Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Dont have a title in Mass no what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dont have a title in Mass no what?

My father is nearing completion of his 68 firebird and went to register the car today and got a big FU from the RMV. He has a Bill of Sale and thats it. It doesnt look like Mass has a application for lost title anymore. He called the main RMV hub and they were useless. I've heard of companies out of state registering your vehicle and sending you the out of state title. What should we do, im out of options!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Might be able to register it in RI, then sell it back to a mass resident with the previous reg. Not sure about Rhode Island and their title laws, but can check with a friend tomorrow for you.

Last I knew the rmv still does title searches. Try this link https://secure.rmv.state.ma.us/TitleLookup/intro.aspx

Thought it was just a bill of sale and last registration for vehicles bought before 1990. Any way to find the previous owner?

Last edited by BigMac76; 03-25-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've heard of places in Georgia that can supply a title off a bill of sale. Hemmings Motors use to have ads for some of these services.

Good Luck
Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when I was working for a boat dealer in Mass if someone didnt have a title in their name to be able to transfer it typically for their trailer we would get them to register it in a non title state ( usually by "selling it" to a friend that lived in non title state) which for that old of a car Maine & NH off the top of my head have no title just a bill of sale.

Then having the previous reg from a non title state and a bill of sale selling the vehicle to the mass owner mass would produce a title based on the last state being non title

sell it to a buddy in a non title state then he sells it back to you..

First though research the laws online you may have just walked up to a miserable employee at dmv and could go back armed with knowledge and walk up to a different person and breeze through....
Old 03-22-2013, 06:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by murphinator
when I was working for a boat dealer in Mass if someone didnt have a title in their name to be able to transfer it typically for their trailer we would get them to register it in a non title state ( usually by "selling it" to a friend that lived in non title state) which for that old of a car Maine & NH off the top of my head have no title just a bill of sale.

Then having the previous reg from a non title state and a bill of sale selling the vehicle to the mass owner mass would produce a title based on the last state being non title

sell it to a buddy in a non title state then he sells it back to you..

First though research the laws online you may have just walked up to a miserable employee at dmv and could go back armed with knowledge and walk up to a different person and breeze through....
RI is also a non-title state on vehicles over 10 years old. I have a guy here at the shop who did this with a car he recieved for free with no title. Let me ask him what he had to do to get it registered
Old 03-22-2013, 07:47 AM
Teching In

I found out how he did it. He did exactly how Murph explained it above. Had a friend in RI register it, then wrote a bill of sale to him and gave him the Ri registration. Also to do that you may have to do a title search with the VIN to get the previous owners info.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Ask your insurance company about a "Bonded title" ive done it before in situatuations where i knew 100% the original no longer existed . Not sure if they do it in mass but there pros and cons anyways. Look into it. Itll get you registered atleast.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 04qsgtoMA
I found out how he did it. He did exactly how Murph explained it above. Had a friend in RI register it, then wrote a bill of sale to him and gave him the Ri registration. Also to do that you may have to do a title search with the VIN to get the previous owners info.
they cant all be straight forward like the z I bought from you lol , we kept that one on the road this winter as a back up - good car thanks again !
Old 03-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by murphinator
they cant all be straight forward like the z I bought from you lol , we kept that one on the road this winter as a back up - good car thanks again !
Nice! Glad it has worked out for you.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:33 AM
TECH Regular

We know who the past 3 owners are but do not have a previous registration. If there was one in the glove box the mice probably ate it lol. The last 2 owners we personally know very well, and were actually brothers. both of them never registered it knowing it needed work and were gona get to it some day. The owner before them is long gone. We both know people in other states so that shouldn't be a problem, may resort to that. I have a guy that helped me out with other rmv issues I had, not saying what lol. He ran the vin and said it was clear and not been titled, what ever that means. He told me to wait til wed and call him if I hadnt heard from him. He owns a salvage yard so im guessing he knows all the loop holes. Appreciate the input guys ill let you know how we make out.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dkota1968
I have a guy that helped me out with other rmv issues I had, not saying what lol. He ran the vin and said it was clear and not been titled, what ever that means. He told me to wait til wed and call him if I hadnt heard from him. He owns a salvage yard so im guessing he knows all the loop holes.
a junkyard owner ,tow company , mechanic etc... can say it was an abandoned vehicle and apply for title

Quick Reply: Dont have a title in Mass no what?