Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

PA title stuff

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PA title stuff

Does anyone know if I need to have the title notarized when selling my car? I am selling it to someone out of state, so I had planned on just signing the title off and giving it to him. Can I do this, or do I really need to go to a notary?
Old 07-25-2010, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevethepirate
Does anyone know if I need to have the title notarized when selling my car? I am selling it to someone out of state, so I had planned on just signing the title off and giving it to him. Can I do this, or do I really need to go to a notary?
I would call a local tags place and see what is recommended to cover YOUR ***. I see you are local to me look up gibsons or eddys fast tags and find out what they say. Better safe then sorry.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the advice. Someone on another site (who buys/sells a lot of cars) told me that you only have to sign the title when selling it to someone out of state. I'm still going to check with one of those places though.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I sold mine the title did have to be notorized. The only suggestion's I'd make would be to one don't give them the title until you have the money in hand or the check having cleared. Second do not let them take the car without them getting their own insurance first, that way you're cleared of any responsibility if they wreck the car on their drive home or even afterwards.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the advice. Already have the cash, and the car isn't running ("reduced engine power"), so its getting towed.

Did you sell yours to someone in PA?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

When selling a Pa titled car everything has to be done in front of a notary. Buyer and seller both need a photo id and buyer needs proof of insurance.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the advice. Someone on another site (who buys/sells a lot of cars) told me that you only have to sign the title when selling it to someone out of state. I'm still going to check with one of those places though.
this is correct. instate deals are a PITA. all you gotta do is sign inthe correct spot and your done. Id make a bill of sale. and a copy of each drivers license as insurance. but thats all you need
Old 07-27-2010, 05:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice. Already have the cash, and the car isn't running ("reduced engine power"), so its getting towed.

Did you sell yours to someone in PA?
Sold mine to someone in MD.