends walk all over c5s..
^ I powershift with the best of 'em.... my car didn't have enough *****.

Save the rest of your **** for somebody else... (I've been there and done that in countless f-bodies...... and TONS of C5's)
Old 10-07-2008, 02:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
^ I powershift with the best of 'em.... my car didn't have enough *****.

Save the rest of your **** for somebody else... (I've been there and done that in countless f-bodies...... and TONS of C5's)
was just wondering...

man im not giving anyone ****.. i dont care how many times you have "been there and done that..." doesnt change the fact that a strong bolt on fbody is still going to be neck and neck with a weak c5.. they are neck and neck stock for stock.. granted similar gears,options,driver yada yada.. there is usually about 1 car for the win.. not sually one way or another..

ive have pulled MANY stock c5s.. usually with them dead hooking and me spinning half way through first gear.. i have ALWAYS came back to pass them by the time we hit 90-100mph.. people usually get the jump on me but i always reel em back in and pass them.. along with all my friends.. i have only had one friend loose to vettes on numberous occasions.. and he couldnt drive his car for **** AT ALL.. i dont know maybe me and all my buddies have "factory freaks" lol and everyone we race has POS c5s??? that could be it..

your been there done that attitude doesnt impress anyone and makes you come off as an arrogant *******.... you can drive as many c5s,fbodies, TT firehawks or whatever else you want to brag about as you want.. ive drove my share.. and sure sometimes one will *****feel***** twice as fast.. but line em up and it could be a COMPLETELY different story..
Old 10-07-2008, 02:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anything can happen on the street, I never lost to an LS1 F-body in my bolt on Cobra. And everyone would say I was lying, and a stock C5 Z06 is a high 11 second low 12 second cars so it would beat alot of bolt on F-bodies. In fact I have been told that LT-1 cars are as fast, and I have anally raped LT-1 cars.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by germeezy1
Anything can happen on the street, I never lost to an LS1 F-body in my bolt on Cobra. And everyone would say I was lying, and a stock C5 Z06 is a high 11 second low 12 second cars so it would beat alot of bolt on F-bodies. In fact I have been told that LT-1 cars are as fast, and I have anally raped LT-1 cars.
ok what the hell.... are we talking about c5ls1 cars or are we talking about c5zo6 cars.. BIIIG difference..

second.. you have been told that lt1 cars are as fast as c5zo6s??? or ls1s??? either way its bs.. who are you getting this from.. wow
Old 10-07-2008, 02:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was unclear LT-1 guys seems to believe N/A Cobra's are childs play. And you give a C5 the same power and it won't get off the line like an F-body but from a roll and as the speeds rise...the C5 is no joke.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was unclear LT-1 guys seems to believe N/A Cobra's are childs play. And you give a C5 the same power and it won't get off the line like an F-body but from a roll and as the speeds rise...the C5 is no joke.
99-02 or whatever year cobras arent anything laugh about.. but.. the c5 has the same power..

ive pulled every one of them ive raced on the topend..
Old 10-07-2008, 02:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok I am confused can you see a reason why a lighter C5 with better aero wouldn't pull you from a roll with the exact same power? In fact let me rephrase that I have never lost to an F-body period...you must be a better driver than the ones in my area.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ok I am confused can you see a reason why a lighter C5 with better aero wouldn't pull you from a roll with the exact same power? In fact let me rephrase that I have never lost to an F-body period...you must be a better driver than the ones in my area.
im an a4.. i leave it in drive and go... in all fairness my car did run pretty good.. all i had done was loudmouth and a lid and it went 8.4@84.. it was full weight

i have no idea how/why i beat any of them.. all i know is i did.. when i had those mods the only thing i ever lost to was a 347 stroker mustang.. as far as i can recall.. dont believe there was anything else.. but there has been a lot..

Quick Reply: Is this true?