Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Simple question for contracters/landscapers

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Simple question for contracters/landscapers

So I'm directing a gutter downspout on my house to some schedule 40 4" pvc pipe under ground. I've dug the trench 24-20" deep. So the pipe will have roughly 18-20" of cover. My question is, I'll be pouring an asphalt drive way over this come spring time. Is this deep enough to handle the load of passing/parked cars? The pavers will take a few inches off the top when they lay the base down too.

Think I'll be good?

Thanks
Old 11-05-2009, 12:07 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be fine I think. Not like you're driving a 6k+ # truck over it.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:46 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Make sure that whoever does the driveway knows it's there... they'd be able to tell you best.

You "should" be fine, but the pavement thickness will really determine what is safe.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

2 foot should be plenty deep enough....after all, its about psi not over all weight on stuff like that and 4" pvc is pretty stout....
Old 11-05-2009, 06:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK thanks. I just wanna do it right the first time.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:02 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Make SURE they put a good thick gravel base down, and make sure it sits for a good 3 months before they pave. Trust me this will help alot to keep the driveway from shifting etc.

Make sure you drive on it and park where you're going to park too, this will help compact it so you don't end up with alot of divots. I had my driveway redone a couple years ago, but with the weight of the new truck.. it's caused a couple sink spots from the summer heat and the weight of the nose. If you can, have the asphalt layed an inch and a half or 2 inches thick (after rolling), they did mine an inch thick I think and that's probably part of the problem. But, I also had a guy do it for 1/2 what the other quotes were, probably a good part of why.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At my old house, my mother had built a 3 bay garage. In building that, it was set back and the guys doing the foundation also dug out the yard and put down enough process to handle a driveway, be it gravel or paved.

Well I must say, they dug down over 3 feet. (36") The driveway for the most part is pretty solid and it was gavel for that time, recently they had some more stone put down as asphalt is too expensive at the moment.

IMO they are going to rip that out. Just have then dig a trench lower enough to compensate. Not a big issue but they would at least go as low as where the pipeis on the dig.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a good base is most important, then a finer spread that has been tamped down then asphalt it. depending on the amount of digging your doing around the area to be paved would play a bit of a part in how much you need to tamp it down and how much you need to fill since its more likely to settle unevenly. id go 2 inches if you can afford it, but 1 1/2 will be enough.
as far as the schedule 40 pipe, i wouldnt put another thought about that, its not bending anytime soon.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02SCVette
You should be fine I think. Not like you're driving a 6k+ # truck over it.
ive driven over semi-exposed pipes during building stuff at easily 7k with no ill effects, i figure if the dump trucks can do it, i should be good lol