Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Moving to Southern MD

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moving to Southern MD

I'm looking to move somewhere in southern MD the middle of August. I'm looking in the Charles, St. Mary's, and Calvert counties right now for a place.

First, I'm curious what emissions are like in the area. I looks like St. Mary's doesn't care about emissions. How strict are they in the other counties?

Also I really hate to put a front license plate on my baby. Is there any way around it? Does anybody go without? I saw the fine is $50, but I don't know if that increases with number of offenses.

Lastly, I am just starting to look for a place now. Anybody have recommendations on areas. Trying to get find a rental in the middle of DC and Lexington Park. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

sorry to here you are moving there just got out of there myself. st maries the inspection is 1 time no emmissions. if you need help going thru hit me ill set you up with someone to help. jt
Old 07-20-2011, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Thanks jt. Have to ask, what didn't you like about it down there? I was down for an interview a couple months ago and everything seemed pretty nice.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if its just a county thing or state wide, but here in Carroll County fines for no front plate were raised from $50 to $70. Some cops don't care, some enforce it like hawks.

As far as emissions, I've only gotten them done in Westminster and Owings Mills. From my experience Westminster was more relaxed than OM. Of course it all depends on the attendants.

*I've never had my Firebird tested yet, just my old Neon SXT and Taurus SES.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

When I go threw Southern Maryland It looks nice. One good thing when you move there your close to one of the best 1/4 mile tracks on the east coast MIR.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:46 AM
Teching In

Ok so I live in southern md and I dont mind it at all just moved here two years ago I live in upper Marlboro to b exact and its far enough from dc to not deal with traffic and close enough to go if u want to hang out. As far as front plates go haven't had a problem yet knock on wood. Cops here are too busy dealing with real criminals than to worry about petty **** like no front plate. Emissions was a breeze they plug into the obd connector and send u on ur way! It's easy!! But for the record if u go some where that has nothing for cops to do I'm sure u will get some attention but like I said two years going strong and my bird flies free on the bumper!! Hit me up when u make it down so we can cruise with the rest of the guys!! Good luck on ur search.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Firechkn01
Thanks jt. Have to ask, what didn't you like about it down there? I was down for an interview a couple months ago and everything seemed pretty nice.

Firechkn01 here is the thing with Southern Maryland for the most part it is very relaxed and great to raise a family. The issues with southern Maryland are there are more drugs floating around then you would imagine, most of the cops are incapable of doing anything besides write speeding tickets( this point is proven by the bank/funeral home robberies) and the general lack of entertainment. The lack of entertainment and the semi small town feel is what drives the younger generation of Southern Maryland crazy and leads them to believe anywhere is better than this while these same items draw the older crowd. I personally love being in Southern Maryland and dislike when I return to Towson for class while friends of mine feel the opposite.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Im in La Plata, til next month..... lived here for 10 yrs joined AF then moved to Italy, then they sent me back.... now Im outta here.... transamsam98 hit it in on the head.... if you are into the party and nightscene there isnt one here, but DC, Georgetown, Arlington all have a good one... .Ocean City is 3hrs away and always fun, MIR is right around the corner... its always something going on, but gotta be willing to do things... very nice area, but drugs and crime is high, I live in a neighborhood in the country and we had bad breakins, one was at the cops house, he caught them and didnt do anything but return them to the parents.... oh yea biggest thing, nobody in the area can drive right.... get defensive big time before you get here.....
Old 07-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

I am in MD and NOT in Southern MD. I need more to do than fish and drink(Transamsam even comes to my house to drink on occasion).

You do have buddcreek (MIRDRAG.COM)...

Emissions in MD is a JOKE. get by during the initial Safety inspection(they do a LOT more than just emissions the first time through) and you age golden. I have had 2 catless cars and as long as you dont throw a code, all they do is check the OBD2.

Enjoy MD, its one of very few states with as many varying EVERYTHINGS as MD. Seasons cultures topography EVERYTHING changes. You have everything from the KKK to DC/Bmore slums, Trailer parks to some of the richest areas in the nation(NW DC and Montgomery Co right next to it. You have Mountains and farm areas and the beach. Sever Urban and very rural. Its just a little bit of everything.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Thanks everybody. I'm definitely going to give it a couple tickets before I cave and put a front plate on. I've had a good amount of defensive driving practice up here at Penn State. I've seen plenty of MD and NJ people here and very few of them know how to drive, but the worst of it has to be the asians that come here for school. They are just awful. I didn't know much about the crime rate. I'll look into that more. Going down next weekend to take a look at some places. Looking for somewhere between Waldorf and Hughesville. I'm going to be working at the Pax Naval base and it sounds like the fiance has a job in DC.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:28 PM

I have no front plate on the V. Didnt run one on my honda either. Occasion tickets/warnings..

Did get told by a friend that if the car did NOT come with the mounts for one from the factory(my V has NO holes in the bumper and came from a no front tag state) you dont have to run one. There is also a senator or soemthing in Annapolis who is and has been trying to get rid of the front plate.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:33 PM

http://www.petitiononline.com/mdplate/petition.html
Old 07-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Teching In

KKK in the north what a joke and a bunch of fonies and wanna bees smh.
Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie
I am in MD and NOT in Southern MD. I need more to do than fish and drink(Transamsam even comes to my house to drink on occasion).

You do have buddcreek (MIRDRAG.COM)...

Emissions in MD is a JOKE. get by during the initial Safety inspection(they do a LOT more than just emissions the first time through) and you age golden. I have had 2 catless cars and as long as you dont throw a code, all they do is check the OBD2.

Enjoy MD, its one of very few states with as many varying EVERYTHINGS as MD. Seasons cultures topography EVERYTHING changes. You have everything from the KKK to DC/Bmore slums, Trailer parks to some of the richest areas in the nation(NW DC and Montgomery Co right next to it. You have Mountains and farm areas and the beach. Sever Urban and very rural. Its just a little bit of everything.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:46 PM

i dont know WHERE they aer. I dont know who they are. I am just glad I dont look the half a jew that I am when and if I pass them.

Speaking of which might go to 75-80 tonight. Pretend to not be not 100% pure christian and white. LOL

i was merely pointing out that MD has the MOST varying things in the world
Old 07-30-2011, 03:14 AM
Teching In

Represent who u are and be proud!! Forget those negative ducks with and f