Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Off to Jamaica tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 07:06 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Off to Jamaica tomorrow!

I saw the other post "Tequila and Corona 3 days in a row now " and it got me in the mood to post. I'm going to be getting up at 2:00 AM tomorrow to begin my trip down to Jamaica. I'm going down there to get married; it'll be in the Ocho Rios Sandals resort.

They were really hurting for cash a little over a year back and they gave me a pretty good package. An entire villa house and not just a room, it has a pool inside and out, butler service, unlimited golfing, scuba diving and horseback riding. Unlimited alcohol (if anyone really knows me w00t w00t) at any restaurant and bar on the island, tips are included, the wedding ceremony, cake, champagne and reception are included, 2 free nights the next time we go and a ton of other little things. Originally it was supposed to be 11,500.00 but I couldn't ever afford that....they are charging me exactly 2,550.xx on the dot. It comes out to be around 125.00 per person per day. I couldn’t even do a local hotel 45 minutes from home and buy food; never mind the booze for that kind of cash.

So 2,550.00 takes care of the wedding and honeymoon, then it'll cost like 3,000.00 for a 6 hour open bar reception with salmon, steak and chicken at some really nice resort in Chicago (where her family is from) and the cost of the rings. Her family is doing the music and photos so that’s free. Kind of made of fairly well.

The only reason why I would of done a reception here is really for 4 family members and the car guys on this board; 2 of those family members are going down to the island with me. One of the fiancés friends from CVS is supposed to be throwing a free party for us when we get back; I didn't want to make anyone I know on this board make you feel like I didn't care if you were able to attend or not. The best part of the party up here is it will be really laid back....shorts, sandals and (ladies *cough cough*) shirts are optional.

My firearm licensing officer and a buddy from work want me to get them a pound of blue moon coffee; they say it's the best.

I hope in 9 months from now I don’t have to knock the wife down a flight of stairs ;-) we still haven’t had sex, I told the wife I think it’s gross but I have the funny feeling she’s going to expect some. Whenever I turn her down she just goes over Marcel’s house anyhow, who the hell knows what she’s up to.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:41 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! Our was a little more expensive but definitly worth it. Many compliments such as best wedding we have ever been too. We still need to get some Thank You cards out, uggghhh.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats.

I got married at Sandals Negril last year - also at Sandals. Best vacation / trip ever (might be saying otherwise next week, I leave for Maui on Friday)

Have a great time. I suggest the couples massage....it rocked! They upgraded our room for free too!

Here is the room we had:

We didn't have the Butler, how WOW was it impressive.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, Jamaica is awesome (my friend had his honey moon their).
I went to the DR, but for that kinda money thats a great deal. You guys will have an awesome time.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

dude, a buddy of mine is flying to Ochos Rios tomorrow, hes getting married as well. i couldnt pull the funds to go, since im getting married in August.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
They were really hurting for cash a little over a year back and they gave me a pretty good package. An entire villa house and not just a room, it has a pool inside and out, butler service, unlimited golfing, scuba diving and horseback riding. Unlimited alcohol (if anyone really knows me w00t w00t) at any restaurant and bar on the island, tips are included, the wedding ceremony, cake, champagne and reception are included, 2 free nights the next time we go and a ton of other little things. Originally it was supposed to be 11,500.00 but I couldn't ever afford that....they are charging me exactly 2,550.xx on the dot. It comes out to be around 125.00 per person per day. I couldn’t even do a local hotel 45 minutes from home and buy food; never mind the booze for that kind of cash.
Curious as to how you negotiated for the better price.....any info would help. Did they call you back about coming down? When I booked my wedding, we paid the asking price....didn't know you could talk them down.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

Sounds like a really nice place. Have a great time. Best of luck.

dave
Old 06-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Humanitarian

My fiancé just seems to come across deals like that but in this case she didn’t do anything.

They kept trying to get her to spend more money; in my eyes if we booked a shorter trip they would have made more money off of us which leads me to believe they were on some sort of customer satisfaction kick. The only thing I’m thinking is maybe they realized they were way way way under booked and figured if they stretched the vacation of a few people it would look good on the occupancy books and those people would spread the word (like I am now, damn them!!!) and that was their motive.

Sandals just kept telling my fiancé if she booked another day, added xxxxx to the package or upgraded the room they would toss more stuff in. At a point every time my fiancé called she had good news, one opportunity kind of lead itself right into another.

I thought it was really odd and I don’t expect it to happen again. I am sure they are still somewhat in that mode. Talk to them and tell them you’d like to book another day if there is a room upgrade or tell them you want to upgrade the room if there is another day included. Find out about the cost of the room vs day vs ceremony and offer to pay to extend/upgrade something if they toss in the reception. That’s what they did but they asked us.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
My fiancé just seems to come across deals like that but in this case she didn’t do anything.

They kept trying to get her to spend more money; in my eyes if we booked a shorter trip they would have made more money off of us which leads me to believe they were on some sort of customer satisfaction kick. The only thing I’m thinking is maybe they realized they were way way way under booked and figured if they stretched the vacation of a few people it would look good on the occupancy books and those people would spread the word (like I am now, damn them!!!) and that was their motive.

Sandals just kept telling my fiancé if she booked another day, added xxxxx to the package or upgraded the room they would toss more stuff in. At a point every time my fiancé called she had good news, one opportunity kind of lead itself right into another.

I thought it was really odd and I don’t expect it to happen again. I am sure they are still somewhat in that mode. Talk to them and tell them you’d like to book another day if there is a room upgrade or tell them you want to upgrade the room if there is another day included. Find out about the cost of the room vs day vs ceremony and offer to pay to extend/upgrade something if they toss in the reception. That’s what they did but they asked us.

When we went, we went through a local sandals travel agent, and the price she gave us was the exact price of the best deal we could find online.

Did your fiance go through a travel agent, or jus ta specific person over the phone that was a sandals employee?

I ask b/c I might go back if I can get a good deal.

You'll have a fantastic time. Two words: Swim-up Bar. I lived there for about 4 days straight. IF, and I mean IF, I had to complain about anything, it's that their alcoholic drinks I think are watered down b/c I could have 10 and only have a mild buzz. Thus, you'll need 20.

Also, try the Jamacian Rum CREME, it's so good.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Humanitarian

My brother was going to try the swim up bar....I could easily see myself drowning because I cant make it back to dry land because I drank too much.

My fiance went straight to Sandals. I know we get 2 free days we can use next time but I'll beleive that when I see it....along with the butler, free booze, free food and no tipping policy.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:56 PM
9 Second Club

Hey man, Congrats!!!!! I've been to Sandals a few times, very nice.
While you're there order yourself a coconut rum on the rocks. Don't mix it with juice or anything, just on the rocks. That's my favorite drink over there, have one for me!
Old 06-22-2010, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

Arent they having riots there now threatening the govt? I would be concerned about safety, if thats still an issue.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Humanitarian

That stuff is like a hour and a half away, non issue. It is all contained within the city.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Enjoy your time Big Deez!! Congrats on the wedding!! I wish we could have made it! But we'll just celebrate when you get back!
Old 06-22-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Congrats Joe! Have a drink for me!
Old 06-22-2010, 07:27 PM
8 Second Club

I was at the sandels White House in jamacia for new years.... alot to do the locals are shady from the moment u get off the plane
Old 06-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Humanitarian

SSPerformance - I dont even trust my soon to be wife, I know those peeps down there are shady, I hear it from everyone who has been down there and now you even said it. Too bad I cant carry concealed down there! :-) I read the US travel advisory....stay away from any major city and dont even think of going near them during night, females need to stay with a friend when they go out. There are cases of rape on the resort grounds, even rapes within the rooms of the resort. Sandals brags about their safety so it makes me feel a little better but I'm not going to relax in a stupid way and the wife isnt going anywhere alone unless she's with her friends, family or me. She's too care free and too nice in general, she'll talk to someone and hang out with them before they rob her and shoot her in the face then you've got me who thinks a palm tree is going to steal my wallet.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

nice man. I was in Montigo Bay a year ago and stayed at Sandals....I absolutely loved it. enjoy man
Old 06-24-2010, 07:42 AM
11 Second Club

oh and bring pepto
Old 06-24-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
oh and bring pepto
x100

I good food poisioning and threw up and crapped about 30 times each when I was in Negril. Luckly, it didn't strike till the last 2 days I was there, out of 8 or 9 nights. Still, even with that, it was my best vacation ever. Maui countdown is less than 24 hours now - can't wait!