Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV
View Poll Results: 11 sec TA or 12 sec C5?
TA
51.72%
C5
48.28%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Mod TA or buy used C5???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mod TA or buy used C5???

OK, should I mod my 2001 TA with 72k miles or buy a used C5 with 65k miles for about 15K. I would do about 8K worth of mods to the TA and make it run 11's. Im figuring I can get about 10k for the TA which leaves me with 3k for mods to the vette. Ultimately the TA would be faster and this is my weekend/track car only. But this may be my only chance in a LONG time for me to get a vette.

What would you do?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:19 PM
9 Second Club

I have a bit of a bias here but take it for what its worth to you. Doesnt matter if the T/A is modded or not at the end of the day its still a T/A...

But if your going only looking to go drag racing and go fast take the T/A the vette will break you!!!!!!!!! The vettes are not ideal drag cars. But they are an *** load of fun!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:35 PM
FormerVendor

Pick up the vette. You wont be dissapointed.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not a huge fan of stock looking c5's especially since the c6 has come out. only way id go with a vette itd be a c5Zo6 or c6. depending what type of c5 you get i believe your only looking at an ls1 or ls2 for engine options. overall i think i would enjoy the vette more then a t/a and will be an overall better performer.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:50 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you attatched to the TA? Do you need a backseat? That's my quandry that I'm in. I'd like to get a corvette, but I ordered my T/A and have owned since it had 7.0 miles on it, went on the Power Tour in it with my Dad, so I've got an emotional attatchment to it, as weird as it sounds. Also, I have two young kids who I like taking with us to car shows, so a back seat is neccesary.

For me, I'll pick up a c6 in a few years once the kids are out of daycare and I have no car payments. Then I'll just need to build another garage on the house and keep the two toys there.

So I guess it comes down to want you really want, and if you have any attatchment to your car. I like the way vettes look slammed with larger rims and all moldings removed, especially the targa tops.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:53 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The actual cost to beef up the C5's driveline will be very costly and very much a requirement if you try to run for a number. Also if you do not have a Lift, your in for a fun time working on a C5.....

If it was any consolation. I washed and wax my T/A last night and took it for a quick cruise, there is a house down the road from me w/ a Nassau Blue (or Med. Blue Metallic) c5 that looks nice, the owner was checking out my car hardcore. I was only going for a spin, so on the way back I made it a point to pass the house and he was just staring the car down as I rolled by in 2nd. Me thinks he was jealous. lol.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:03 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
The actual cost to beef up the C5's driveline will be very costly and very much a requirement if you try to run for a number. Also if you do not have a Lift, your in for a fun time working on a C5.....

If it was any consolation. I washed and wax my T/A last night and took it for a quick cruise, there is a house down the road from me w/ a Nassau Blue (or Med. Blue Metallic) c5 that looks nice, the owner was checking out my car hardcore. I was only going for a spin, so on the way back I made it a point to pass the house and he was just staring the car down as I rolled by in 2nd. Me thinks he was jealous. lol.
I disagree with this post! The cost to beef up the C5 driveline is cheaper than replacing the standard 10 bolt with a 9" or a 12 bolt rear in an Fbody. However the life expectancy is unsure even with a beefed up C5 rear. And as for working on the car without a lift its a mith. I truly feel the C5s are easier to work on. Not to mention the entire engine can be seen when you open the hood. The dam F-body half the motor is behind the dash board. That sounds like fun doing a heads project. But you still have to deal with the steering rack in the C5 thats a bummer.

I would watchout for your neighbor there may be another issue there LMAO!!!!!!!!

My car tends to turn a couple heads here and there when I pull in a parking lot. LOL
Old 10-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by mikep2002
I disagree with this post! The cost to beef up the C5 driveline is cheaper than replacing the standard 10 bolt with a 9" or a 12 bolt rear in an Fbody. However the life expectancy is unsure even with a beefed up C5 rear. And as for working on the car without a lift its a mith. I truly feel the C5s are easier to work on. Not to mention the entire engine can be seen when you open the hood. The dam F-body half the motor is behind the dash board. That sounds like fun doing a heads project. But you still have to deal with the steering rack in the C5 thats a bummer.

I would watchout for your neighbor there may be another issue there LMAO!!!!!!!!

My car tends to turn a couple heads here and there when I pull in a parking lot. LOL
A beefed up c5 rear is not a bullet proof rear and when you do break that rear it is big bucks, I have priced them and of course getting one set up with a aftermarket gear ratio is insane money.

its going to cost a person 2,200 to generally do a 12 bolt swap and + the cost of DS. Never mind the "Corvette" Tax when it comes to ANY aftermarket mod, in the end that extra 3k will be a drop in the bucket compared to a Fbody.

IMO if you plan on Drag Racing stick with the Fbody, if you want just a nice driver or maybe a auto cross car, I could see the c5 being a viable choice.

The engine being half under the cowl (actually 1/3rd) is not a big deal, If you know what your doing its not an issue. Dealing with a clutch swap on a C5 or a Fuel pump swap are the true PITA jobs.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Banned

I have owned 2001 WS6 Vert and currently own 2 C5. When I had both the WS6 and the FRC (both 6 speeds), I never really drove the WS6 since it was so much more fun driving the C5. As far as the fun factor is concerned, I would DEFINATLY say the C5 is more fun to drive.

If you are looking to drag race, go with the F-body. If you are into road racing, go with the Vette. Others might disagree but I have done both with both cars and this is just my personal preference.

For the upgrades, that is all relative. Either car is expensive to upgrade, it's just how much......
Old 10-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mikep2002
...My car tends to turn a couple heads here and there when I pull in a parking lot. LOL
Yes, turns heads and starts earthquakes when you drop the hammer.

Anyway, having driven a number of F-Bodys, I can honestly say that the overall driving experience of a C5 is much more rewarding. Of course this is my opinion, but I think anyone with a few marbles upstairs would agree.

Plus with the state of the C5 market, there's absolutely no reason you couldn't pick up a cheap C5 and spend the rest of your money on bolt-ons. With my luck, I bought a nice C5 before the market tanked and now I'm kicking myself, but how was I to know?
Old 10-23-2009, 08:58 AM
9 Second Club

LS123 Know exactly what he is talking about........
Old 10-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Internet Mechanic

I have had exp in both, had a few friends who bough cheap c5's (see high milage) and they did need work and he was/is a GM tech and had access to lifts, tools, and knowledge but when he bought mods or did work. If he had been a normal enthusiast, I think the cost would be greater and harder then with a Fbody (not that Fbodies are a cake walk to work on).

As for the Original Post:

For about 3-4k he can be running high 11's with ease: He should be close now. But a Rear, 100 Shot (to keep it mild), and a set of tires for the track. 15k for a C5 seems damn cheap, I did a Autotrader search....

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...first_record=1

Zip Code 06492 (for me in CT)
200 mi
1998 to 2002 Corvette
12k to 25k

The majority were in the 21-19k and nothing in the teens that was newer then 2000, and the milage ranged. There will be matience to be expected and when buying a car, that should be factored in.

I got my 02 T/A w/ 30k back in 2006 and still spent money on 4 new tires, brakes, fluid changes and clutch assembly that was a easy 1000-1500 (for everything but clutch) extra ontop of the 16k price tag (which was considere reasonable in 2006. The clutch I went with was a Textrailia and that is not cheap so dont factor that in but at least a LS7 is going to put you back 700.

So in the end, if your going to stretch yourself and you really want a C5, do not worry about racing it, just enjoy it. C5's are about the only Corvette I sit well in aside from c2's from 70 and up and 98 and newer c5/c6. At the time the c5's were still 8-10k higher then my T/A and just was not feasible. Ultimately you are the one to lay the money down. You could consider selling the T/A, sitting on the cash and waiting for the C5 market to really drop.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 10-23-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been thinking about this question for years...

I still have my TA

Vette is a better platform in general period. easier to work on too imho. I just got to many attachments to the TA, emotional and otherwise. When I get a Vette eventually (or similar car) I'll just park it next to the TA. Just can't part with her.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
I've been thinking about this question for years...

I still have my TA

Vette is a better platform in general period. easier to work on too imho. I just got to many attachments to the TA, emotional and otherwise. When I get a Vette eventually (or similar car) I'll just park it next to the TA. Just can't part with her.
I am with you on this one as well. I want a C5 Z very bad..but I would have to sell my camaro and I just cant do it. I bought it in 05 with 10k on her and she now has 30k and still every bit as mint if not better when i picked it up. Its something I cant part with so until I can have them both...thats when i will have my vette. Not to mention...a lot of the f bodies I am seeing on the market are high mileage and showing their age....a clean one may be tough to come by soon. How many clean 3rd gens do you know of?
I see probably 6-10 vettes a day and I hardly ever see V8 4th gens...regardless I still want one too...
Old 10-23-2009, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98hardtopSS
I am with you on this one as well. I want a C5 Z very bad..but I would have to sell my camaro and I just cant do it. I bought it in 05 with 10k on her and she now has 30k and still every bit as mint if not better when i picked it up. Its something I cant part with so until I can have them both...thats when i will have my vette. Not to mention...a lot of the f bodies I am seeing on the market are high mileage and showing their age....a clean one may be tough to come by soon. How many clean 3rd gens do you know of?
I see probably 6-10 vettes a day and I hardly ever see V8 4th gens...regardless I still want one too...
Yeah your car looks great. BTW I saw you on the road yesterday (Baldwinville) I was in the bonneville heading to my buds in templeton. Car sounds great! I want to steal your Fikse's too

Vettes are nice, but nice looking F-body's are becoming rarer. I do see tons of vettes too.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

It all comes down what you want to do with the car. If you plan on strictly drag racing stay with the T/A.

There absolutely no comparison stock vs stock the C5 is a much better and nicer car. I bought a C5Z because i told myself i was done modding cars and i would be happy with an 11 sec car that can be a daily driver and tear up cars costing 3x as much on the road course. Unfortunately, i'm ready for more hp. I am a modding addict and i can't leave cars alone. I really want to pay the car off before i go overboard.

I have been on the road course twice, that is truly the only way you can enjoy a vette is rowing gears on a road course. It's so much fun and very addicting. Only thing that stops me from getting serious is the $$$. Road racing cost a fortune, and it will tear the car up.

I picked up my C5Z 7 months ago after watching the price on them drop about 8-10k in a period of 6 months and will only continue to drop. Out of the box they are a lot of fun. I grin every time i get on it. The car rides so much nicer then an fbody, not nearly as many creaks/rattles/squeaks. The engine on a C5 is easier to work on, the rest of the car not so much. My car is lowered as far as it can go on stock bolts and its a pain in the *** to get under it. Absolutely hate working on anything under the car without a lift. Pretty much you get to a point with every car that is only gets a lot more expensive from then on out. After bolt-ons and maybe a cam you will start to wear parts out fast.

I never sold my camaro because i have that attachment part and i want to build it up in the future. Of course i think done right 3rd gens are a lot sexier cars then 4th gens and can do everything a 4th gen can and better. Also a lot easier to work on under the hood.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Myself id keep the transam. They dont make that brand anymore and hell the company will be no more. Corvettes are a dime a dozen.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:36 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the responses. I think I am leaning toward keeping the TA, being that I am going to be using it strictly as a track car not an autoX. After my many many tickets I've gotten through the years, I drive like a grandma on the highways now, so I don't think ill be able to utilize the best things about a C5 on the highways.

Also I've been driving an F-body for 10 years and do have an attachment to it.

And to answer a poster, I pulled the back seats out long ago to save weight etc..

Cars.com listing had much better listings than autotrader.

Last edited by 01bird58; 10-24-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

keep the trans am, and mod it!!, later on when the price of the c6 drops get one of those and keep the ta
Old 10-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Self-Admitted Scammer

i would dump the TA for a C6. don't get a C5..they are outdated now. but the f-body is junk compared to a vette