Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

LEO question....i was stalked... want opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 11:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry LEO question....i was stalked... want opinions

make a long story short.....

i stopped at Wawa to get soda pulled in and there were 4 cops standing outside the door talking to each other. i get out of my car, say hello to the officers and go inside. while waiting in line i see one cop look in the window and see where i was. when i came out the were in there cars. i leave and they had a car at each exit of the parking lot waiting for me. i pull out and about 1/4mi down the road i was pulled over.

the cop was rude to me and asking that if i knew "how illegal my car was" i said yeah my tint. and if he was to search my car if he would find anything guns,drugs, weapons i said no.

then i waited for 20 mins in my car as he was BS w/ another cop that was there. before he got out i noticed a red light in the center of his windsield meaning he had turn his camera on and when he came to my car, he was as nice as could be telling me about my tickets and how to pay for them

i got 3 tickets. loud muffler,tint, and no front plate....

bottom line i was wondering if they are aloud to "stalk" people from private property and then eventually pull you over?

sorry it was long

thanks
brandon
Old 03-08-2009, 11:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sucks,but they can do that.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:06 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

That sucks, had I seen them I would have passed the Wawa.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had the same thing happen where they keep you there pulled over and just go on and on busting your ***** and then dont do anything after its all done. as far as i know there's nothing you can do. one thing i always wanted to try was set up a camera in my own car. that would be the only way to get them i think.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:28 PM
10 Second Club

the layout of the parking lot and store i couldnt see them or the cars until i pulled into the parking spot, the cars were on the other side of the building
Old 03-08-2009, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

had i known that was going to happen, i woulda went back inside and told the employees that my car wouldnt start and that ill get it towed out asap lol the cops cant stay there forever lol
Old 03-08-2009, 12:53 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by stealth355tpi
ive had the same thing happen where they keep you there pulled over and just go on and on busting your ***** and then dont do anything after its all done. as far as i know there's nothing you can do. one thing i always wanted to try was set up a camera in my own car. that would be the only way to get them i think.
You can't record/tape an officer without making it known you are taping. Of course once you tell them, they will tell you to turn it off.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Self-Admitted Scammer

i usually turn my camera mount on when i get pulled over. dont really care. they are recording me so im going to record them.

im not sure what to say but whatever you do dont take off your tints or anything, wait as long as possible to pay it. usually i let it go to almost warrant status just to make the courthouse do extra work
Old 03-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I would have stayed there until they left, or went back in your car and made an extremely long phone call. They can't say anything when you're parked anywhere and on a cell phone as it's illegal to use it while driving, so as long as you're on teh phone they can't bother you about loitering.

No way I would have left until they were all gone, and I would have went the oher direction.

The plate ticket is just a fine, that's not a moving violation and won't go against your record at all, the tint, you can have tested and either get a legal sticker, or just peel it off, go thru and then have it redone. The loud muffler, well I kept my stock catback just in case I ever got nailed for that one just so I had a way to make the car as quiet as possible. If you still have it, toss it back on and go thru the check, chances are that will be enough so it will be fine, then again, just take it back off.

Make sure when you get the car all checked out you have all the paperwork in the car in case you ever get that harrassment again, you can just present them with the paperwork right there that the car went thru inspecion and passed, at that point they will probably leave you alone.

This is one more reason I don't drive my car around anymore, the local new britain cops all knew teh car and liked it, and just told me to keep it slow and safe... more probably the fact that it was a white english speaking male that drove/owned the car. Had I been a minority, I'd have probably gotten busted with it a 1/2 dozen times I'm sure.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i freakin love stories like this... when cops get "bored" and just deciede to harass a good citizen who isnt harming anyone or starting any trouble... its bullshit
Old 03-08-2009, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

"bottom line i was wondering if they are aloud to "stalk" people from private property and then eventually pull you over?" Sorry but it's a common misunderstanding that your on private property, if that was the case then you wouldn't be allowed there either. The business is privately owned but the property is for public use and there for fair game. Don't want to run the risk of getting pulled over then don't give them an excuse... or don't complain when they do.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Teching In

that's rough man. you get that a lot a town over from me. mainly because it's full of 16 year old kids in hondas racing and ****.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Teching In

With the states straped for REVENUE, it sounds like a revenue enhanchment program.
sort of like the seatbelt law where the police stand at the mass new, hampshire borders looking for people that have no seatbelts on.Qiuck$$ for the states.
They got to stop harrasing the motorists except the ones who are blatent offenders.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as long as when they pull you over they are on public streets yes they can do it. hope that answers your question only way they can't is if you are on said private property and you do not leave and go back on public roads.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:05 PM
10 Second Club

Sucks man, sounds like they were bored. I could give a **** how "illegal" my car is. It goes through inspection just fine.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by My84Z
as long as when they pull you over they are on public streets yes they can do it. hope that answers your question only way they can't is if you are on said private property and you do not leave and go back on public roads.
It doesn't matter if you are in front of private retail space, they can write you regardless. It will have "I/F/O" 123 Main Street (In front of 123 Main St) as to the place of occurance. Chances are if you had you front plate properly mounted, they wouldn't have written the others.

All I'm saying is don't give them the rope to hang you.

(15 years LEO experience- never had a summons book)
Old 03-08-2009, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

Ohhh... BTW... plead not guilty and show receipts for exhaust and mounted plate, and if you want to you can scrape the tint and offer pictures to show that these equipment violations have all been addressed and corrected.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by datz kool
With the states straped for REVENUE, it sounds like a revenue enhanchment program.
sort of like the seatbelt law where the police stand at the mass new, hampshire borders looking for people that have no seatbelts on.Qiuck$$ for the states.
They got to stop harrasing the motorists except the ones who are blatent offenders.
well i dont know how it is in your state but in maryland that traffic stop is not what you call a revenue maker. the tint ticket and loud muffler are repair orders and the state doesn't make any money for it in maryland. The front plate is like 60 bucks here so they arent making any money. and if you are doing something illegal they can get you even on private property, for exmaple, you cant smoke weed in your house just because it's your private property.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

I've had a cop who was driving in front of me, pull over on the side of the road, let me pass, then pull right back out and pull me over. I was doing the speed limit, I wasn't tailgating. She accused me of being all over the road (as if i was drunk) but I sober and driving as straight as an arrow. Luckily she didn't bust my ***** about the tint. She gave me a verbal warning to stay in the lane and I was back on my way.

Bottle line is COPS do whatever the want.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Teching In

The police around here are cool, knock on wood. I guess the fact that I live in a college town takes some of the focus off of me and puts it on the students doing keg stands and lighting couches on fire...