Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

The itch finally got me!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:25 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default The itch finally got me!

Since having in my opinion some really nice weekends and with the rain more or less washing all that salt brine away I decided to put the car back on the road this Friday!!

After looking at the weather, I could not see any reason why not!!

I decided to put the insurance back on this friday, I cannot wait.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...nav_undeclared

I do have things to do

To Do List.....

Wax the nose, so bugs do not stain the bumper like it did with the prev owner.
Oil Change
o2 Sensor Swap, one or 2 is bad
Check for Broken trans mount
Diff Fluid Flush

And when I have the cash a BMR TQ arm mount/Trans cross member and get that TQ arm off the trans.

Then the wife needs brakes on her HHR since GM rotors I think use steel from sunken battleships and those things warp if you look at them the wrong way. Some slotted rotors and good brakes and might as well paint the calipers. Its a Purple Met. paint so I gotta think about it. I am thinking Silver for the caliper and Black for the Bracket.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good to hear, i plan to do stereo stuff to both my cars this weekend and get the WS6 up and running again
Old 03-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by thechef
good to hear, i plan to do stereo stuff to both my cars this weekend and get the WS6 up and running again
Yea, the passanger side door speaker I have had once freak out and make some stupid noise, I have read and seen on other cars it happening. If it goes I will put something better in there.

But for the most part I do like my stock sound system. Funny part CD's are louder then the radio at the same volume level.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:38 AM

if you need a door speaker let me know, i am replacing ALL mine in the WS6 hopefully i will get to it this weekend, you can have a door speaker if ya need one
Old 03-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Internet Mechanic

if you need a door speaker let me know, i am replacing ALL mine in the WS6 hopefully i will get to it this weekend, you can have a door speaker if ya need one
I'll take it if you don't need it. Let me know when they are out.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Great minds must think alike . I was pondering the same thing for this weekend.

I change my oil and do all that **** before I put it away though, and I never take off insurance. So it's ready to rock when I take it out. (Although it needs new front pads soon)

I hear you about GM rotors. Wife's G6 had like 34k miles and already needs new fronts. Although my Bonneville has 80k on it and the originals are just about done. Even my stock WS6 rotors I yanked off at 30k.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Nice, Aaron. Now you just need to get ready so you can hit up the Jannetty rental day with us on May 22nd. JUST DO IT.

I, too, need to do an oil and rear fluid change. I also just ordered up this tranny mount if you want to check it out before it goes in (probably going in Saturday night). It will be here tomorrow. Seems like the one to go with and you can't beat $21.95.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I can't wait to get my car back together so I can do a full wash/wax/detail. It kills me to see it sitting on those jack stands for as long as it has been.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1. I'm anxiously awaiting to tackle my "Things to do" list as well. Nothing like having a complete set of new dba slotted rotors, hawk ceramic pads, and new rear springs in my basement. My gto has 36k on the clock and the rotors (never turned) and the pads are original.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Got1Goat
+1. I'm anxiously awaiting to tackle my "Things to do" list as well. Nothing like having a complete set of new dba slotted rotors, hawk ceramic pads, and new rear springs in my basement. My gto has 36k on the clock and the rotors (never turned) and the pads are original.
How many sets of tires??
Old 03-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Put pads on the hhr and call it a day. I wouldn't waste the $ putting slotted rotors on there, slap pads on there and they'll true the rotors back to round on their own LOL
Old 03-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Put pads on the hhr and call it a day. I wouldn't waste the $ putting slotted rotors on there, slap pads on there and they'll true the rotors back to round on their own LOL
That would be interesting. I also found R1 concepts sells rotors..... mmhmm. Sadly my Autozone specials on the T/A has never had an issue and I have over 10k on them.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my 4 6.5 speakers are all blown, been like that for 2 years now and never replaced them. i do need to replace them. the small tweeters in the back just sound silly.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
That would be interesting. I also found R1 concepts sells rotors..... mmhmm. Sadly my Autozone specials on the T/A has never had an issue and I have over 10k on them.
Slap pads on it and run it. I used to do the whole change the rotors and pads at the same time, until the last time I did the brakes on my old truck. Things lasted just as long as they did when I changed the rotors.. and ended up costing me about 1/3 what it would have if I did the rotor's too.

I'd run 2 sets of pads on a set of rotors, then have the things cut, and use them for 2 more sets of pads. That whole thing about the brakes not working as good on a used rotor is BS I don't believe a word of it.

In a tight $ situation.. it's a no brainer. Pads, and call it a day. Nevermind it now becomes a 1/2 hour job to do both front sides when all you have to do is loosen one bolt, pull the top bolt, slide the caliper back, push it open with the old pads and a pair of vise grips, slap the new pads in with some stop squeak, and then slide the thing back on, reinstall the top bolt and tighten the lower one.

It took me longer to get the tires on and off my truck then it did to actually change the pads.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Internet Mechanic

^ Yea, maybe I can gave that a shot and see if it does a fix. You know my money $$$ so we will see.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by kenSS
my 4 6.5 speakers are all blown, been like that for 2 years now and never replaced them. i do need to replace them. the small tweeters in the back just sound silly.
i would i got 1 or 2 blown speakers in the back and it sounds horrible to me

i contacted Ian@ KEE AUDIO a sponsor here and he has replacement pkgs that are REALLY fairly priced and are direct replacements but with better quality so i went with his stuff
Old 03-19-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would i got 1 or 2 blown speakers in the back and it sounds horrible to me

i contacted Ian@ KEE AUDIO a sponsor here and he has replacement pkgs that are REALLY fairly priced and are direct replacements but with better quality so i went with his stuff
i did this last summer, its amazing the difference from stock to CDT / bazooka setup i did while still running the stock amp
Old 03-19-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

I plan on registering mine tomorrow, i keep insurance on it year round though. My vanity plate expires every year.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:14 AM
Internet Mechanic

Drove her this morning. I sorta forgot how annoying a broken tru trac diff is, and definitly something is banging around under neath. I am taking it to my bro's shop to give it a once over tommorrow but otherwise it felt good to drive something nice!
Old 03-20-2009, 06:39 AM
Staging Lane

How many sets of tires??
Too many - according to my wife. Thank god for cheap tire prices through the internet. Yes, I support sponsors to the right and just received 4 new tires for wifey's car - her turn. Ha-Ha.

Last edited by Got1Goat; 03-20-2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:42 AM
Race your car!

Drove her this morning. I sorta forgot how annoying a broken tru trac diff is, and definitly something is banging around under neath. I am taking it to my bro's shop to give it a once over tommorrow but otherwise it felt good to drive something nice!
I bet taht tq arm mount broke, and that's what caused the wheel hop that killed the diff... ya probably just never noticed the clunking because now it's really broke.

I bet it's bent like a **** like a pic I saw in another thread that was being talked about. 6500 rpm launches with slicks + 4000 lb raceweight the car's seeing forces on the tq arm bracket that are probably similar to what my car sees honestly.

It's broke, park it before something else gets broken!