Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

*****ocean city cruise****2011******

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.JZ
CobraR: You are talking about SSO cars running 7s, I was talking about a full-weight street car with AC, heat, stereo, etc... race weight was over 3650.

Taking two exact cars built 100% the same way minus the trans setup: the manual car will run the higher mph, but the auto will run the faster ET....usually.... Unless you are Justin Burcham

I put an auto in my Cobra because the so-called "indestructible" Viper-spec 6 speed I was running blew on a run down the Mexican Mile....I wanted to bracket race the car and make it single-turbo for NMRA, but I lost my job....so, had to cancel the plans.

Nevertheless, the 4r70w swap in my car was one of the first Cobras to run this setup. I did not know what to expect, as I had little experience with automatic transmissions. My buddy, Jesse Houseman, is one of the BEST Ford techs around and completed the swap with little to go off of at the time. Running two back-to-back ten second passes in that heat and humidity made us happy; while the mph was not crazy-fast, the car was consistent and made me smile...so, I dont see what the issue is?
And how much did the rwhp drop using the same dyno and tuner? Plus I think the motor was broken in by then and might have even had synthetic oil in it?? Oops sorry, I said I was back to bustin AJs ***** and was done with this topic, my bad.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Guess the auto goes when he decides to really go quick..... whatcha think Bob ???
Old 03-24-2011, 03:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChefBRD
The research I am referring to is a manual trans car not being able to build boost off the line. You said the automatic had this advantage. You sticking to that story or did you just become smarter over the last 3 hours? Autos are more consistent, easier to go quick which makes them nice for drag racing. But you take 2 identical cars with the same crankshaft HP, put a 5 speed or 6 speed in one and your auto of choice in the other(couldn't care less whether its a TH350 or 400 or whatever) and a good driver in the manual trans car that can shift his *** off(never said this wasn't part of the equation), the manual trans has the potential to be quicker and definitely trap significantly higher. I am done with this discussion now, time to get back to the fun stuff.

Had a 93 GT mustang with a turbo first a 5spd then a c4, c4 was faster. Sorry, no research needed, been there done that. 12.1@117 2.1 60' vs 11.8@124. 2.3 60'. 11psi, same setup, just changed trans. That was with a slightly better than stock stall, no RPM off the line, no boost off the line, car would just push the tires. You are right, you should stick to the fun stuff and leave the real world to people that have actually done something other than read about it doing research.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Teching In

ooooooooooooohhhh fighting words, Uncle Bob...

Go back to your fantasy land job as a successful engineer and leave the big boys alone!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:06 PM
10 Second Club

CobraR: You are talking about SSO cars running 7s, I was talking about a full-weight street car with AC, heat, stereo, etc... race weight was over 3650.

Taking two exact cars built 100% the same way minus the trans setup: the manual car will run the higher mph, but the auto will run the faster ET....usually.... Unless you are Justin Burcham

I put an auto in my Cobra because the so-called "indestructible" Viper-spec 6 speed I was running blew on a run down the Mexican Mile....I wanted to bracket race the car and make it single-turbo for NMRA, but I lost my job....so, had to cancel the plans.

Nevertheless, the 4r70w swap in my car was one of the first Cobras to run this setup. I did not know what to expect, as I had little experience with automatic transmissions. My buddy, Jesse Houseman, is one of the BEST Ford techs around and completed the swap with little to go off of at the time. Running two back-to-back ten second passes in that heat and humidity made us happy; while the mph was not crazy-fast, the car was consistent and made me smile...so, I dont see what the issue is?

No issue, was just having fun with the statement that an automatic went into a boosted car and slowed down. It was 2 on one vs AJ, so I had to jump in.

Thats why I put at the bottom not to take anything I say seriously. I have had my fair share of boosted, nitrous and NA cars. 5/6spds and autos.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:07 PM
10 Second Club

ooooooooooooohhhh fighting words, Uncle Bob...

Go back to your fantasy land job as a successful engineer and leave the big boys alone!
OOOOhhhhh now that makes it all clear. I spend all day fixing what engineers thought looked like a good idea on paper. Cant wait to meet this guy now!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cobra R
OOOOhhhhh now that makes it all clear. I spend all day fixing what engineers thought looked like a good idea on paper. Cant wait to meet this guy now!

Ohh so you want it to manufacturable too? haha
Old 03-24-2011, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Had a 93 GT mustang with a turbo first a 5spd then a c4, c4 was faster. Sorry, no research needed, been there done that. 12.1@117 2.1 60' vs 11.8@124. 2.3 60'. 11psi, same setup, just changed trans. That was with a slightly better than stock stall, no RPM off the line, no boost off the line, car would just push the tires. You are right, you should stick to the fun stuff and leave the real world to people that have actually done something other than read about it doing research.
Wow, a better 60' and still 7 mph slower and .3 sec. Were you making PB&J's between shifts or what? Sorry dude but you suck at driving stick. I hope your Camaro is an auto.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Bob....he's got ya there
Old 03-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Teching In

No issue, was just having fun with the statement that an automatic went into a boosted car and slowed down. It was 2 on one vs AJ, so I had to jump in.

Thats why I put at the bottom not to take anything I say seriously. I have had my fair share of boosted, nitrous and NA cars. 5/6spds and autos.
I thought he liked 2 guys????

Seriously, we are all friends on here and believe me, I have taken my fair share of ball-busting from everyone on MANY occasions.

Other than C5kid, I cannot think of anyone else I would want on my side in a bar fight other than AJ....real talk!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by quick77
Guess the auto goes when he decides to really go quick..... whatcha think Bob ???

I think an auto would be great for AJ, right up his alley. He was born to drive an auto!

Actually Cobra R was born to drive an auto, much easier making PB&J's.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Yeah, but he needs to start out with a powerglide till he gets that one two shift down
Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

I thought he liked 2 guys????

Seriously, we are all friends on here and believe me, I have taken my fair share of ball-busting from everyone on MANY occasions.

Other than C5kid, I cannot think of anyone else I would want on my side in a bar fight other than AJ....real talk!
I hope AJ is not getting mad. If he punches me and I go down, I might break my hip.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Teching In

LOL, know what you mean bob,between 2 bad knees and an f-ed up back I feel your pain ..... but yet I bought a,built manual trans for that vw project
Old 03-24-2011, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

LOL, know what you mean bob,between 2 bad knees and an f-ed up back I feel your pain ..... but yet I bought a,built manual trans for that vw project

Sweet! You know were probably the 2 oldest guys on here. Do they make knee replacements yet? I could use atleast 1.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:33 PM
10 Second Club

Mad, lmao hell no this is all about stanger banging all fun in games!!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

**** everyone and everything
Old 03-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Bob, I already have a right knee replaced,four years ago,thanks to rrd printing,left ones,acting up now,but I don't have all the 12 hr days to deal with. It's all good,looks like the camaro will finally be out this year!! Bought some steamrollers for tires....33-18.50-15s its going to be an,old,school pro st. ride.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this is some good ****
Old 03-24-2011, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Bob, I already have a right knee replaced,four years ago,thanks to rrd printing,left ones,acting up now,but I don't have all the 12 hr days to deal with. It's all good,looks like the camaro will finally be out this year!! Bought some steamrollers for tires....33-18.50-15s its going to be an,old,school pro st. ride.
I can't wait to see her run. Any ideas when she might make her first pass down the track? Will you need a new license to run her all out?

Quick Reply: *****ocean city cruise****2011******