Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

My build thread, sort of...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My build thread, sort of...

I’ve been debating over whether or not to post a build thread. Mostly because I have taken so long to finish and I didn’t want to leave everyone hanging. Here’s the background on what brought me and the car to this point:
A couple of years ago (almost exactly) I ended up punting the car into a curb and broke the rear end. At that time it had TFS 215 heads and a TR230 cam in it that made 460hp through a set of 4.10 gears and the stock rear. It was loads of fun to drive and had incredible mid range oomph.
Attached Thumbnails My build thread, sort of...-car1.jpg   My build thread, sort of...-old-engine.jpg  
Old 09-30-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

I got to talking with the guys at Va Speed and we decided to try and push the limits of a street driven N/A 403ci LS motor while being a little different in the process (I hate doing things just because everyone else is doing it). Sean at Va Speed did all of the parts selection and motor work and Ed did the engine dyno tune. The dyno thread is here https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...d-700-1hp.html that shows they were able to get 700fwhp out of it.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

In the meantime I had nearly completely disassembled the car, only the dash remained intact. The body was then sent off to Robinson Tech in Chesapeake for paint. When it returned, a new UMI road race k-member and tubular front suspension was installed along with the old koni shocks that I had been using before. In between the motor being finished and the suspension going in the car I bought a house (my first) and was able to have the car towed to my garage so I could work on it while waiting for the motor.
Attached Thumbnails My build thread, sort of...-firehawk1.jpg   My build thread, sort of...-firehawk3.jpg   My build thread, sort of...-interior.jpg  
Old 09-30-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

I went through the entire engine bay harness and re-routed some of the wiring to clean things up a little and also deleted the wiring for some of the components I was deleting (abs, tcs, etc). I also laid down some dynamat in the car while most of the interior was out.
With the engine complete, I attached the spec flywheel and dual disc clutch along with my T56 trans which had been rebuilt by T56 Rebuilds (SixSpeedInc) a few years back. The assembled unit then onto the k-member and into the car (big thanks to my brother Scott for the help in lining things up). Along with the motor and trans, I installed a Moser 9 inch with TruTrac and 3.89 gears (also set up by Sean at Va Speed). I also put a UMI tunnel mount adj torque arm and Watts Link on the rear. After that, it was just a matter of bolting up all of the components that I had removed before (brakes, rear suspension, interior, etc). Easier said than done as I’m sure anyone knows who has tackled a project like this over an extended period of time. Lots of time wasted looking for bolts, nuts, and screws that had mysteriously disappeared into the black hole that is my garage, not to mention seemingly endless trips to the hardware / parts store for misc items.
Attached Thumbnails My build thread, sort of...-moser-9.jpg   My build thread, sort of...-motor.jpg   My build thread, sort of...-spec-clutch.jpg   My build thread, sort of...-harness.jpg  
Old 09-30-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

Almost everything is back together now. I need to put the rear sway bar in and then drop it off at Va Speed for the exhaust, SFCs, and dyno tune. Hopefully in the next week or so I’ll have the time to tow it in to the shop for the remaining work. I’ll be sure to post the results in this thread and in the dyno section for everyone’s enjoyment.
Attached Thumbnails My build thread, sort of...-dsc00309a.jpg   My build thread, sort of...-dsc00325a.jpg   My build thread, sort of...-intake3.jpg   My build thread, sort of...-intake1.jpg  
Old 09-30-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

And here's a quick vid of me taking it for it's first run around the block.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u30GX3yaw9Q
Hopefully this weather will clear up and I can get a better vid this weekend after I wash it.

Last edited by bshell; 09-30-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bring it out to Hardee's off of Jefferson this saturday I would love to see your ride.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

I'd like to take it out, but it's not exactly road legal yet. No real exhaust and expired reg and safety would get me stopped pretty quick, haha. I will bring it out as soon as I get everything finished up though.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Launching!

You have a CNC mill in you're garage! Badass. And awesome ride, I want a ITB setup soo bad.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

Haha, thanks but the cnc machine belongs to Va Speed. They were nice enough to let me use the shop to store and work on the car until I bought the house. The ITB setup is made by Harrop and is definitely a trick piece.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds real good Brian. We'll talk next week about when we can get it in. ASAP for sure.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Teching In

That intake and the power it adds is really impressive.

Can anyone tell me if Power to weight ratio is determined at the flywheel or the rear wheels?

Please post many more Videos!!

Thanks,

Ty

Quick Reply: My build thread, sort of...