Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Anyone RallyCross???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone RallyCross???

Looking to get into it. Not sure what kind of car i want for it, was thinking a typical dirt cheap subi to try it and see if i like it. Then i can build on from there. What do you guys think?
Old 06-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am intrigued by it too, finally found an event close enough to drive to and give it a shot down in Delaware. Gonna bolt up the snow tires and give it a go.

Typically the courses aren't so rough that the average daily driver can't make it through. Its more akin to autocrossing on dirt than it is a full out stage rally.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would hate to put my DD through that tho. Its to low, and for almost 110k it looks pretty clean.

I was hooked once i was on the tech while flipping through tv stations and saw one of the pro events. I sat back a second and finally realized what kind of car Ken Block was driving in gymkhana 3 that i saw a couple weeks earlier.

What i like most about it is the mixed conditions, and that its a relatively new sport in the US. Gives someone with out much budget and skill to learn and move up quick.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

I am still at stock ride height so it isn't much of an issue for me. Really anything can be fun out on the course, but subarus of any sort do populate the field because of their rally heritage. Their owners just tend to know more about that type of racing.

I have seen sentra se-rs, miatas, and older volkswagens all perform well too.

The scca level courses look like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P2ogaAfhV8
Old 06-24-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea that looks like fun, im starting to think mk1 golf. My brother is going in half and he likes and we both drive Vdubs as DD.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

Ran a RallyCross in the Camaro last weekend and had a great time tearing it up in the dirt. The car ran hot due to lack of air flow and high ambient temps but I didn't run into any other issues. Snow tires made a huge difference in traction too. I was the only american car in attendance.

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e282/kevn_17/

Old 07-31-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

That looks freaking awesome.. I almost wonder if it would be better with an A4 car...

Are there any corners where it actually benefits to downshift to slow you down to get through the corners, or can you just hit the gas more and slide the *** around the corner
Old 07-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

I never left first gear to tell you the truth. I think I hit the rev limiter once. Its more about navigating the corners than all out speed.

Did a lot of sliding
Old 10-06-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome that you went through with it. My brother picked up a 96 vw jetta two days ago, that he's using as his DD while we swap the motor in his regular daily. But its going to be a rallyX car once his is fixed.

Maybe even before if we don't get the car fixed by Nov 6th. Its a tiny 2.0 but as you mentioned its not a high speed or hp course.

Which class did you run, and what organization was it through. The event im planning on is the New England Region SCCA, Covered Bridge RallyX. I plan to stick to the stock fwd class. Although i do plan on a cheap bolt in roll bar i found on the VW forums. Time to learn left foot breaking and the Scandinavian flick.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

I ran with the Philadelphia region SCCA and this event was held in Dover, Delaware on the grounds of the monster mile.

I originally went with 'stock' classification but my minor mods (intake/exhaust) bumped me into a higher class. The event was small so my only competition was an old AW11 MR2.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been auto-xing my a4 trans am for the last few years, i never get out of first so i just pop it in 1 and hit the loud pedal, its a good time.

If my car wasnt so low id be down but id destroy it.
Get a cheap late 90's subaru impreza coupe which weigh nothing and go at it. I might give it a try when i finish my swap.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:43 PM

i would love to do that kinda racing, not in my WS6 though, i have autoX before and really enjoy it, but the track people usually freakout over all my mods especially if there is a regular there with a camaro or vette...they usually start protesting my car before i even get out of it...
Old 10-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Im taking that same camaro out to an autocross next weekend. Central Pennsylvania runs an event at an airport that gives a nice big course where you can get some speed up. Im just out for the fun of it, but the more events I attend the more competitive I want to be.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think for the rallyX you really need a beater car. Or be crazy competitive that you don't care if you screw up your daily a bit. Im almost done fixing the heatercore on my rallyx car. Can't beat a peppy $500 car for learning to rallyX.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

its something i always wanted to try, but its near impossible finding any events close to me. if you want to get into it, first look at how many events are near you, and decide how far you want to travel. itd be great to start, but if theres only one event held in driving distance, only a few times a year......it doesnt pay to make a dedicated car just for that.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So far this year there have been 8 events with 1 being just shy of 3 hour drive, the rest about 1.5 at most. The one in nov that im planning on is just shy of 3 hours.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Marcello7x
I think for the rallyX you really need a beater car. Or be crazy competitive that you don't care if you screw up your daily a bit. Im almost done fixing the heatercore on my rallyx car. Can't beat a peppy $500 car for learning to rallyX.
You do need something that is dedicated if you want to go full tilt. It was a rough on a street car and some places I nearly came to a stop, but some of that is just course design.

That said, someone there had a free gen 2 RX7 that was a blast to watch.
http://www.youtube.com/user/moxnix4u
Old 10-07-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The more i watch videos of events the more excited i get. Now i need to find a location i can practice some dirt driving.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Marcello7x
So far this year there have been 8 events with 1 being just shy of 3 hour drive, the rest about 1.5 at most. The one in nov that im planning on is just shy of 3 hours.
if it was that convenient here, id do it myself. i think there may be a total of 5 rallyx style events in the state of NJ, all year.

ill also echo to get some kind of dedicated car for this. it isnt autox, where the worst that can happen is you hit a cone. theres a real chance of rolling your car. not to mention trashing the body with rocks.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My Rallycross car is almost readyyy. I really need some practice roads.

Quick Reply: Anyone RallyCross???