Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Stink Bugs in the car, fml

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stink Bugs in the car, fml

So like the title says, now that winter is gone, I'm starting to find stink bugs in my car. I bought the car up in Lancaster PA, and when I brought it back, it was still warm enough for the fall stink bugs to be pretty active. I usually found at least 1 somewhere on the exterior of the vehicle every time I drove it.

I have to park both of my vehicles outside, and I noticed that even though my car and truck are side by side in the driveway, the bugs only stayed on my car. Now I figured it's probably because it came from up in PA where the stink bugs have been worse lately, and there were lingering chemicals from them on the car that caused the local bugs to flock to it. So after several cycles of cleaning the car, I finally stopped seeing them crawling around on it.

Dead ones were in the engine bay, inside my door panel moisture barrier, and other parts of the car, and I've done my best to remove them from areas I can get to. Hell, when I took my Porter Cable to the car some dead ones even fell out from up under the body of the car from the vibrations.

But about 2 weeks ago I was in my car, and literally watched one crawl out from behind my door panel, which I flicked out the window while driving. And when I came back from a short vacation last weekend I found another dead one on top of my dash. So I'm worried they're still hiding somewhere else in the car I can't get to.

I guess what I'm asking here is if anyone else is having problems with these pests getting into their cars, especially in the Lancaster PA area where my car came from, and also if anyone knows of a way to keep them away from my car. I've heard people using dryer sheets on screens to keep them out of homes, something about stink bugs hating the scent, so maybe keeping some of those in the interior will keep them out? I'm hoping someone else has some insight here, because I'd really hate to have an out of control infestation in my car by the time summer really rolls around...
Old 04-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Damn that sucks I'm from Lancaster pa but haven't seen a single one yet maybe it's just town related. A few years ago maybe 3-4 there where allot
Old 04-30-2012, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Other than in my car, I haven't seen anymore around here yet either. Usually I'll start seeing some at work pretty regularly, but I haven't yet. Lol finding 1-2 dead ones is alright, what has me worried is when their prime weather rolls around again.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:23 PM
9 Second Club

I think once the hot weather comes just park that car in the sun for an afternoon with the windows closed.
Those ******* will just cook in there or GTFO. It'll prolly be 130 degrees in the car-those temps even kill bedbugs.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

Lol I think the tint I just got a few weeks ago might be counter productive to baking the inside of my car. But since it's parked outside every day hopefully it'll be enough to roast those ****** this summer.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:16 PM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya hoping the special wasps they released to kill the stink bugs work. Hate those damn things.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cool28
Ya hoping the special wasps they released to kill the stink bugs work. Hate those damn things.
Did they? I know I read about some biologists debating the wasps, didn't know they went forward with it.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02'Andy
Did they? I know I read about some biologists debating the wasps, didn't know they went forward with it.
a ozone machine in your car for some time may work also
Old 05-01-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Attached Thumbnails Stink Bugs in the car, fml-242113.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

Stink bugs are attracted to the smell they give off. Whatever you do, do NOT squash them, it will attract others. You just have to let them die off. I don't know of any proven ways to get rid of them. I am also hoping the wasps take care of them.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99MUSTANG5.3L
Stink bugs are attracted to the smell they give off. Whatever you do, do NOT squash them, it will attract others. You just have to let them die off. I don't know of any proven ways to get rid of them. I am also hoping the wasps take care of them.
Yeah I'm always careful to get them away from the car without killing them when I find them alive. Then I usually flush them so they can't attract more.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by X-ray
Lmfao now I need some praying mantis' around here.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

Man found a mammoth sized adult one walking around the inside of my windshield tonight. The ***** was almost an inch long. Had to scoop it up and go flush it. I think I'm gonna try rubbing my interior down with dryer sheets like people do with their screens in the morning, see if that helps any.

I know there's also a decent light trap for them, but I think that might just attract more of them to my car.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That really sucks. We've got a million of them here in Lancaster, especially in our attic, but none in our cars. Wonder how the hell they all got in there? He must have left the windows open or something.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

like i said earlier rent an ozone machine
Old 05-02-2012, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02gangsta/ss
like i said earlier rent an ozone machine
If the stuff I tried today has no effect, that's probably my next step. Where can I get one that isn't overly expensive? I took a quick look last night and only saw expensive ones rated for massive square footage for houses and stuff.

Last edited by 02'Andy; 05-02-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

If the stuff I tried today has no effect, that's probably my next step. Where can I get one that isn't overly expensive? I took a quick look last night and only saw expensive ones rated for massive square footage for houses and stuff.
you should be able to rent a small machine or a auto detailer in your area should have one as well the ozone changes the air molecules to ozone 3 and should kill any residual stuff left from the stink bugs along with killing the rest of them if there is a nest etc so after ozone they wont go back to your car because they wont be able to tell any others were there
Old 05-02-2012, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

if you do rent a ozone machine and put in your car DO NOT be in car with it and after its done you will need to air out the car for at least an hour ....ozone is very dangerous and can kill you i run a restoration company in masschusetts that uses these for mold etc and just want to make sure that you know what it is ....alot of people dont really know what an ozone machine does and thinks its safe to breathe.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02gangsta/ss
if you do rent a ozone machine and put in your car DO NOT be in car with it and after its done you will need to air out the car for at least an hour ....ozone is very dangerous and can kill you i run a restoration company in masschusetts that uses these for mold etc and just want to make sure that you know what it is ....alot of people dont really know what an ozone machine does and thinks its safe to breathe.
Nah, I knew not to be in the car with it. Pretty much like sitting in a house while a bug fogger is going off. I'll have to check out my local equipment rental places if I need to go that far. Any particular type of ozone generator I should look for (seeing as it would need to be in the car, nothing that would be a fire hazard to carpet and all)? And unless I'm mistaken, I thought ozone can damage fibers and plastic and stuff from prolonged exposure?

Last edited by 02'Andy; 05-03-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Nah, I knew not to be in the car with it. Pretty much like sitting in a house while a bug fogger is going off. I'll have to check out my local equipment rental places if I need to go that far. Any particular type of ozone generator I should look for (seeing as it would need to be in the car, nothing that would be a fire hazard to carpet and all)? And unless I'm mistaken, I thought ozone can damage fibers and plastic and stuff from prolonged exposure?
just a smaller ozone machine for at least a few hours will not harm anything there shouldnt be any risk of fire etc unless you leave the ozone machine in there for 24hrs and its such a small space no harm will be done you have to remember ozone is everywhere thunerstorms and spring rain etc create a certain amount of ozone so your car has already been subjected to it that is my recommendation ozone machine works for many applications and is very useful just dont overdue it try running it in there for 2 hours ad go from there

Quick Reply: Stink Bugs in the car, fml