Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

little update as to what I've been up to the last few months

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010 | 09:39 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fireball
welding faster isn't the real problem...buying the ~10K in parts I need is gonna take some time
If you're saying 10k it's probably more like 15k

that's how things usually go with my car, right now is no exception.
Old 03-08-2010 | 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tektrans

I'm not changing that much...I know pretty much what I need to do everything...

but there are some things I want to add that may drive the price up a few K. Like beadlocks, rear lexan, etc...
Old 03-08-2010 | 12:10 PM
Teching In

Where are you going to install the swing set on that jungle gym?? Looks great! I am with tek tho, did you sawzall the floors out or plasma cut? When you go to put them back you are missing the 1/8th inch all the way around. That just gets filled with the spot welds?
Old 03-08-2010 | 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I sawzalled as much as I could...when I got into a corner or tight area I used a cutoff wheel. there is an area that has a pretty big gap now in one corner...I'm going to replace that small section with sheetmetal...
Old 03-08-2010 | 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

u r gonna need to wear a full face helmet if u ever take it on a street cruise lol all those bars make for bad head injurys!!
Old 03-08-2010 | 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tektrans

I think that goes with any car even 4drs
Old 03-12-2010 | 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

started on my front end again

before I cut out alot of the metal, I want to reinforce it with a set of shock tower support bars. Bar attaches to the rollcage, to the frame and goes thru the shock towers. I've got the driverside one in.

Before welding:

Welded in
Old 03-12-2010 | 04:57 PM
9 Second Club

This will be wild when it gets done...
Old 03-12-2010 | 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

If I had your time and money I'd be able to make Bruce cry.

Lookin good Brian I might need to rescue Mike from his boredom and take ride down there to see this in person
Old 04-06-2010 | 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

worthy of another update

Another piece of the puzzle showed up today....only took 20 wks

Joe Van Overbeek carbon fiber pro-stock wing

Old 04-06-2010 | 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

pro stock wing
Old 04-06-2010 | 07:54 PM
9 Second Club

See that goes and watches the first race of the season and all the sudden the parts start flying on the car. LMAO!!!!
Old 04-07-2010 | 06:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mikep2002
See that goes and watches the first race of the season and all the sudden the parts start flying on the car. LMAO!!!!
You know it....watching all them cars got me in the mood to get some stuff done

Unfortunately, now I got to spend a pretty big chunk of moola to get the hardware to attach this fancy wing and parachutes
Old 04-07-2010 | 06:37 AM
Race your car!

That is a nice piece, should for sure keep a car stable at speed. Wish I had to worry about that

Did you go to cecil last weekend? If so I wish I knew you were gonna be there.. I was there with Chef!
Old 04-07-2010 | 06:50 AM
11 Second Club

Great job Fireball you got skillz man.
Looking forward to seeing the bird back in action again.
Old 04-07-2010 | 06:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
That is a nice piece, should for sure keep a car stable at speed. Wish I had to worry about that

Did you go to cecil last weekend? If so I wish I knew you were gonna be there.. I was there with Chef!
I was there during qualifying...let me know if you go again...I live 6 miles from the track
Old 04-07-2010 | 07:21 AM
Race your car!

Will do, fair chance I'll be down again this year. I'm gone for the 2nd 1/2 of this month on a business trip, but when I get home if the guys are going I'll probably be there.

Hopefully someday with my own sled. Maybe, if I ever finish the damn thing... rate it's going you'll have yours together and back apart again before I get mine together again
Old 04-07-2010 | 07:57 AM
Internet Mechanic

Will do, fair chance I'll be down again this year. I'm gone for the 2nd 1/2 of this month on a business trip, but when I get home if the guys are going I'll probably be there.

Hopefully someday with my own sled. Maybe, if I ever finish the damn thing... rate it's going you'll have yours together and back apart again before I get mine together again
More progress was made Last Tuesday then most people's stuff in an entire year.
Old 04-07-2010 | 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

what car did you guys have? That black camaro?

trust me...I have a TON more to do...it takes alot of time when its just me only working maybe 10-12 hours a week on it in my garage

I'm just hoping to get the major chassiswork done soon so I can go for cage certification in late May. I'd like to have the car in paint by the end of summer and spend the fall and winter doing electrical/plumbing and general final assembly

Last edited by Fireball; 04-07-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-07-2010 | 08:50 AM
Race your car!

Yup, black camaro and the SOM car that signed up for 8.50 index.. in hindsight he should have entered the 10.0 class, car went 10.08 and 10.1, he's just getting his car together and wanted to go with us so that way we could all get a look at the car, see what it's doing, etc.

His setup is very similar to mine, just with an afr head and an iron block instead of the ls2 block.

Right now, I'm gonna say I'll have my car completely gutted and ready to go to the chassis guy end of the summer, hopefully by january it will be in with the guy to get painted. I'm doing everything on the chassis other then the cert update right now, so once I get the new setup running I'll know what i need. Obviously if the first full pass it goes 170 mph or something stupid like that it will be 25.3, if it's only looking like a bottmo 8 second setup, then it's gonna be 25.5

The mid plate, i/c mounting, charge pipe to the i/c will be done, nose will be cut off and redone in tubular, minitub, parachute, trunk floor will be cut out and flat panned, hood and speedglass all done, cowl cut off. Rear shocks are getting relocated on the rear, rear's either getting narrowed or I'm doing a whole new one, promod rear swaybar, gonna plate all the lca mounts on the body over to add some strength there, redo the frame connectors so they can be used for the 25.x later, minitub too so I can pull the tires in when the rear narrowed up. Going to hav to buy the chute, fuel cell, i/c either have my guy build it or buy one, and get the new sanders engineering wheels (fronts and the double beadlock rears) before I get the car in, so at this point it will be end of the summer

Th400 is sold, once that's gone I'm gonna call transmission specialties and buy the TS5000 level glide from them, that's supposed to be good for 2000 hp, if I find after the first season when I take it apart to freshen/inspect it there's signs of something being inadequate I'll upgrade it then, but I think that will be adequate. Price isn't bad either. I'll have the gear drive and blower before the end of the summer too, so the fab guy has that for mockup. I'm gonna do 2 plate covers, one with no hole for the shootout class, other will have a big velocity stack built into it that will go right to the s/c inlet, should work out good. Not sure what it will be worth, but we'll see, I'm gonna try to put the velocity cone on the blower with the stock lic plate cover for the shootout class, see how that will fit, just hope it won't be in the bumper cover too bad, if it is, I'll leave it off for the shootout.

I'm leaving the vfn dash to go in when the chassis update gets done, then that will go in.

Believe me, I am a LONG way away. Once the car's done I have to buy the BS3, or XFI if I go that route, probably go BS3 though. Get one with the dataloggign built in and the hookup for one egt probe to log that, and once it's up and running I'll figure out what hole is running the hottest, and put the probe in that cyl... at least I can have a way to keep track of stuff. PUt a big red light in the dash that will come on at a certain temp, so I know if it's too hot to shut it down. Still need to buy the fuel system, and the motor.

So yea, like 50 grand, maybe more.