Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Can you pass emissions in PA with headers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you pass emissions in PA with headers?

I have a 1994 Camaro z28 its bone stock, im looking for a more throaty v8 sound and some more power out of my lt1, I figure if I a get a set of headers going into true duals or a catback ill get the desired sound and power increase im looking for. Ive read on many performance parts sites that headers are only for "offroad and track applications." Is it possible to pass emissions in Pennsylvania with headers and if so what else would I need to do past the headers for it to pass emissions?
Old 12-02-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can tune the O2s out of the computer, so it'll look clean if it gets plugged in. You're only in trouble if they do a visual inspection. But PA emissions are done at private shops right? So it should just be a matter of knowing the right inspector.

If you're real worried about it, just start with a loud catback, like a Loudmouth or a Borla with the plate out. It won't get you the power, but it'll get you the sound. Then there are other ways to make power.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Technically a 94 would only get a visual check therefor off road style headers with no provisions for AIR would fail. That being said I doubt most people would notice if it was missing. As long as your check engine light is off and you have something that resembles cats under it you should be fine. Other than that I would just say make friends with an emissions inspector as the visual check is pretty much up to their discretion.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I passed emissions with long tubes, dumped true duals, no cats, and no AIR. Just have to know the right person. If you just have long tubes with cats and an exhaust that exits the rear, it shouldn't be hard to pass. I doubt many would care. Go to local shops first and talk to them, see what they say. I don't think it will be a big deal.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Launching!

depends on what county you are in. Some counties only require a gas cap check and a visual inspection. Other counties require and OBD2 check for 95 and newer vehichles. So either way as long as it looks like you have all the factory equipment you shouldnt have any problems passing. I have my emissions license and have never failed a car for aftermarket equipment.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have passed every year with no emissions equipment. I removed my secondary air injection, the EGR system from my Camaro, the cats and the rear O2's.

With some shops if you can pass the initial OBD2 scan they are lenient on the visual as if it passes the scan then according to them everything is in working order.

The shop that I take my cars to built the supercharged 383 stroker that my dad had in his Firebird back in the day. You just have to have connections, I am sure there are some people on here that are registered for PA inspection and would hook you up.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I live in Dauphin county if that helps any fastassls1maro and I know they do the OBD2 check because I live so close to Harrisburg. Do you know if they would OBD2 check my 94?

Last edited by 94 camaro-z28; 12-03-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

94 has obd1. Gas cap visual I think it is.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Launching!

yeah coolz28 is correct....they will just to a gas cap check and a visual. most guys just do the gas cap test and if it passes they put a sticker on it. If you go to a shop that follows the book you will have to have all the original equipment that came on the car...cats, egr, pcv, o2 sensors, etc.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

Hmm.. the shop I used to work at made OBD1's run on the dyno.
My car passed with bald drag radials and lack of everything related to emissions at a Toyota Dealership.
Nice to have friends.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

It all depends on what county you live in. Over here just across the river in cumberland county its more lax. If you live in some of the more rural counties its REALLY lax. 94 probably would be a visual and OBD I. As long as you have cats on there (or hollowed out ones if you please) most places wont care unless you go to a dealer. If youre having problems over there head to a different county and you'll have a pretty good shot
Old 12-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Alright thanks guys looks like I will be ordering headers, does anyone have any suggestions on shorty or longtube headers?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

I just recently bought a 2001 Z28 from a guy off here from York, PA. Car had SLP longtubes, catted Y-pipe, and SLP Loudmouth. Had a tune.Now, I am not sure what all was done with the tune, but it passed emissions.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tmurph01
I just recently bought a 2001 Z28 from a guy off here from York, PA. Car had SLP longtubes, catted Y-pipe, and SLP Loudmouth. Had a tune.Now, I am not sure what all was done with the tune, but it passed emissions.

Hope that helps.
If he had it tuned for the headers, the O2 sensors were most likely tuned out; so when the computer is plugged in to test it, everything will read normal.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tmurph01

Hope that helps.

The car was tuned for the headers. The rear o2 codes were deleted. Pa vehicles are emissions exempt if you drive them less than 5,000 miles a year. I had no problems passing emissions with this car when I owned it though.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its a visual inspection. If you keep it under 5000 miles a year its exempt of emissions. Otherwise find the right person to inspect it.

Quick Reply: Can you pass emissions in PA with headers?