Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Found a lift for header install

Old 12-01-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Found a lift for header install

Well guys it took a while but I found a place that is willing to rent me a lift for a couple hours that is just over the Carroll - Baltimore County line on MD26. I'll be doing ARH LT's, ARH Y-pipe, and Poly MM's, deleting EGR and AIR in the process. Its actually a service station and the operator said I can do it on a Saturday between 8am - 3pm. I figure with a lift it won't take too terribly long to get it done but I'm looking for anyone with experience that is interested to help out. Just looking for maybe 1 or 2 people that aren't busy that know what their doing just in case to make sure it gets done quick. PM me for more info if you're interested.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Internet Mechanic

Wish I lived closer, but I don't.

Just make sure you have all the tools needed, extension, basically every contingency you can think of. Air tools will help with getting the CAT studs/nuts off. Also start soaking all rust welded parts with PB Blaster or whatever rust penetrator so you wont have issues cracking stuff loose.

Also get new o2 sensors.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

new O2 sensors? why are they necessary? never heard that you had to replace them too
Old 12-01-2011, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
new O2 sensors? why are they necessary? never heard that you had to replace them too
They're not. You'll just be pulling the rear O2's out of the harness and plugging the front O2's in the only bungs available down on the collectors if you aren't running cats.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:30 AM
Internet Mechanic

You still use the fronts and if the car has not yet been tuned to show "Ready-no-report" on the rears, the car still uses them with exception of possibly a Speed Density tune which someone who actually tunes cars can weigh in on that.

It is what's called the "Right" way of doing things.

But if you have decided to delete the cats, then have the rear o2's turned off when you go for the dynotune as your going to need it as most of the gains are in adjusting the PCM.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was going to install the LT's and ORY to delete the cats so I only have the front O2s moved back. I know this will cause an engine light. I'm not worried about getting it tuned out right away. I would get a tune though, mail in most likely from Frost unless I get the torque converter in Summer, then I'll do a full dyno tune.

The only thing I am concerned about is if I get a bad tech for emissions and they check for cats. If I fail I'll have to put the stock exhaust back on and I don't know how the car is going to react to having an aftermarket tune with all 4 O2's back on it (unless I plug one set for the tune) and yes I know I would need block offs for the AIR and EGR in the manifolds.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:17 AM
Internet Mechanic

Depends on what your state requirements are, visual is very important in most. But depends on the place. Also if the PCM needs to be scanned, all monitors needs to be in ready status.

I have a pesky o2 sensor issue as well and just ran out of time this year, will have to get it set for next. Could be my Dynatech Cats are degrading, or a o2 sensor going bad (see replaced when I did the LT install).

I am going to have my rear 2 shut off soon so either way I need not worry incase I am going to change out the Corsa.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard that here some places use a mirror under the car (not sure if they actually look though) and some don't. The two places I've been too have used a mirror. For the PCM I planned on getting the rear O2s deleted and the CEL's erased for the EGR and AIR and cats. So I'm hoping if I add them back on for emissions it wont hurt anything or stop me from passing even with all the proper stuff (minus egr and air - since i'd have block off plates)

I guess if it is an issue I could find a cheap set of used pacesetter LTs and catted y for sale and throw those on so the tune wouldn't be an issue
Old 12-02-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have heard that here some places use a mirror under the car (not sure if they actually look though) and some don't. The two places I've been too have used a mirror. For the PCM I planned on getting the rear O2s deleted and the CEL's erased for the EGR and AIR and cats. So I'm hoping if I add them back on for emissions it wont hurt anything or stop me from passing even with all the proper stuff (minus egr and air - since i'd have block off plates)

I guess if it is an issue I could find a cheap set of used pacesetter LTs and catted y for sale and throw those on so the tune wouldn't be an issue
A visual is required here in PA and a lot of the time if your car clears the OBD2 scan, then in their mind it is in "Working Order" so there is no reason to thoroughly look into your emissions equipment. A visual is mostly just done for safety equipment.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Internet Mechanic

To be technical Federal law mandates that the CAT cannot be removed from the stock location so hence all LT headers are technically not legal. You just dont want to get screwed at an emissions station that actually looks...
Old 12-02-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard that here some places use a mirror under the car (not sure if they actually look though) and some don't. The two places I've been too have used a mirror.
I recently got my TA done at the Westminster location (first time in YEARS). I had to get new plates, so my emissions loophole fell through. They used a mirror, but walk around so fast I doubt they saw anything, and that's assuming they know what to look for. It was more of a running through the motions type thing, not an actual inspection. Anyway, if my car easily passed while loping hard enough to shake the entire inspection station, you should be OK. No cats, no AIR, no EGR... Drew lots of attention, but no engine light on and no codes
Old 12-02-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
I recently got my TA done at the Westminster location (first time in YEARS). I had to get new plates, so my emissions loophole fell through. They used a mirror, but walk around so fast I doubt they saw anything, and that's assuming they know what to look for. It was more of a running through the motions type thing, not an actual inspection. Anyway, if my car easily passed while loping hard enough to shake the entire inspection station, you should be OK. No cats, no AIR, no EGR... Drew lots of attention, but no engine light on and no codes
Exactly. More than likely if the computer returns no symptoms of faulty emissions equipment, there is no reason for them to be thorough with something that has no problems. You get your codes shut off via PCM and you're golden lol
Old 12-02-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good guys thanks. Hey Marc, how about we try to match up when we get our emissions done and we can go at the same time so my car doesn't look suspicious? lol
Old 12-03-2011, 02:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A buddy of mine and I installed them on my WS6 in about 8 hours, I say we spent no more than 5 hours actually under the hood. Having your new plugs gapped and "anti-seized" along with PB Blasting your header bolts for a few days before the install will save you so much time and effort.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like I'll have to get some PB blaster then, and I keep forgetting I can't just drop the new plugs in. I don't even know what their supposed to be gapped too
Old 12-03-2011, 09:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your lift rental might end up into 2 days.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I seriously hope not because I was planning on doing it friday 12/16 and on the 17th I have to be in PA.

The place I think I'l going to have to use is open from 9am to 8pm...I've heard that people have done header swaps pretty quick, like 4-5 hours in some cases
Old 12-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I seriously hope not because I was planning on doing it friday 12/16 and on the 17th I have to be in PA.

The place I think I'l going to have to use is open from 9am to 8pm...I've heard that people have done header swaps pretty quick, like 4-5 hours in some cases
If you have never done it before it will deff take you longer than 4-5 hours.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have never done it and have a lack of hands on mechanical knowledge.

WS.666 is supposed to help, he has done the install a few times of LS cars.
I am also looking for 1-2 other people that have header swap experience to help out. I'm hoping for under 8 hours total time.

Search this Thread