Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

New mass inspection rules?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default New mass inspection rules?

While my buddy was at autozone getting some parts, a fellow fbody guy mentioned to him that Mass has a few new rules regarding passing inspection, one of which being the actual checking of rear o2 sensor readings. And if there isn't enough of a swing they will fail you.

As many people with headers around here have them turned off in a tune, I feel like this could be problematic if they see no readings from the rear sensors. And even if you have high flow cats and plug them back in, there might not be enough of a swing in the readings to pass.

Has anyone heard about any changes in regards to emission? I tried searching the mass.gov website and they make no mention of such.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paging Ron (rdm85mcss)
Old 01-26-2012, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know they changed the inspection rules awhile ago regarding alot of things. I got a sticker back in july with no problems. Im pretty sure as long as the readiness bits are "ok" or "passed" you should be good. I cleared faults out of the ecm checked the readiness bits just for the hell of it and they were all ok. Passed with flying colors. Maybe slowhawk knows more info on this...
Old 01-26-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah I know about the readiness tests, those I'm all set on.

Per this guy, who could just be completely BSing here, some rules were changed within the past few weeks...so it's more recent than July. My inspection is due in February, so I hopefully everything will be the same but I figured I'd ask anyone else that has maybe gone to the inspection station recently.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched a sticker get done yesterday for one of our customers cars. The readings looked the same on the screen, just checked readiness status and all good. I asked him and he said he hasnt heard anything yet.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Cool, thanks Sean. Seems like there aren't any major changes to worry about.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Kid is full of ****.

They check the readiness which pretty much checks they are there. Thats why our tuning is so good. Computer says they are there.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Kid is full of ****.

They check the readiness which pretty much checks they are there. Thats why our tuning is so good. Computer says they are there.
Im glad I heard this from you. I actually heard they are going to be doing a visual check to make sure your exhaust is stock. PLZ tell me im wrong