Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Some people shouldn't own dogs!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Some people shouldn't own dogs!

Venting and seeing if anyone has dealt with this before.

On Friday, some jackass puts a note in my mailbox stating my dogs attacked his and the dog is in surgery.

I call the guy and he tells me he walked his 15lbs dog onto my front yard where my two Rottweilers (male 157lbs, and female 122lbs) are laying on the front porch. I have an electric fence for the dogs and the have never once left my yard. He says that the smaller one bit his dogs front leg cause lots of damage that cost $2,500 that he wants me to pay.

I told him I would think about it and contact my home owners since the dogs are reported to them. Yesterday I get pictures of the dogs stitches and I get the bills from the vet in my mailbox. So I call him again and state that I have no idea when and where this took place on Friday, the dog could have been hit by a car for all I know, and I am not paying. At that he tells me he's calling the cops and animal control and pushing to have my dogs put down. It feels like blackmail to me!

What would you do?!?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

And yes, I am the same guy that was asking about knee surgery in dogs and just got done paying over $5,000 in vet bills!!!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

WTF was he doing on your front yard? You already got vet bills?! WTF?! Hes stupid for being on your front yard...
Old 05-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

He said, "I was letting my dog walk up to play with your dogs." Lets say that this did infact actually happen, and my dog did hurt his dog, I would think he'd feel like a jackass for getting his dog hurt, and putting the dog in that position! It is CRAZY to me that this guy thinks I should pay because he is STUPID!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

I hate this ****.... A neighbor down the road has a labradoodle, she walks the thing right up to the properly line, her dog is going ape ****, my guy just stands in the garage or on the porch watching.

Once I was down at my mail box when this all was going down, and she said "your dog listens so well, you should let him beat my dog up so he will start listening....."

I just gave her that look like RUFUCKEN SERIUS??? I said "no that wouldn't be a good idea, you should work with your dog to control him better"

I also have a electric fence installed and he knows where the boundary is but listens very well and generally just likes to watch ppl walk by unless I am down talking to someone, then he has to investigate. But I am still nervous she decides to come over one day when I am doing something in the barn or garage and can't see what is going on.

Agree, some ppl, shouldn't have dogs.

My Diesel (183lbs) with my wife to show how big he is.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

Awesome dog!

It is crazy to me that I will have to go to court over this when my dogs were on their property. My female has marks on her snout like this dog possibly bit her... Who knows what happened, but in any case it should have NEVER even been an option if he keeps his dog on the street.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:13 AM
TECH Regular

Marks could be from digging in the dirt or rough housing with your male. I know how tough these guys are. Diesel has been kicked a few times by our horses and just shrugs it off.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

Yup, could be from anything... Just sucks that no one saw any of this except this guy. These dogs get a bad name, when in reality they are great family dogs.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO As long as you have proof your dogs have the electric fence and never go out side the boundaries, it should be the dog owners fault for allowing the dog on YOUR property. I would threaten him with trespassing as a counter IF he tries to take you to court. LOL

I also think people are so dumb some times. Some guy tried to get me to pay for hitting his dog while on my way to school. Only problem was that in MA there's a leash law!! Clearly the dog ran into the road where I hit him!! Stupid owners suck!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I wouldnt have even gave him any info the first time. I would have told him he needs to take a class on private property rights.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would tell him to **** off... He was on YOUR property. IF it did happen its the dogs instinct to protect his property.

Here is my dog. Diesels brother from the second litter actually.

Zeus is 13 months and around 130lbs right now.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Can someone point me to the thread that tells you how to post pics. I want to join the pic party!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

As long as you have beware of dog signs on your property your not at fault, but with no signs there's a good chance your gonna get boned. Personally I'd deny everything and say my dogs were inside that day and the dudes talking out of his ***.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

[img] [/img]

put the picture html location between those two tags and it will post up pic
Old 05-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

chevrunner - I actually gave a call to my friend who's an attorney and he said we could put up a "curb your dog" sign, I've never seen one before, but advised not to put up Beware of dog sign because in court it is a form of admitting guilt.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

id find out if the dog was on a leash ...and why didnt he knock on the door when this happened...i cant imagine you not being home and letting your dogs stay outside. why didnt he call the police when it happened to make a report?? just way too many things not adding up and if he tries to get legal on you than your lawyer would have a field day with this. pretty much boils down to what he can proove and it doesnt sound like he can proove much so i wouldnt worry.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Not trying to be a dick, but with dogs that big you need a real fence.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

umm, If I was walking my bull dog down the street and saw 2 dogs on a porch I would not just walk my dog up there. If the owner was there I would ask if my dog could see there's. If no owner- I'd keep walking.

Dumb *** clown.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

The most important rule of dog ownership to me is never putting your dog in a position to fail. It seems from the story like he let his dog into a situation that had the possibility to end badly but also with a rottie I would never trust an electric fence as a means of confinement. My boy "Chevy" is 191lb and I would never trust an electric fence as a deterrent. It sounds like your dog wasn't at fault from the story provided but if there was an actual fence or at least supervision while outside this probably could have been avoided. I hope it works out well for you, the breed tends to get a bad rap
Old 05-01-2013, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

OP tell him to pound sand. the real question here is why the **** would the dude with a 15 lb dog have his dog go near your 2 rotties.......dumbass logic.

When I walked both of my boxers (about 75-80 lbs, 1 passed) I make sure I went away from peoples houses who had dogs not because of my dogs but cuz you never know what other peoples dogs will do. I dont care of theres a poodle i wont let my dog near it so theres no potential issue.

I also have a very long driveway with an electric fence at the houseline about 100 ft off the street and my dog knows to never go past it and people dont go near where he sits.

BTW c5kid and fran, your rotties are great looking dogs, that might be my next dog or possibly a doberman.

Quick Reply: Some people shouldn't own dogs!