Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Who here lifts reguarly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 02:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Who here lifts reguarly?

im sure brad and a few other guys can tell ya that im a ****** little small ***** haha

i just started lifting 5 days a week.... and i bought some supplements... i take 100% whey protein an hour b4 the gym then right when i get back from the gym on lifting days... on off days i take 2 shakes in between meals ( 1 scoop per shake) and i take black powder right b4 i go to the gym...

what is everyone's lifting routine? i freakin love it b4 this i was a lazy basterd and had no motivation now im like full of life and feeling the burn i freakin love it! GETTIN BIG!
Old 11-08-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to lift a lot, then I stopped. Now I am getting back into it. One thing I learned is that you can lift until your blue in the face, but if you don't eat correctly you won't get bigger. I started talking to a few body builders and they told me how to start eating the right way. 2 shakes just isn't enough. You have to eat a small meal every 3 hours as well. They told me to eat 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight a day. So if you weigh 200 lbs, eat 200 grams of protein a day! There are also different kinds of proteins some fast digesting, some slow digesting. Take the slow stuff before bead (I think its kasein protein).
Good luck to you, now start eating like its your job!
Old 11-08-2008, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

yea i've done some researching and u got to get 1 gram of protein per pound a day... im workin on it but bein in college u get restricted to wat the dining commons has to offer the whey protein def helps that tho
Old 11-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im sure NOSTANG will chime in here if he sees this.... hes been lifting for like 10+ years.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, the protein shakes are great. I have also been eating a LOT of peanut butter sandwiches on white bread. Most people said I would get fat but my metabolism is so fast I can pretty much eat whatever I want. If you have a grill you can buy a bunch of med size chicken breasts, grill them all at once and eat them all week.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I could find the motivation to lift more, I am pretty scrawny. I do 100 push ups a day as well as cardio (jogging or bike riding). I used to do flys and curls, I should really start those again.

One more thing, if you do a lot of lifting make sure you get plenty of sleep, that's when your muscles repair themselves.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

If you are tall and skinny like I was try eating at least 20-30 grams of protien perm meal. Increase your lift intensity, that means when you lift put your all into it without hurting youself. The best way to train is to find someone that is on your schedule to lift with so they can motivate you and keep pushing you harder. I started out before the Navy at 165lbs 6'2. I then started lifting more and went on to about 185lbs. The last couple of years after the Navy I started hitting it real hard about 4 days a week went from 6'3 inches 185lbs to 210lbs with only taking protien and amino acids (helps break down protien). PM me and I can tell you about some of the routines I have wen through with different results.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Try this if you would prefer to work out at home on little time! I have had friends use it and when I get my house with a basement I will get it too!

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...YAHOO_SEM_P90X
Old 11-08-2008, 04:55 PM
10 Second Club

Talking

I lift a lot.
I lift the cheeseburgers up to my mouth, sometimes I lift some turkey sandwiches too. I'm often seen at the local bakery lifting brownies sometimes as well.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Banned

Lift heavy weight with less reps u pack on more size and mass, Lift light and more reps u will get cut up. I always lift heavy to be strong, I would rather be strong than look strong
Old 11-08-2008, 05:27 PM
11 Second Club

yea i do go with my roomate here at college... we have a 5 day routine and go together for a good hour and a half + each day pushing eachother all the way (esp because hes bigger then me)... and i always lift as much weight as possible, i do 12 reps per set... i lift the heaviest i can until i cant and then i drop down 5 or 10lbs and finish the set to 12 reps... the next day the muscles i worked are always sore... it feels good, i want to get stronger and look good...
Old 11-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Banned

Well i always pyramid up on my benching and squatting and deadlifting, I start with something i can do 10 times then i add weight and do 8 reps then add weight and do 6 reps all the way till im maxed out, Then other weeks i do reps of 10 3 sets as heavy as possible. When i started i was 16 and 180 pounds and my bench was 180 within 8 months i was benching over 300 and weighed 215 and i didnt take nothing just eat everything in sight. I didnt get fat but i bulked up real good had just alittle gut
Old 11-08-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

i lift three times a week at the time because im still recovering from shoulder surgery. every monday wed nd friday after work i lift my lower body and core. i lift for baseball im a pithcher and legs and core r key. i lift at home but we have everything i could ever need at my house leg press squat rack all the goods. at the time im liftin real heavy tryin to put weight on i feel that if u can do the same amount of reps as the set befor ur not liftin hard enough. but ive actually gained about 8lbs last month.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28rob18
at the time im liftin real heavy tryin to put weight on i feel that if u can do the same amount of reps as the set befor ur not liftin hard enough. but ive actually gained about 8lbs last month.
good point... thats exactly how i look at it... but when i cant finish my set, i drop weight and then finish it up
Old 11-08-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
Im sure NOSTANG will chime in here if he sees this.... hes been lifting for like 10+ years.
Haha, that is funny that you posted that...lmao.

Anyway, stick with multiple muscle group lifts and do them heavy (no more than 6 reps) unless you are doing it for looks. When I start off training people I have them do 6 basic exercises (deadlift, squat, bench press incline&flat, dips, pullups and bent over rows). I am more of a powerlifter and try for maximal strength but I also through in some speed workouts with lighter weights (50-60% 1 rep max) for explosiveness and power for sports. Once you get some more experience you can throw in clean and jerks, power cleans, and jump squats. You should eat right but that really takes a few years of tracking and trial and error to get it right. I would focus on getting 1 gram per bodyweight of whey protein --works better 20 min after the workout with a quick digesting carb---and a 30 30 40 diet (30% carbs, 30% fat, 4% protein). Lift heavy, eat right (no fries/pizza/alcohol), don't skip the cardio, and get plenty of rest.

PS--work you legs at least twice per week as a bunch of power will come from your legs/core. Also, don't become the guy that does curls on the squat rack for 12 sets of 10.

Last edited by Nostang; 11-19-2008 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

i've been working out 5 days a week for a few years. right now i'm 150lbs (i'm only 5'6)and bench about 280. i do it more for looks so i do cardio daily. i'd start out with compound movements (bench, rows, mil press) rather than isolations. the key is consistancey. i seem to do well with 40/40/20 macros but everyone is different. i recommend throwing in some carbs with your post work out shake as well. check out bodybuilding.com. it is the ls1tech of weight training.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

thx guys, i wont lie i want to gain weight and muscle but i also want to get a great tone look for the ladies
Old 11-09-2008, 07:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ive been training for yrs. most of them heavy and intense. while i made excellent results size and strengthwise i also lost alot of flexibility and had a few injuries. nothing permanent but training heavy can take its toll.

id rather sacrifice some size and strength to be lean with a 6 pack. but i always go back and forth.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:26 AM
11 Second Club

prosource.net is a great place good prices and very fast shipping. The protein you want is NitroWhey Ultra check it out. Take one scoop 1/2 hr before gym and one scoop right after,and mid-afternoon. 3-4 days is plenty one on one off do legs beginning of week as it will kick your testonerone high for the rest of week. Stay away from those bodybuilding sites all crap and just want your money. Multiply your weight by 18 and that is your daily calorie intake for bulking, 1 gram per pound for protein,2-2.5 carbs complex carbs not simple ,and 0.5 for fat healthy fats. Bulk up as much as you can over the winter then around April just do heavy cardio so you can burn the fat off all the new muscle you got. Remember during bulking you will gain fat it's normal that's why you will do just cardio come early spring.

Last edited by 02BEAST; 11-09-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

I hear you guy when you say that you want to gain weight and stay lean at the same time! Most people will tell you that it is not possible unless you eat as clean as possible, but I have found a way to get results in size bet not loose much flexibility. I lift heavy one day and then light the next. Example: I will do chest and tris heavy on monday 4 sets with 4-6 reps per exercise with 1.5 to 2 mins rest in between. I will take the next day off and then do shoulders and legs 8-10 reps with 4 sets light but still challenge every rep......
I only eat wheat bread and stay away from white bread. Make sure if you are going to stick with this that you slack off and spoil yourself (pizza w/ meat, wings......) at least on day on the weekend or you will get fed up and quit alot of times. we are training to look and feel better not to compete!!!!!