Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Penn State. Hmmmm

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 06:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Penn State. Hmmmm

Ok beside the university and the head coach not doing enough to stop a known predator on the campus. Let me ask something.

Should Penn State show they are more than just a football team and are a university 1st and foremost and cancel Saturdays football out of respect for the victims in this crime? And to show they are more about the school/university than a football team?

Now lets remember Penn State would lose 8million in revenue if they cancel the game. Just trying to put this in perspective. It seems to me.

Football is not what this university is about? Football is what started all this trouble. So it seems to me 8 million dollars in revenue is greater then the University`s reputation as a school because they are determined to show they are a football team.

And the idiot red head coach! If I see your child being raped in the shower should I turn and walk away also??? Tell me please.

Children > football / Cash > then reputation so there is a football game. Make sense.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

Remember the kids on the football team did nothing to deserve a penalty. They have to play the game.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:19 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by NOTFAST
Remember the kids on the football team did nothing to deserve a penalty. They have to play the game.
Oh **** the kids???? Those kid signed up for a university that allowed that to happen. What about the really little kids who didnt get a choice? Is it really about the football team?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

"And the idiot red head coach! If I see your child being raped in the shower should I turn and walk away also??? Tell me please."

I can't believe more fuss is not being made about that guy. Anyone with half a brain seeing a 10 year old being molested or handled in a non appropriate way would at the very least confront the pervert.

Cancelling the game would be a classy move. I don't see it happening though.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikep2002
Oh **** the kids???? Those kid signed up for a university that allowed that to happen. What about the really little kids who didnt get a choice? Is it really about the football team?
They signed up to a University that they had no idea that this happened at. This incident happened how many years ago? 15? So the kids were 10? Now they are 25? They never said anything to their families? Friends? etc? I am not saying it didnt happen, but for a word to never have been spoken seems fishy.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

The money factor is what probably kept the lid on this thing so long. It was said that the football program has brought in a billion dollars for Penn State. The college did not want to see this come to light at the time and it got shoved under a rug. I additionally heard that a lawyer gathering information on the situation disappeared. His car was found, but he was not.

Last edited by Z28Z06; 11-10-2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-10-2011, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mikep2002
Punish people that should be punished. Joe Paterno, the idiots who saw something and did nothing, the AD, the school president, the molestor -- anyone who knew and did nothing. Punish the idiots rioting in the streets last night.

The kids on the football team did nothing wrong. They don't deserve to be punished.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

What I don't understand is, why would you not tell the police immediately if you knew children were being raped? Some of these people (including Paterno) said they told their supervisor. If I knew someone I worked with was a rapist I wouldn't be telling my supervisor, I'd tell the police. It's not like he was stealing pens.

Originally Posted by Z28Z06
The money factor is what probably kept the lid on this thing so long. It was said that the football program has brought in a billion dollars for Penn State. The college did not want to see this come to light at the time and it got shoved under a rug. I additionally heard that a lawyer gathering information on the situation disappeared. His car was found, but he was not.
This story is really weird. The district attorney investigating Sandusky (the accused molester) disappeared after telling his wife he was going for a drive. His car was found near a river but no body. His laptop was found in the river with no hard drive. The hard drive was later found, mostly wiped clean. The only information that was recovered was that the last thing that was searched for online on that computer was how to erase a hard drive. The body has yet to be found.
Originally Posted by Cam72aro
They signed up to a University that they had no idea that this happened at. This incident happened how many years ago? 15? So the kids were 10? Now they are 25? They never said anything to their families? Friends? etc? I am not saying it didnt happen, but for a word to never have been spoken seems fishy.
You really think this stuff was made up? Sandusky is not even denying the charges.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:45 PM
9 Second Club

Punish people that should be punished. Joe Paterno, the idiots who saw something and did nothing, the AD, the school president, the molestor -- anyone who knew and did nothing. Punish the idiots rioting in the streets last night.

The kids on the football team did nothing wrong. They don't deserve to be punished.
Correct where I am wrong here... I believe this all took place based on Penn States football program? I believe the head of Penn States athletics was arrested for willing knowing this was going on and not properly reporting it. Bigger picture here people. Its not about the kids playing football. Its about the entire football program and the people within it. Its corrupt shut it down clean it up bring it back. I am big Penn State fan but wrong is wrong.

Lets take some other programs. Kids taking payments for playing. There are all kinds of penalties handed out to the university for that. I think child rape is a bit more offensive. Lets get this right if one kid takes a payment for playing all the other kids get bushwacked by that and thats ok. But when a university turns its back on children there is no penalty???? I love the way you people think...
Old 11-11-2011, 08:15 AM
9 Second Club

I think the game should be played. Students/players worked hard and should get to play.

Cant beleive anyone could walk out of a room where a child was being molested. That person is as guilty as the rapist and so is anyone that had ANY knowledge of this conduct going on.

How so many with such bad character could be involved with such a successfull program boggles the mind.

Just heard (just now) there were death threats made to the interim head coach, Lol-he's not coaching the game now.

Maybe in the interest of safety they really should cancell the game.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

Keep in mind what the revenue from the football program does for the entire university.

I am more interested in seeing the players and students putting together their own form of tribute rather than the board being anymore involved in this than they have been. The board has already proven themselves incapable of policing institution.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:21 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm with MikeP on this. I think the football program should be shut down for the remainder of the season due to the broad range of people involved in covering up one of the worst acts known to humanity, hurting children. The entire program, school, board all did their best to keep quiet and cover things up for years. We're not talking about a sexual harrasment suit, or someone having an affair, we're talking about abusing children on campus grounds and people sweeping it under the rug.

Take the students who have scholarships and let them keep them, allow them to transfer if they want, but the games and program should be shut down for the year, at least, if not longer.

Don't get me started about the idiots who rioted after JoPa got **** canned. They all need a heavy dose of reality. In the real world, you commit a crime, or conduct yourself in a manor that is detremental to the companies public image, and guess what, your *** will be on the street looking for a new paycheck. That's a fact. The students better learn it now.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

[/QUOTE]

You really think this stuff was made up? Sandusky is not even denying the charges.[/QUOTE]

Go back and reread what I wrote. I said not denying that it happened.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im glad i jumped in here and read this thread, i learned a lot of new info on the controversy.

its a tough call but if i was the president or dean on penn state i would keep the football program going. but fire everyone who runs it. bring in someone completley unrelated to penn state's program to finish the season with just the players then sort out everything else in the off season.

if i was NCAA i would shut them down for at the very least the rest of this season and all of next season.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Teching In

I hate to bring this back up. I am a Penn State Alum and the whole thing sickens me, but I have to throw my opinions out there even though it sounds like none of you will agree with me. The game was played, nothing bad came about it, and I thought the students and Penn State community painted themselves in a good light. However, there are still so many issues that I feel are unresolved that it is hard to organize my thoughts. There are so many questions we don't have answers to, or at least don't know the truth about. The whole DA story is extremely fishy.
I'll just discuss two issues that were brought up here. First, the argument that this is a football issue and that the football program should be shutdown for a period of time. This statement is complete bullshit and makes no sense to me. This is not an issue with the football program, it is an issue with a perverted man and corrupt officials. The president and the athletic director covered this up to try to protect the name of penn state. Instead they just made it worse. Not a direct comparison but bare with me. Since the shooting at Virginia Tech was by done by a korean student studying english, does that mean that VT shouldn't allow korean students into the university and more or shut down their english department.
Another one that really gets me is the firing of JoePa. I don't agree with it. While you can argue he could have done more, he didn't break the law. My opinion, McQuery (the red-headed guy) should be taking more of the blame than JoePa. If JoePa would have gone to the cops, he would have just been giving them a second-hand story. Why should it be JoePa's place to cover for McQuery. He was plenty old enough to go on his own. He didn't need JoePa holding his hand. I feel the firing the JoePa was all induced by the pressure of the media. They skewed the story how they wanted to make the biggest story possible. They brought down a legend that everybody thought was the most moral coach in any sport.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

The odds of a Penn State alum having an unbiased view of Joe Paterno are slim.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Teching In

The odds of a Penn State alum having an unbiased view of Joe Paterno are slim.
Actually I like the fact that he is gone. I've wanted him to retire for years so we can get fresh coaches in there and more importantly fresh play calling, but I don't agree with the board firing him over this. I have talked to many I work with that have come from different schools and none of them agree with the firing of JoePa. So NOTFAST, what is your reason for JoePa being fired or are you just one of the many that just goes along with the media and can't develop your own views.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Joe Paterno should have been fired without a doubt. His involvement is obviously up for debate, but the facts are, he knew about something and didnt do anything (or enough) about it.

When you are a supervisor of others, you have different expectations than that of those that report to you. If someone reports something to you, you do not just report it to a superior and move on. Especially when something if of this magnitude.

This isnt a case where an employee was stealing or coming to work late. it was the rape of children.

I feel that what happened was originally the sandusky issues were kept away from Paterno. Then when it was brought to his attention by the asst coach, he pushed it up the ladder and moved on...which was completely wrong thing to do. Maybe he wouldnt have done it if he had known about the prior stuff that the AD/school pres knew about.

Joe Paterno should not be held in the high regard he used to be, solely because of this situation.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Joe P knew what was going on. How do you run a program like that and not know a suspected child abuser still has access to the facility etc..? Repeated complaints and occurences....

Pretty obvious and thats why Sandusky "retired". The whole thing is rotten. And yes the football program is the reason why. Its a money maker for the school

I think since children were involved they should all be punished.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:54 PM
9 Second Club

No offense Firechicken but I think you are in left field here. What part of Md are you... Because I swear it has to border West Virgina with your thinking.