Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Snow (rust prevention)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow (rust prevention)

Hey guys i just recently moved to NY and i was thinking about buying a cts-v withing the next year but i dont have a garage to store it. I absolutely hate rust (especially on my brakes) but i know that when they salt the roads it kills your car. do you guys have any suggestions about keeping your car rust free or am i just screwed. i currently have a cavalier and i would like to keep it but im in the city and parking well lets just say i cant have 3 cars. (one belongs to my wife) any suggestions?
Old 11-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can have a coating sprayed to the under side of the car but there are areas in the engine bay....bolts....all kinds of stuff that is going to rust. The best thing you can do is wash the car often. I used to jack my car up on ramps and go under with simple green and a brush once or twice a year.

If you keep the car clean the underbody wont rust for many years and when it does it will be very minimal.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

have it professionally undercoated
Old 11-02-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

OEM V rotors rust without much help. The calipers are painted pretty nicely so you won't see any rust on them, but you will want to paint the rotors if it bothers you, or get new ones.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:27 PM
9 Second Club

cts v parked on the street in NYC?????????
Not a good idea IMO, keep the Cavalier
Old 11-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh it's New York city?

I'd trade any car I had an try to find a 1,500.00 beater. The money spent on a car in the city would be better spent anywhere else.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

he never said the city. just NY. i was assume he means somewhere upstate, since thats where they use salt alot more. plus there are car washes everywhere. unless he means the city, and doesnt realize they rarely use salt, and when they do, its gone in a matter of days. cars never rust in NYC, or even here in jersey. only until you get into sussex county and ny state do they start salting heavily.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:30 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For rotors, if they are not ZINC coated/washed, people take regular rotors, paint them with high temp black paint all over, then take the rotor to have the paint taken off the surface where the pad would contact. That should solve any rust on rotor issues.

As for the underside, just clean often. My car has a spot or 2 from the prev owner, from Boston winters. Nothing major but you see them. I look to have those fixed in the next few years.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:45 AM
9 Second Club

op says he's in the city. I work in the city and live in nj and I get a decent amount of salt on the car, especially on the pkwy and turnpike.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

im in queens. so city like. i do have parking behind my house. only 2 cars fit, mine and my soon to be wifes. so they arent out where everybody can see them. they are in my backyard (if you cant call it that lol). i just dont want to get a sick car like a V then have a **** load of rust during the winter because it sits outside and i have to drive it occasionally when it snows. we will mostly take her truck when it snows. i was thinking if i got one that i would just car cover it when im not driving during snow days and take it to the car wash once or twice a week when its not freezing. this wont happen for like another year anyways but i do want to figure it out. Thanks for all the help guys. Oh and BTW for people who said that they would buy a beater cuz i park in the street, its more or less just outside. if i have to go to a store i have to park in the street. people on my block have everything from a lexus isf to brand new range rovers. im not in a bad neighborhood.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:06 AM
9 Second Club

Backyard is good. I think if you just use a carwash during snow season and get under there after the season and clean it good it will be fine.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks guys and i appreciate all the feedback.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

queens isnt a hell of a lot different then where i live. it sure isnt manhatten. much more suburban. its also not in the rust belt. youre worrying a little too much about rust. take a look around your neighborhood now. are there alot of rusted cars? look for the oldest one and take a look underneath. i can almost guarantee there wont be any rust there. whatever salt is used during ice, it will more then likely melt off an be gone within days. not to mention there are plenty of car washes around.

where you live isnt any different then where i am now. i could probably be at your door in an hour, traffic depending. my father had an 85 doge van, from new till around 2000. not a rust hole anywhere. we had an 89 beretta, new till 95 when i got her. drove her daily again till 2002, including a year in upstate ny, where they use salt like its going out of style. when i finally had to sell her in 02, the undercarriage was spotless. this was all without a speck of undercoated.

if youre still that worried, pay the $100 and get it undercoated at the dealer (i assume youre buying new). then during the winter, keep it washed after the snow/salt has dissipated. either way, youre worrying too much. the car will be fine.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cool thanks echomirage. no im not buying new. ill be buying a low miles used one. i appreciate all the info and everything said. ive lived in the south (georgia and florida) my whole life so this is all new to me. snow and salt. i used to take care of my car (camaro) when i had it in FL and i just remember lots of people making comments about living up north and the snow. so ive been curious.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

snow is never that bad here, not counting the occasional blizzard. every year is different. this past winter, 08/09, i used my snowblower maybe 4-5 times all winter, each time it could have been shoveled instead (but then why own a blower). year before that, i used it maybe twice. whatever saly is used is washed off within a week or two. rain, street sweepers, etc.