Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

CSP's NSSP Cam puts down 459 rwhp with untouched LS2 Heads!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 04:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default CSP's NSSP Cam puts down 459 rwhp with untouched LS2 Heads!

Complete Street Performance has been proud to offer this cam for a little over a year now and it has consistently put down great numbers while retaining near stock to stock drivability.

Mike's 2006 GTO M6
-Vararam Intake
-CSP Ported TB
-FAST 102 mm (unported)
-SLP UDP
-Pacsetter Headers
-Borla Exhaust
-Monster Stage 3 Clutch
-And ofcourse the NSSP Cam

459/424

I've been working with Mike and his car from the beginning.

Bolt ons:
With Pacesetter headers and our ported LS2 intake and throttle body he put down 387 rwhp which was right around what everyone else seems to be doing with the same modifications.

Cam and street tune:
Mike installed the NSSP camshaft, the SLP UDP, and an unported FAST 102 after a lot of grumbling of which cam to actually go with, and was hoping to see 410 rwhp.

The car did 447 rwhp at Race Proven Motorsport's dyno off of a street tune I had set up three times in a row. Needless to say he was happy with those numbers! RPM's tuner informed me that the car was pulling up to 4* of timing, which we saw on the street afterwards too. Changed the gas out to Sunoco and the timing retard was gone, but we didn't get a chance to put her back on their dyno.

Dyno Retune:
Skip 2 months later in 50% humidity and high 80s temperature... The owner, Mike, brought his car over to the shop on Saturday to tighten things up on the dyno. On the street tune, he put down 449 rwhp. We tightened the AFR up a little bit more and he put down 451 rwhp. And then we decided to add some timing, upping it from 25* peak to 28-29*. It made 459 rwhp then! We took her out on the street afterwards to verify that it could handle it there, and sure enough it did perfectly.

The NSSP cam is a 230/232 114. It is NOT ground by comp, but the cores are the same cores. It is ground by a local shop to me that has been in the business for over 42 years.

I must tell you, I personally believe it is one of the best cams you can buy, especially dollar for dollar.

Other Cars:

Pete's 2006 GTO M6 made 428 rwhp with the stock unported TB, Intake Manifold, and Crank Pulley. Otherwise we'd expect him to see similar numbers. His car drives like stock.

In my LS3 vette I run a similar cam in my vette with 2* more duration on the exhaust, but the same intake lobe. It put down 501 rwhp. I've put roughly 40,000 miles on my car since I cammed it and it still is holding up very nicely... and it is a daily driver. 2008 Corvette with 68000+ miles haha.

$325 plus shipping!

And $700 plus shipping with springs and pushrods.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big note I dont know much about tuning Nice numbers... To be honest with ya if it were my car and knowing what some not so good gas could do. When I look at the timing being at 25* being 451 and at 28/29* and being at 459. No pun intened rather give up the 8rwhp to have the safer timing at 25* who knows when he might not have that sunoco gas around. Good job, as long as he knows all the risks and rewards of 8rwhp....
Old 07-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Teching In

4* is some serious kr. I cringe at .5*
Old 07-12-2010, 10:09 PM
FormerVendor

Yeah, seeing that much timing pulled was a wtf moment as every tune I do I redo the IAT table so the timing still has a buffer. He actually has a dash hawk so he closely monitors it and after that refill he didn't have any knock retard.

And though it has only been a couple days, he hasn't reported getting any knock retard since bumping the timing up.

kbturbo, Pine Grove huh? I'm originally from Shamokin... although I didn't go to Shamokin lol

Andrew
Old 07-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Launching!

I think kbturbo is someone we know...drives a white 03 cobra and has a thing for decimating drag radials LOL
Old 07-14-2010, 02:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice numbers Andrew! Car should flirt with 500rwhp with some real heads on it.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Excellent numbers on this set-up!!! I have an '06 BOM SAP GTO that I just might have to get some goodies on!

Also, do you guys have any experience with Turbo Builds? I am building an LY6 '69 442 that is going to be single divided 74mm with a ZR1 cam. I would like someone who has experience to have at it. Thanks!
Old 07-15-2010, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Good numbers man! Do you happen to know what gas the guy ran in his car before putting Sunoco in? Just curious for future reference.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:57 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Graph looks good, but 29 degree's of timing in a GTO seems alittle high...
JMHO

I know RossiLS2 GTO made 455RW on 23 degree's and a similar setup
It also held the GTO 6sp cam-only record for a yr..

U got a good cam there, Seems to make some steam...
Old 07-20-2010, 04:56 AM
On The Tree

Thumbs up koolllllllllllllllll

good job, mr '''super tuner'' ther,s onley one tune for me........

an thats '''race ready'' , andrew u the man, with thos super ''prices''
an thers pleady of sun, fuel a round........ be cuming soon , warrior,
for that retune,n20, soon.... give me that old race tune anytime,bro.
buk buk buk... ............. u the great is .. around.....
not no more..... u the man,
Old 07-20-2010, 01:27 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JS
Graph looks good, but 29 degree's of timing in a GTO seems alittle high...
JMHO

I know RossiLS2 GTO made 455RW on 23 degree's and a similar setup
It also held the GTO 6sp cam-only record for a yr..

U got a good cam there, Seems to make some steam...

Just for a comparison, I've definitely seen the same kooks headers, one coated, and another one not, make the same power but with different timing. The coated headers tend to want less timing (as the engine seems to be more efficient).

The way I look at it, Mike's engine isn't terribly efficient with his pacesetter headers but still puts down some great numbers haha.

As far as the gas, it was probably wawa or something goofy like that. I drive out of my way to make sure I'm always putting in either Sunoco or Exxon.... Or E85 =P
Old 07-20-2010, 10:37 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Gotch pal, your doing good things at your shop
Keep up the good work