Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Got myself a 2001 R1!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Got myself a 2001 R1!

I've been looking for a Sport bike for months and finally had some luck. I Went through probably 4 different bikes that were almost purchased but fell through. I found this 2001 Yamaha R1 in Blue with 7495 miles and went for it. The bike was owned by a guy who babied it so he managed to never drop it. It's just had the carbs cleaned and has amsoil in it. It has Carbon fiber/ stainless exhaust by Yoshimura. The bike rides awesome and was definitely worth the 3600 I paid It also included a brand new Dunlop tire, manual, original exhaust and old headlight bulbs.

pics below

Old 06-14-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful R1!

I own an 01 with 13k miles. Paid 3300. Just had the carbs synced and jetted bike put down 137rwhp. These bikes run great!

Wow man that bike looks brand new. 3600 is a great price i would have snagged that up when i was looking.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Wow she's a beaut!! Less than 1k/year too. Can't beat that
Old 06-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Banned

dang awesome bike and deal. I have been looking for a bike, i need to look where you looked HAHA.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks guys! I was on dcsportbikes.net it's a really good bike site for the dc metro area.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya i registered over there but haven't posted. What part of NoVA are you from? We should go for a ride sometime!

Here is my R1:

Taking it over to RNR Cycles in sterling to get the new michelin pilot power 2cts mounted up tomorrow!

Is this your first bike? I still can't get over how clean that bike is. Be careful out there!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's an awesome looking R1, I love the exhaust. Yeah it is my first bike lol but it's a-lot easier to ride than people said it would be. I'm out in Ashburn, you're in manassas right? I was the guy looking at the orange R6 a while ago but didn't end up getting it https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...yamaha-r6.html . I'm down for riding but it'll be a bit before I'm completely situated in the bike.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:33 AM
Teching In

I wish I could find a deal like that! I guess I just don't know where to look. Everything I find is either 1-2 years old, or beat to hell.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HumanNipple
That's an awesome looking R1, I love the exhaust. Yeah it is my first bike lol but it's a-lot easier to ride than people said it would be. I'm out in Ashburn, you're in manassas right? I was the guy looking at the orange R6 a while ago but didn't end up getting it https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...yamaha-r6.html . I'm down for riding but it'll be a bit before I'm completely situated in the bike.
Careful that is a lot of bike for a starter. But it's the same as any other bike if you just stay out of the throttle or use good throttle modulation. I only had a 600 for like 2 months before i wanted the liter bike. My whole deal is i end up dumping money into whatever car/bike i own so why waste money on a 600 that i know i will go to 1000 soon? Just be careful, more so of other drivers then anything else and don't forget to wear your GEAR! I'm in springfield and now i remember you back when you were looking at the orange r6. Shoot me a PM whenever you want to go for a ride or any questions that you may have.

Originally Posted by YeloFevr
I wish I could find a deal like that! I guess I just don't know where to look. Everything I find is either 1-2 years old, or beat to hell.
I didn't know you were looking Matt. They are out there just have to be patient. Which i wasn't. Also your craigslist up that way doesn't have much. If you look in D.C you will get 3+ pages a day of new bikes that come up for sale. I actually ended up driving close to 4 hours away for mine. The money i have into it now i should have just found something a little nicer around here, but i can't complain i really like this bike.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Beautiful. I'd love to pick a bike up soon, but I think with the launch of the shop I'm probably going to have to wait another year. Plan to start out with a 600 something though. I've ridden a couple times, but never owned a bike. Always admired! =)
Old 06-17-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevo92z28
Careful that is a lot of bike for a starter. But it's the same as any other bike if you just stay out of the throttle or use good throttle modulation. I only had a 600 for like 2 months before i wanted the liter bike. My whole deal is i end up dumping money into whatever car/bike i own so why waste money on a 600 that i know i will go to 1000 soon? Just be careful, more so of other drivers then anything else and don't forget to wear your GEAR! I'm in springfield and now i remember you back when you were looking at the orange r6. Shoot me a PM whenever you want to go for a ride or any questions that you may have.
Agreed, I've just been staying out of the throttle and using my gears more. I don't think i've past 6500k and even that feels faster than anything else i've riden car or bike. I'm sure the upper range is crazy but that will have to wait. You have the same mentality, I always try to get something that is a bit better than what I "settle on" so this bike follow that mentality. Gear is a must in this area, people are nuts in NVA.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andrewzpsu
Beautiful. I'd love to pick a bike up soon, but I think with the launch of the shop I'm probably going to have to wait another year. Plan to start out with a 600 something though. I've ridden a couple times, but never owned a bike. Always admired! =)
Congrats on the shop! Make sure you've got plenty of people to run the shop in case some minivan mows you over
Old 06-18-2010, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Humannipple: What is your username on .net? I'm on there as well. I have an 02 R6. It would be awesome to meet up with some fellow riders who also own f-bodies. I'm right in the Oakton/Tysons area.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Awsome find man!! That bike looks ridiculously clean! I've been looking at a few bikes lately as well.. How's the powerband in the 1000 compare to the 600?
Old 06-18-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2k2cam
Humannipple: What is your username on .net? I'm on there as well. I have an 02 R6. It would be awesome to meet up with some fellow riders who also own f-bodies. I'm right in the Oakton/Tysons area.
It's HumanNippy on .net I'm totally down to do some riding. Man how do you deal with the pot holes over there? oh and your SS is the same color as mine.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by collier341
Awsome find man!! That bike looks ridiculously clean! I've been looking at a few bikes lately as well.. How's the powerband in the 1000 compare to the 600?
I've never gotten the chance to ride a 600, but the power band on this bike picks up drastically in the high end. I haven't had any issues with lifting the front end but I haven't gotten on it heavily. This bike starts red lining at 11500 and tops out at just over 13000 I believe so there are tons of rpms to play with

Last edited by HumanNipple; 06-19-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HumanNipple
It's HumanNippy on .net I'm totally down to do some riding. Man how do you deal with the pot holes over there? oh and your SS is the same color as mine.

Pot holes are annoying. I pretty much ride the same route everyday so I know where the big ones are. I got run off the road this morning on my way into work by some guy in a white van, then he just smirked at me. Hate people in this area. I'm Blackbowite on .net. I'll keep an eye out for you on there. Let me know when you want to ride.

Cars are the same color and the bikes are too.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i took my bike to get inspected on one of my first rides and some bitch went right around me when I was clearly turning into the lane, i'm glad I turned my head. People around here just don't pay attention, i'm glad you're okay! Pewter Camaro's are great to keep clean and the blue is great for looks.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hear you guys. Never ride in someones blind spot, either speed up or slow down. I find it hard to just "cruise" on a highway/parkway.

Collin - you wouldn't happen to have been at RNR cycles today where you? I was talking to someone with an 02 R6...very similar to yours.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hear you guys. Never ride in someones blind spot, either speed up or slow down. I find it hard to just "cruise" on a highway/parkway.

Collin - you wouldn't happen to have been at RNR cycles today were you? I was talking to someone with an 02 R6...very similar to yours.