Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

2011 Washington, DC Independence Day Parade

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2011 Washington, DC Independence Day Parade

Where: Well... the Nation's Capital (around the Mall area and down Constitution Ave)

When: Ummm... Monday, 4 July, 2011 (will stage late morning and be done around 4pm)

----------------------------------------------------------

It’s time again to start gathering a group together for this year’s Independence Day Parade. I'd like to get 10 vehicles for the event. It'll be organized the same as past parades; staging area, parade route, etc. Let me know via this thread if you'd like to be in the parade and I'll update the post with a current list of participants.

If you've not been in a parade, particularly of this caliber, you're truly missing out. Thousands of people come out to sit along the streets in DC to watch the craziness, veterans, floats, bands, clubs, celebrities, etc.

NOTE: Absolutely NO burnouts and NO "excessive" revving of engines. Well, maybe a little revving, but don't go nuts. And again, NO burnouts.

As in the past, we'll join forces with the 101st Airborne Division veterans. We've already talked and they're excited that we'll once again be participating together.

If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll get you on the list. First come, first serve. Once the list is filled, I'll start a waiting list. If someone drops out, I'll go to the waiting list and pull people in order. I have this announcement posted in a couple different forums. So, don't wait or judge based on responses here.

Please keep in mind that while I may be the coordinator, we all participate and contribute. Meaning... if you have what you think is a good idea, speak up. Most things are only as good as you make them and this event is no exception.

Thanks,
Marc
Old 06-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BUMP for a good cause and time!!
Old 06-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Mine should be back together by then so Im down.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cookba
BUMP for a good cause and time!!
Thanks... much appreciated

Oooorah!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by a383z
Mine should be back together by then so Im down.
Sweet! I'll post up more detailed information when I get the parade packet and know where they want us to stage and when.

Thanks,
Marc
Old 06-21-2011, 07:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default 2011 Washington, DC Independence Day Parade (update)

Hey everyone - I've received the parade package from the coordinators and can now follow up with the additional details. For y'alls personal planning... the parade begins at 11:45am. Since we're not at the front, we generally don't get to the actual beginning of the parade for about a half-hour after the start and it takes about 45 minutes 'til we're done (give or take). Since many people will want to get home for family/other events, I'm not planning for us to hang out afterward. If there's a few folks that want to do lunch or something, we can figure that out on parade day.

We'll meet at Cameron Run Park (see below for link to directions) in enough time to leave there at 9:30am Monday morning. I plan on arriving at the park around 9:00am. Make sure you show up with a fairly full tank of gas. We will not be stopping on the way to the Mall. Keep in mind you'll be idling through Washington, DC streets for a a good bit. That eats up a lot of gas... particularly if you're rocking heads and a cam. Don't forget that getting out of DC after the parade is not easy and takes some driving as well.

http://www.nvrpa.org/park/cameron_ru...and_directions

I don't know what the weather will be like, but count on it being hot. For those of you who have participated before, you may remember that sometimes they stage us in the shade and sometimes they don't. According to the staging map, they're sitting us on 7th St. right up against the Air & Space Museum (on the opposite side of the street where they staged us for this past Memorial Day Parade). Please plan for being in the sun all day. Make sure to bring LOTS of water (enough for yourselves and the Screaming Eagle vets), snacks, sunscreen, medication (if necessary), and anything else you think you may need for the day. We've also found that folding chairs are better than sitting in the dirt. There are places to get food if you're looking for some lunch while there. There's a McDonalds (limited menu) outside the Air & Space Museum as well as a cafeteria in their basement. There's a restroom in the museum as well.

Safety message: THERE WILL BE NO BURNOUTS EITHER AT CAMERON RUN PARK, THE PARADE STAGING AREA, OR IN THE PARADE. Anyone who violates that will be asked to leave. That's all I'll say about that.

Don't forget your cameras!! There's a lot of cool and crazy stuff to see and there will be thousands of people walking around. While I hate to say it... with that many people walking around, make sure you keep a close eye on your stuff. It would suck to come back to your car and find a bag you left on your front seat has been taken.

If you're driving a convertible, you'll be up front, T-Tops are next, followed by hardtops. Please be sure to bring whatever you need to protect your seats, tops, or whatever as some of the vets will be sitting or standing in areas of your car that weren't necessarily designed to be sat or stood on.

If anyone needs to get a hold of me... my cell number is (540) 226-3068. Don't hesitate to give me a call. This is particularly important if you're going to be late getting to Cameron Run Park. I have parking cards that I must provide everyone so that they can get into the parade route/staging area. If you get there after we leave... you'll miss out. I've posted the parade announcement on a couple different Camaro/Firebird forums, so I'm not bothering to keep track of who said they'd participate. If you want in the parade... be at the park before we leave. I have slots for eight cars, so it's first come, first serve.

If anyone who's been to the parade before has suggestions or sees something I may have omitted, please feel free to speak up.

Thanks to everyone and I look forward to seeing y'all Monday morning.

Marc
Old 07-02-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

If anyone from the Richmond, Fredericksburg, or Quantico area is going to the parade, we can meet at the Marine Corps Museum if you'd like. I'll be at the Museum's parking lot at roughly 8:15am, and plan on leaving there at 8:30 so we can be at Cameron Run Park at 9:00am. Give a shout if you'd like to meet at the Museum.

Marc
Old 07-05-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just wanted to say thanks to those who participated in yesterday's parade (Mike, Tim, Josh, Jermias, & George). We ended up with four cars (2 WS6s and 2 SSs), which is one more than last year. The parade was great fun and while I wasn't counting, I think there were more spectators than I've seen at any of the prior parades we've been in. Cherie and I had a great time and also enjoyed hanging out with everyone at the Capitol City Brewing Company for lunch afterward. Maybe next year we'll try the Mexican place across the street, just to change things up a little.

BTW, it's only taken about six years, but I think I've figured out the best route out of the city after leaving the debarkation area. For those of you who've attended one of these, you know how much of a PITA it is leaving considering the crowds and the fact that the police have every normal exit route blocked off. So as to remind myself while preparing for next year's parades, below is the general route that seems like it'll work best.

Right on E St, Left on 17th St, right on K St (bear to the right around the Carnegie Library), bear right on Massachusetts Ave, left on 7th St, right on New York Ave, right on 395 South.

The above wasn't exactly how we left the city yesterday, but after reviewing some maps, I believe this'll work better as it'll take us further north of and around the parade staging area and over toward 395. If anyone that's familiar with the area has suggestions that'll improve the departure route... please feel free to comment.

If anyone has pics, feel free to post 'em.

Also would like to thank the vets from the 101st Airborne. It's always pleasure spending time with you guys.

Thanks again to those who turned out,
Marc