Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

No police reports given after an accident?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No police reports given after an accident?

This happened in Montgomery county (Maryland)

My sister got into an accident tonight and was told she couldn't get a police report because there was no tow truck or ambulance needed for anyone. (3 car accident)

First off is this true? If it is, whats to stop the person who hit her from lying to her insurance after the fact?!

Its just odd.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:24 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wrecked in MD and hit a guardrail. Cop came out and said that in order to get a police report I would get a ticket for hitting guardrail.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

It seems like it would be extremely hard to prove if the person lies about it at a later time. Its your word against theirs at that point.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The insurance companies will determine who is at fault so there's no need for a police report.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Determining fault and damages is a civil matter. The police do not handle civil matters; that's the courts job. The only reason for the police to take a report would be if there are injuries or if the accident was caused by one of the involved parties breaking the law.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure how alike our state laws are, but as long as nobody is injured in an accident in the state of PA there is no need for a police report.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

I know in PA, at least from what my insurance agent told me, if any car is disabled in an accident the police are supposed to be called and write a report. You can always call them at an accident and request a report.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah in MD if the accident is only property damage and the vehicles can both be driven from the scene, and there are no reported injuries, no report is written.

--Alan
Old 01-21-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Some cities the police doesn't even come out for wrecks. You just exchange info and continue speeding.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea in NY they are not required to write a report unless there are injuries or significant damage. Most of the time, unless the officer witnesses the accident, the report won't determine fault anyway. It's up to the insurance companies to sort it out.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Interesting. Ill keep that in mind. Thanks guys!
Old 01-27-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Pictures, video, pictures...
Old 02-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Yea, this same thing happened to me. I called the city PD and an officer came out but didn't write a report. It definitely weakened my case with the insurance company.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

Why would you want a police report? Thats what carfax uses.

So no police report = clean car fax
Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

I know this is old...

Carfax does not use Police Reports..... Carfax gets the information from major body shops, mechanical shops and insurance companies.

In PA, we have whats called REPORTABLE and NON REPORTABLE accidents. Dont get me wrong, EVERYTHING we do, gets a report... but that is not the report that is refered to above. The report that is always done is an INCIDENT report, and the public is not always privledged to have those.

Now, a non reportable accident is the term given to an accident where, no injuries occured, no property damage (outside of the vehicles) occured, and that all the vehicles are driveable.....

A reportable accident is one where we fill out a form, either carbon copied form by hand, or a computer form, that is uploaded right to PENN-DOT. It gives all types of information for PENN-DOT to annalyse roadways.... Which brings me to my last point...

ACCIDENT reports from REPORTABLE ACCIDENTS are completed for the sake of PENN DOT to improve roadways...... Believe it or not, if you are driving your vehicle and it catches on fire while driving, I MUST do a reportable accident report. PENN DOT then takes that information, stores it, and if it is a repeat problem, the roadway will be checked out to see if it can be improved to avoid vehicles struggling and bursting in to flames. Keep in mind, that is a very extreme example. But my point is, that REPORTABLE accident forms are for the Department Of Transportation to improve roadways, and roadway safety.

One last example.... it is through our Reportable accident reports that some traffic lights, stop signs and other safety oriented changes are made, based on a certain amount of serious injury, or fatalities at said points.

Again, I know this was an older thread but hope that clarifies things.

PS- In PA, a subject involved may not even be given a REPORTABLE ACCIDENT FORM.... however they will be given a OFFICIAL, NOTIFICATION OF ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION form... On that form, it has all of the information for the parties and individuals involved for the sake of insurance companies to handle civil matters........

Sorry bout my spelling mistakes... Im typing fast.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:50 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by popo8
But my point is, that REPORTABLE accident forms are for the Department Of Transportation to improve roadways, and roadway safety.
I didn't realize PennDot actually did anything.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Happened to me in Dallas, TX. Semi-truck side swiped me going down the high way. Trashed my door and freaked the hell out of me. Called the police and they asked: "Is anyone hurt?" - No. "Okay, just get his insurance information. We won't send a unit."

Later on, the trucker's insurance company demanded a police report. Since no unit was sent to the indecent, there was not police report. I called Dallas PD, and they had no record of anything. I took my car to get the damaged estimated for repairs. Came out to higher than I thought, but since I have a $1000 deductible, I didn't want to get my insurance company involved plus it would go on my record. Therefore, I had to settle for whatever the trucker's insurance company would offer, which was about $450 less than the average estimates I got. They said in order to replace a door, there was absolutely no reason to blend or paint around the corners of the fenders (all of which I was told is industry standard for warranty through body shops).

In the end.. I said screw it and took what they gave me to swap an ls2 in my ride. I'm still rocking the hole in my door

Last edited by Lockdown99ss; 02-16-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I didn't realize PennDot actually did anything.

LOL... ok, well the intention is for Penn-DONT to do something with it.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

God I love how insurance company's love to **** people over. I hope I never get hit in my Trans Am.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:17 AM
11 Second Club

I used to work in a dealership. We had a carfax rep come in and give a talk about how it works and how to use it to sell cars.

They said flat out they use police reports only, but people trust it as the end all be all for telling if a cars been in an accident which isn't true.

Quick Reply: No police reports given after an accident?