Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 11:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default what would you do?

OK so a lot of you know that about a year and a half ago my car got into a little accident coming off the trailer. I had the car fixed and ended up getting the whole car painted. Well everything but 1 mirror and the side skirts. When I got the car back it was noticablly darker. Much darker and looked more purple than NBM. I questioned them about the paint being darker at the time and I got feed a line of BS about why it was darker. I was not happy about the car being a darker color and having a purple hue to it

Fast forward to this spring I noticed some paint cracking and flaking on both my front and rear bumper. I took the car back to the body shop and they said they would stand behind it and asked if I would remove the bumpers and bring them back in and they would fix them. Well about a week later is when I blew up my D1. So I removed the bumpers, and side skirts(I wanted to get them painted to match also). I told them I was in no big hurry since the car was down so just fit me in where ever. So almost 3 months later I get my bumpers back. And they are the color of the car before the repaint last year. WAY OFF. Now I paid to have the side skirts painted so they would match the rest of the car.

So I went back to the body shop today to tell them about this. The guy at the body shop tells me that the paint had 2 variants and they must have used the wrong one. And says bring the bumpers and side skirts back in and he will re spray them to match the rest of the car.

Am I wrong to be pissed and not happy with the outcome? I asked them about the color last year and basicly I was told that is how they color was gonna be. But now I am mad because I would much rather the car be the color that he just sprayed my bumpers.

So what would you do

Attached Thumbnails what would you do?-photo.jpg  
Old 10-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ehh yea I’d be pretty disappointed. If they have the color issue down why can’t they bring the entire car back to its original color?

You have a point. You accepted the paint job the first time because you understood that the car may never come out as it did from the factory but now it’s not a matter of realizing the paint shade is off; now you are discovering a mistake was initially made and they have the means to bring the car back to it’s original color as you expected from the start. Technically speaking you were misled or they were confused (maybe both) but you paid to have the car re-painted to the factory color.

You’re in for a long battle and one you may not even win by taking them to court. Your call.

I’d consider them a lost cause, get the car fixed to the color you don’t want and if you plan to have it long enough; just end up waiting for the next paint job. Who knows if they’ll bring it back to the original blue but mess up with too much clear, over spray, sanding marks etc. I’d be worried about it getting worse and you now have a customer color (unless it really bugs you).
Old 10-06-2010, 12:42 PM
10 Second Club

The problem is I am unhappy with the color of the car. Every time I see a NBM car that is like the original color I wish mine looked like that still.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

darker looks better!! lol
Old 10-06-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is definitely a few 10 shades off
Old 10-06-2010, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

What I don't get is, when they repainted it the first time.....THEY didn't notice that they screwed up and painted it the wrong color???? They should have realized it right then and there and repainted the whole thing the correct color. Is this place supposed to be reputable?? Did you pay top dollar for the paint job? If so, they are supposed to be professionals and should not even try to pawn of this kind of shoddy paint work on anyone.

At this point, you are absolutely facing an uphill battle, just because of the time that has elapsed....

Last edited by Detroit_Muscle; 10-06-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:36 PM
10 Second Club

Well they put the car on the frame machine and pulled the rear back straight and did the body work to the rear quarters and repaired the hatch. I supplied all the other parts and I also deleivered them a car that already had all the molding and facias removed. I also put the car back together. installed facias and things of that sort. They basicly pulled the frame, fixed the quarters and hatch and painted the car to the tune of $6k. They came recomended by a friend that said they will do top notch paint work.

I noticed and asked them when I got the car back about the paint being darker and having the purple hue. And that is when I got the BS story about factory paints being thin and stuff and since this was a nicer paint job. blah blah blah. I think they were just trying to brush me off about the color. They fixed some other small blemishes in the paint after I got it back. But this just really gets me that wasn't painted the color it should have been.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:56 PM
9 Second Club

that color is oen of more difficult colors to match. i have only one person i trust to match NBM. they could have painted it and looked good in booth. didn't notice the difference till car was outside after paint.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think you're kinda stuck with it...
Old 10-06-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow that really is not even close. i would be so pissed i wouldnt even want to have him touch it again. but you really are in a jam. have you at least run the idea of him respraying the car for you? if it were my body shop i would certainly eat it...that really isnt even close. maybe even if you try and split it or you just pay for supplies or something. its not like it is something you can hide its the whole damn car and you yourself have to be happy with it...tell him how unhappy you are for sure. good luck with it
Old 10-06-2010, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

I am tempted to ask him to work with me on painting the rest of the car again so it is back to the original color. That is what I wanted in the first place. And why I asked him about it last year when he painted the whole car but he just brushed me off then. with his BS story about the paint. Now seeing that he just painted stuff for it again and that is now what the orignal color was it really makes me feel like I got hosed last year.

I think at this point I will ask him to either work with me on repainting the whole car or get him to give me the money back I just paid him to paint the rockers and take it somewhere else
Old 10-06-2010, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he should have gotten the variants from your vin # that would have been much easier for him to match the paint
Old 10-06-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Wow, that sucks, that was very unprofessional on their part. They clearly screwed up and I think they should fix it, but unfortunately it will probably take going to court to do that.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That does suck man, if your going to paint the entire car again i would bring it to another body shop that will do the job right the first time. Good luck
Old 10-06-2010, 04:36 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

At this point you would be best to get your parts to match what you already have and be done with them. Pushing it any further will most likely make things worse...
Old 10-06-2010, 06:28 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow that does suck. the paint shop def. should have picked up on that before you got the car back. i used to work in a body shop and there can be a ton of variants for one paint code so i can see how they got mixed up but they really should have done a spray out of the color first to make sure it was right before the car was painted. hope you get it figured out man
Old 10-07-2010, 07:27 AM
11 Second Club

It looks like they painted it with Midnight Blue metallic. My Envoy is that color and in the sun it looks like it has a flat purple sheen. I wouldn't be happy. They made a mistake. If it was me, since they seem willing to work with you to a degree. Bring the whole car and drop it off. Once they see how off it is it speaks for itself.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:46 AM
10 Second Club

I guess one of the biggest things is that if they would have painted the car the right color last year I wouldn't have just paid them to paint the side skirts so they would match the car. (which they don't right now because they painted that stuff the original color)
Old 10-07-2010, 08:26 AM
11 Second Club

they brushed you off when they first painted the car cause they didnt want to have to repaint the entire car again at their expense. now they are admitting that they screwed up so i would bring up that fact that they basically painted the car the wrong color and are just now admitting to it.

i noticed that awile back when you first got it done but just thought it was what it was. its looked good but i can understand you wanting the original color.

IMO is only right that they make things right but from a business stand point be prepared to run into some road blocks in trying to get things done. goodluck man.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:40 PM
10 Second Club

Well I went back over to the body shop today to talk to them about it again. They said it was there fault and they painted it the wrong color. They said they will make it right and repaint the car.