Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

O`Mally`s Proposed Gun Laws

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Giddswat
One thing no one wants to talk about is providing physical security at all public schools.
Nuts and criminals have no regards for established laws, even with the most extreme gun control laws in place, we will have more mass shootings in our school systems. We need trained armed professionals in the schools who can stop an attack when they start. Physical security also provides a strong deterrent, 95% of the shooters are not looking for a fight, they are looking for victims to kill.

Politicians get so wrapped up in the gun control issues, that a comprehensive response to the issue is lost.

It has been almost two months since the Sandy Hook shootings and not one thing has been done to better protect our kids.

When the next school shooting occurrs some fingers should be pointed at the elected officials for failing to act.

Politics are going to get more children killed.
We have a winner.

I notice the national news paid zero attention to the armed high school coach who protected two girls from attack in Detroit the other day. Also, the shooting in Atlanta the other day was ended by an armed guard. Again, no one reported that.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Double-aught_Z/28
Ok, so to take your logic, lets say I'm only allowed 10rds. Lets say I'm one of those people who aren't familiar with being under extreme stress. Now lets say 3 armed men break into my home and I have to engage them. I'm probably not going to get all 3 with just ten rounds. And being under stress, I may f-up the reload, which could me killed. I'd rather have my 30rd AR mags in that situation. And don't tell me my situation is far fetched; home invasions happen a lot. Way, way more than mass killings.

Now to offer another flaw in your reasoning. People who do these shootings usually plan and rehearse their actions. They practice and drill reloads. They also commit their crimes in gun free areas where they won't have any resistance and won't be acting under the same stress as the situation above. Look at the Virginia Tech shooting; many of his Glock mags were 10rd mags. Didn't matter. There was no armed resistance, so he had all the time in the world to reload. Also I don't know where you get the 6-14yr old bit. That is not the demographic committing these crimes for the most part.

If you look at the past gun shootings since 2010 most have been commited by students 16 yrs or younger. They get bullied and go home and bring there parents gun to school. Back in the early 2000's there was a shooting were a 6yrold 1st grader shot and killed another 1st grader in class.

England also has a ban on guns as well. How are they doing?

People dont follow the laws. This country has more shootings a year then the entire rest of the world combined. I think I saw a report that said there were 3 guns for every 1 person in the USA. Thats insane.

Colombine also had armed gaurds as well.

Canada has had 9 school shootings since 1902, Europe has had 20 since 1913.. Thats a entire continent.

USA has had 30 since 2010. Whats the difference?? We have the same TV, same Games.. Whats the difference?

and I was wrong. There have been 8 school shootings including the school bus one in the month of Jan 2013. There were 10 total last year in the USA..
Old 02-05-2013, 05:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Columbine had one security guard on the school property at the beginning of the incident, even without proper training he engaged the shooter but failed to score any hits. We are not talking about just putting a private security guard in the school, but trained officers in active shooter tactics, that can effectively deal with a situation of this magnitude.

If someone is on a one way mission to cause havoc, there is no guarantee that anything or anyone can stop them!

A sensible collective response is the only answer to this problem,
- Reasonable gun control laws
- Mental health issues
- Enforce the current laws
- Keep criminals in jails
- Increased physical security and site security at schools
- Education to parents.

I am sure I missed some other issues, but my point is made. It will take a combined effort to make a difference. We should not get so focused on one issue that we loose site of the final goal; Keeping our children safe!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:37 AM
11 Second Club

Umm, violent crime in England has skyrocketed since their gun ban. And most of these "school shootings" you are referring to are one on one type shootings, often gang related, not mass shootings. This has been going on for decades. The reason their are so many guns in this country is cause of the gun grabbers. Gun sales exploded four years ago. Again after Obummer was re-elected. Didn't take long in his second term to try what we all knew was coming. Same with Omalley. If they'd leave our rights alone and quit trying to take em away, people wouldn't be buying everything they can. I've been arond the gun stores here in Md the last three weeks or so ad t's crazy. Theirs nothing. I've never seen it like this.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Umm, violent crime in England has skyrocketed since their gun ban. And most of these "school shootings" you are referring to are one on one type shootings, often gang related, not mass shootings. This has been going on for decades. The reason their are so many guns in this country is cause of the gun grabbers. Gun sales exploded four years ago. Again after Obummer was re-elected. Didn't take long in his second term to try what we all knew was coming. Same with Omalley. If they'd leave our rights alone and quit trying to take em away, people wouldn't be buying everything they can. I've been arond the gun stores here in Md the last three weeks or so ad t's crazy. Theirs nothing. I've never seen it like this.
I think Guns are banned in China as well. There was a School stabbing in China were a guy stabbed 20 or so children. All of them survived and are alive and well. Violent crime will always be there its just that its worse with guns. I would rather face a person with a knife then a person with a gun. I would rather face a 14yr old student who brings a knife to school then a 14yr old student who brings a gun to school. Call me crazy.

I just think of the ending of the Last Samurai when all the Samurai's are charging up the hill against the US army with there swords and the army officer just says take aim, fire and they mow down the entire Samurai force with there guns. I wish there were no violence but since there isnt a chance for that I would rather face the lesser of the 2.

I am sure some of those shootings were gang but a lot of them were just kids getting bullied and just snapped. When I think gangs I think of inner city, Big cities. If you look at were those shootings happened its mostly in rural areas like kentucky, or washington state. Not that many in big time cities.

We know that the gang bangers dont follow gun laws but from the previous post on here we know that there are regular everyday people who elect not to follow the laws as well. What can the Gov do? Seems like everyone is agreeing that no one will follow the laws so what can the Gov do then if the people wont follow the gun laws?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Columbine had one security guard on the school property at the beginning of the incident, even without proper training he engaged the shooter but failed to score any hits. We are not talking about just putting a private security guard in the school, but trained officers in active shooter tactics, that can effectively deal with a situation of this magnitude.

If someone is on a one way mission to cause havoc, there is no guarantee that anything or anyone can stop them!

- Mental health issues
- Education to parents.

I am sure I missed some other issues, but my point is made. It will take a combined effort to make a difference. We should not get so focused on one issue that we loose site of the final goal; Keeping our children safe!

I hear you but having trained officers in schools cost money. There are over 150,000 schools in the US. Who will pay for these gaurds? I am cool if it comes from raising my taxes but should the people who do not have kids pay for it as well? A lot of the schools here in the Philly area have 2 shifts as well. School goes from 8am-6pm so you would need 2 shifts I think for the gaurds. I stood these types of watches in the Navy over in the middle east and we got relieved every 4 hrs so we were always fresh and ready. Maybe use the reserves or national gaurds for this. Make it a duty for them. We called it Temporary active duty. They could volunteer to stand watch at there hometown school for x amount of time and they get active duty pay for it. Maybe even use the recruiter force as well. Lots of days I go by the recruiter office and they arent doing anything. I wouldnt mind having a duty section that you stand watch at the local school once a week and you rotate every day with someone else. You could promote the military and be on gaurd as well.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

Guns are banned in Brazil but the gun violence there is 7 times worse for the whole country then the worst US city. Millions in China are also basically slaves. Yeah they're better off. Banning guns would just ensure only the criminals have them. Dumb idea. Also the lame stream media never talks about when firearms save lives, and they do. I don't want the Govt to do anything. They can't legislate people out of doing evil. Why don't they just make murder illegal. Ohh wait.... They could try just enforcing laws already on the books. They talk about universal background checks. Well, it's already illegal for a prohibited person to try and buy a firearm. They say background checks stopped thousands from purchasing. Were any of those prohibited people ever prosecuted? No. A minescule amount maybe.

Last edited by INMY01TA; 02-05-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1998silverbird
I hear you but having trained officers in schools cost money. There are over 150,000 schools in the US. Who will pay for these gaurds? I am cool if it comes from raising my taxes but should the people who do not have kids pay for it as well? A lot of the schools here in the Philly area have 2 shifts as well. School goes from 8am-6pm so you would need 2 shifts I think for the gaurds. I stood these types of watches in the Navy over in the middle east and we got relieved every 4 hrs so we were always fresh and ready. Maybe use the reserves or national gaurds for this. Make it a duty for them. We called it Temporary active duty. They could volunteer to stand watch at there hometown school for x amount of time and they get active duty pay for it. Maybe even use the recruiter force as well. Lots of days I go by the recruiter office and they arent doing anything. I wouldnt mind having a duty section that you stand watch at the local school once a week and you rotate every day with someone else. You could promote the military and be on gaurd as well.
You're cool with banning guns and raising taxes? Gotcha. I see what type were dealing with now.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

- Mental health issues
- Education to parents.

I agree 100%. There is no single answer to the issues at hand. I could ramble on for pages about this, but I will make it short so you read it.

Magazine capacities and weapon types may be contributing factors to the total number of persons killed in a single shooting, but doesn't mean they should be banned or outlawed.

What is the #1 deterrent for a mass shooting? Armed citizens. Specifically citizens with concealed firearms. Who are they? How many are in the room? I don't know, because their "armed" status is not obvious. Oh, unless you live in a city or state that has strict laws regarding concealed carry, owning pistols or gun free zones. Then the criminals know they're the only ones armed and will act as they please.

Be a Victor not a Victim.

Also, the person engaging in the act of the mass shooting, assuming they survive, should be tried as a terrorist and treated as an enemy of the state.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

You're cool with banning guns and raising taxes? Gotcha. I see what type were dealing with now.
I am cool with making the world safer for my kids. If that means I have to give up something or pay a little more then I will. I would do anything for my children.. How about you? I see what type of person you are as well!

If you dont change the input how do you exspect the output to change? If what the Gov is doing now is not working then why continue to do the same?

Its almost impossible to get a Concealed weapon permit here in NJ. You know how many school shootings we have had since 2000? 0.

Its crazy if you look at the statistics of homicides in the world by guns. Seems like all the countries who have bans on guns have very little gun homicides/ and other homicides in general. The ones with the most are the USA and a couple more and they allow guns. Why is that do you think?

Last edited by 1998silverbird; 02-05-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

I am cool with making the world safer for my kids. If that means I have to give up something or pay a little more then I will. I would do anything for my children.. How about you?
You must live in liberal lala land if you think more laws will deter crime. We already had an assault weapons ban, for 10 years, which included a 10 round mag capacity limit. According to the FBI's own statitstics, it had no measurable effect on violent crime. (Fact not opinion) This time it would be different how? End/thread.

Last edited by INMY01TA; 02-05-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its almost impossible to get a Concealed weapon permit here in NJ. You know how many school shootings we have had since 2000? 0.
Note: My subject was mass shootings. Also, do some research about persons defending themselves and others with concealed carried weapons. It's an everyday occurence, but it is never covered in the news media because it is counter to their agenda.

I have a concealed carry permit. I carry. How many times have I had to use it? 0, but something you should have learned in the Navy is that a gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably
never need one again.

Its crazy if you look at the statistics of homicides in the world by guns. Seems like all the countries who have bans on guns have very little gun homicides/ and other homicides in general. The ones with the most are the USA and a couple more and they allow guns. Why is that do you think?
It sounds like you need to make a sacrifice for your family and move to one of those "fantastic" countries who have bans on guns, instead of suggesting the removal of freedoms many have sacrificed their lives to protect.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's almost impossible to even own a gun in Chicago. You know how many people were murdered there in the year 2012? 532. That's FIVE HUNDRED and THIRTY-TWO.

In Alaska, where anyone can carry a gun, no permit needed(and many people do carry); there were 29 murders in 2011. Only 16 of those involved a firearm.

The US owes China over $1 trillion. They outnumber our military by over 1.5 million men. They call for our gov't to disarm us every chance they get. You know what keeps them at bay? The approximately 140 million US gun owners.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 AM
TECH Regular

It's almost impossible to even own a gun in Chicago. You know how many people were murdered there in the year 2012? 532. That's FIVE HUNDRED and THIRTY-TWO.

In Alaska, where anyone can carry a gun, no permit needed(and many people do carry); there were 29 murders in 2011. Only 16 of those involved a firearm.

The US owes China over $1 trillion. They outnumber our military by over 1.5 million men. They call for our gov't to disarm us every chance they get. You know what keeps them at bay? The approximately 140 million US gun owners.
your comparing a city with a metro area of 10 million to a state that has a population of what? 500,000? Your also comparing a city with that many people living in such a small area to the largest state in the country with only 500,000 people living in it!
there were also 324 murders in Philadelphia in 2012 which has a population of 6.5 million in its Metro. You can get a gun in PA and get a permit to carry, I think its one of the Leaniest sates to get a gun in.

You can call me whatever you guys want to. I served my nation for 10 yrs in the Navy. I was in the middle east standing watch over there, checking vehicals for bombs and what not. I was on Aircraft carriers who F14's/F18's were dropping bombs and killing 1000's. I fixed those planes to get them off the deck in time so they could provide ground support to our Marines who called in a airstrick. I was on the Enterprise during 911 and we droped the 1st bombs on the war on terror. From 2000-2004 I was either deployed on a carrier or over in the middle east somewere.

I wasnt over there protecting my right to bear arms, I was over there protecting our right to live! Protecting the kids in school back in america. You can say what you want but I know every day from turning on the news that there were anti war protests and anti military protests from all cities in the US. I know a lot of us started to doubt why we were over there if the people back home dont want us there and are protesting against us? I didnt see no Pro war protests or what not even when I was back in the states between deployments! Fact is the cities were our military bases are hate the military. The police in those cities hate us. We didnt have a choice as our boss is the President. I had no problem with being over there as I voted for Bush for each of his terms ( I also voted for Romney and Mccain).

People came to this country not to bear arms but to practice there religion and to have a better opertunity to live. You think thats still the reason now?

The right to bear arms is way down on my list of whats important. Our right to live is more important, giving thanks to those who have served in wars to protect that right is more important. I am not going to thank a Marine for protecting my right to bear arms, I am going thank him/her for protecting my right to live. I thank all military for that ( unless they just got out of boot camp) because I know how it is to come home with the country not behind your cause for being there. Worried more about going from 15 rounds to 10 rounds then really worrying about what truly is important in life.

I am the last one that wants to give up my right to bear arms but I have no problem giving up my 15 round mags for 10 rounders. Maybe I will look into gun safty better if they start being more strict. Maybe other people will too so that its not so easy for these kids to get a hold of there parents guns to take to school. Maybe if they were locked away or if the mags were in one place and the gun in another it would be harder for a kid too get a hold of it? Maybe we will start to realize that if we dont want to loose our right we need to do a better job about gun safty?

and the thing thats keeping China out of here is the Pacific ocean. They might outnumber us but they still have to get over here. Our military is smaller but I bet its more powerfull especially the Naval Forces. Our currant fleet plus all the ships we have in moth ***** just in case we need them again! I know here in the Philly shipyard there are houndreds of ships that are in standby in case we need them as well!

Last edited by 1998silverbird; 02-06-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

It is very easy to get a concealed weapon permit in NH. You know how many school shootings we have had since 2000? 0. So, what is your point? America has always had guns. We do not have a gun problem, we have a mental health problem. We can't keep blaming guns.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got into yesterday with my boy about the gun laws they are both proposing and implementing. I told him I understand that he has kids...same here, but the gun laws make no sense. They are more akin to appeasing the mob mentality temporarily versus a solid solution...like mental health reform. If a bunch of nobodys, want to be somebodys by shooting kids in the face, over-regulating law abiding Americans, doesn't do **** for the cause. If you have crimminal intent, then you probably have crimminal means. Clearly the laws don't apply to you. If you have mental issues, then address that, not limiting guns to good Americans. If a scum-bag wants to shoot kids and you limit the size of the magazines to 7, then that simply means, he will build his own bandalero, hang it with the tiny magazines, stuff it with hollow points, and get to blasting little Jimmy, Jane and Shaquwanda to pieces. Last time I checked, switching magazines, wasn't a time consuming process, and a jam can be handled by applying SPORTS. Before you know it, these fools will be making home made grenades, strapping it to themselves and wiping out entire class rooms. What then, ban bleach, ban ammonia, ban ball bearings?!? Word? Proper grip, thumb on clip, sneak a peak, twist-pull, pin. Gre.... You know the rest
Old 02-06-2013, 05:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by brians91formula
It is very easy to get a concealed weapon permit in NH. You know how many school shootings we have had since 2000? 0. So, what is your point? America has always had guns. We do not have a gun problem, we have a mental health problem. We can't keep blaming guns.

Thats right. This country has no Gun problem. Your absolutly right...

Originally Posted by kainedogg
I got into yesterday with my boy about the gun laws they are both proposing and implementing. I told him I understand that he has kids...same here, but the gun laws make no sense. They are more akin to appeasing the mob mentality temporarily versus a solid solution...like mental health reform. If a bunch of nobodys, want to be somebodys by shooting kids in the face, over-regulating law abiding Americans, doesn't do **** for the cause. If you have crimminal intent, then you probably have crimminal means. Clearly the laws don't apply to you. If you have mental issues, then address that, not limiting guns to good Americans. If a scum-bag wants to shoot kids and you limit the size of the magazines to 7, then that simply means, he will build his own bandalero, hang it with the tiny magazines, stuff it with hollow points, and get to blasting little Jimmy, Jane and Shaquwanda to pieces. Last time I checked, switching magazines, wasn't a time consuming process, and a jam can be handled by applying SPORTS. Before you know it, these fools will be making home made grenades, strapping it to themselves and wiping out entire class rooms. What then, ban bleach, ban ammonia, ban ball bearings?!? Word? Proper grip, thumb on clip, sneak a peak, twist-pull, pin. Gre.... You know the rest
and of all the countries that banned guns how many school bombings do they have? Just saying. Why are there so many school shootings in the USA compared with the rest of the world? Why are there so many gun related murders here in the USA compared to the rest of the world? Any answers?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

and of all the countries that banned guns how many school bombings do they have? Just saying. Why are there so many school shootings in the USA compared with the rest of the world? Why are there so many gun related murders here in the USA compared to the rest of the world? Any answers?
all of your answers are illogical.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

3000+ in attendance today, incredible turnout (for those that care about their rights) This definaetely sent a message. First time ever they had to close the doors to the building due to capacity. Didn't see 98 Silverbird there (or anyone for that matter) to express their support. Lol.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=105181
Old 02-06-2013, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

3000+ in attendance today, incredible turnout (for those that care about their rights) This definaetely sent a message. First time ever they had to close the doors to the building due to capacity. Didn't see 98 Silverbird there (or anyone for that matter) to express their support. Lol.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=105181
I was there today, all day. We packed the place. It was worthy of the word epic. All the aides, pages, and lobbyists I talked to said they've never a seen a turnout even remotely close to this size before for any issue.

(For you MDS fellas, I go by just Z/28 over there)

Quick Reply: O`Mally`s Proposed Gun Laws