Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Residents look to move or cancel Cruisin events in OCMD

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 02:09 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Residents look to move or cancel Cruisin events in OCMD

http://mdcoastdispatch.com/2014/05/2...-review-event/

“Stand up for the people who live here. No group event should impact the town at the expense of the people who call it home,” Mancini said. “If the cruisers want to come to Ocean City and obey our laws, we should welcome them … in March or April.”
“Cruiser weekend has done a really good job in the past 24 years and has been a really successful event. A lot of people that come for the event are really here to show off their pride in their vehicles but unfortunately there are people that come who don’t necessarily have those intentions,” Waters said. “While they have been around for a long time, sometimes it might be time to make a change and what has worked in past years might not be working anymore. I would assume before next year’s event or before the fall event, there is going to be a conversation with the city manager and the Mayor and Council to determine how we are not going to run into those same problems, and how we are going to make changes to improve the quality of the event and the quality of Ocean City for our residents and our visitors.”

But on the side of reason,

“May weekends, aside from Cruisin’ and Memorial Day, are not particularly strong from a business standpoint. Losing Cruisin’ would be disastrous to the business community. It’s as strong as Memorial Day weekend. Our season is short enough already and losing one of the prime weekends would be painful. Any event can be refined and improved and looking into how we can improve it for residents, participants and businesses is certainly a worthy effort,” Harrison said. “We are talking about killing a golden goose so we have to be really careful there.”
"The big trucks and the mustangs come on that weekend and they are not part of Cruisin’. "
^banning of mustangs and Diesels.... LMAO
Old 05-22-2014, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The new age liberal nanny state coming to a town near you!
They are exaggerating by a long shot to get this shut down.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:51 PM

Im saying. you live in a RESORT town not a RETIREMENT community. Get over it.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:59 PM

The trash thing I understand more than anything else. Everywhere I went people had dumped **** everywhere.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

What they need to do is setup a street to be blocked off and make a safe area for people to be able to watch some burnouts. And even set something up just outside of town for some kind of short street races. That would help keep people from doing it on the main roads. But at the same time, the pedestrians/scooters/bicyclists aren't exactly following the rules either. Ive seen too many times people running/riding through and across the middle of the streets and other stupid crap.

It is called OC cruising after all, not OC drag racing or OC burnout contest. But you know how it goes, a stupid few ruin a good thing for EVERYONE usually.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cant understand how people can act like this. how hard is it to carry a plastic bag in your car and put your trash in there....or better yet, walk 10 feet to a ****** trash can. perfect example in that picture...trash on the floor within 2 feet of the can. unfortunetly its **** like that (and all the wrecked cars ofcourse) that will be the demise of this great event.
i hope they figure something out. id hate for any 1 of these 2 things to happen..1) cancel the event 2) police it in such a way that it would make it impossible for most of us to attend the event.
if it turns into the Crap cruise weekend that is Wildwood than that would be desasterous.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by black00chev
What they need to do is setup a street to be blocked off and make a safe area for people to be able to watch some burnouts. And even set something up just outside of town for some kind of short street races. That would help keep people from doing it on the main roads. But at the same time, the pedestrians/scooters/bicyclists aren't exactly following the rules either. Ive seen too many times people running/riding through and across the middle of the streets and other stupid crap.

It is called OC cruising after all, not OC drag racing or OC burnout contest. But you know how it goes, a stupid few ruin a good thing for EVERYONE usually.

Working on that. The idea of taking the burnouts OFF the streets and putting it into a sponsored controlled environment just makes sense.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie
Working on that. The idea of taking the burnouts OFF the streets and putting it into a sponsored controlled environment just makes sense.
doesnt matter if you add that to the event.(which would be cool to watch IMO)but it wont prevent people from doin it on the street. just like racing. its just the rush of doin it when youre not supposed to be doin it. the only way to stop it is to give stiffer fines/penalties. to do that though its alot more work than just canceling the event...lol.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:07 PM
Teching In

I've been saying that for years. I talked to a few people that went and every one of them complained about the same thing, diesel trucks, mustangs, imports, and cops. The diesel truck guys have just gone overboard with the smoke blowing and racing. I have a diesel myself and its people like that who give me a bad name. I think mustang people were named just because there is so many of them. The imports drive around like they have something to prove, but all the end up doing is usually making themselves look stupid. The cops have gotten worse and worse over the past 3 years it seems like. The article says the ocean city cops are "overzealous." Well I'm pretty sure that there are more than just OC cops there. And what really burns me up is the fact that you can be ticketed for no seatbelt but 10 people can be in the back of a diesel truck and nothing is said to them.

The OC citizens are complaining about illegally parked trailers and noise violations...well when was the last time you saw a quiet hot rod? You have invited that atmosphere into your town, so don't complain they are loud or have to be trailered there. Also complaining about the traffic jams is a little ridiculous. When you cram that many people into one area there is bound to be congestion. It is called a cruise so that means the cars are going to go out and cruise not sit in a parking lot for 3 days. It brings in an insane amount of business for them on a weekend that probably would dead since schools are still in session which keeps families from going on vacation.

I know I have ranted enough and I could have laid this post out a little better, but it has been a hot topic among my group of friends lately. I love going down and sadly I could only go down on Friday this year and then have to trailer my car home. I sort of like the fall show better because there seems to be less people. End rant/
Old 05-22-2014, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Its one of the biggest events O.C. has to offer in that time frame. (Good luck with that) Maybe all of the year.........Brings lots of money to the city. Won't happen.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

OC Local ' s don't have a leg to stand on. All the reasons already mentioned. They probably have a better chance of Ocean City running them out of town over the event.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:26 AM
11 Second Club

i dont understand what the big deal is about them having alot of cops around. if you're not doin anything wrong, you shouldnt worry about them. i dont see them going out of their way to pull people over for dumb **** like tint/wheelie bars/ etc. A heavy police presence is required for the amount of people that attend the event. you're responsible for your own actions...if you feel the need to do burnouts and race on public streets, be prepared to pay up if you get caught. we all know the risks.

im not an innocent party here...i play when i feel it is right but im not gonna cry about getting pulled over either. it is what it is.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:02 AM

I had more than one friend pulled over on BS tickets that were straight lies.

One friend got pulled over, officer said no front tag. He showed them it was actually attached to the front bumper but they didnt see it(offset to one side).

Cop writes ticket for tag light out on the back. He then showed them both were functional. Still handed him a ticket.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:03 AM

And my wifes response to the article.

Since the site won't let me post a comment, I'll vent here (PS we should go to Rehoboth Beach, DE or Virginia Beach, VA or find another event like one held in Crisfield, MD - anyone know of any?):

Dear Ocean City Resident Gabriel Mancini - I understand you live in a resort area and are unhappy. I may be interested in purchasing your home if you decide to put it on the market. This event is for families and friends with a passion for cars. Who are you to judge anyone or think you own city you live in? Do not stereotype car lovers that support your hometown as drunk law breaking trash throwing unacceptable people and I will do my best to believe you are not a selfish naive negative nasty person. You really think this event is going to get cancelled or change the dates to a colder month so less money can be made? More likely us law breakers may just ban your welcoming town and give a more appreciative area a turn to host this event and make our hard earn money. No worries, you can in turn complain about your property taxes being raised from lack of visitor revenue and lack of available businesses due to forced closures.

Dear OCPD - You may say safety is your number one priority (its everyone's priority by the way), but OCPD was extreme unprofessional bullies that took advantage of the good people who supported your town. I observed police harassment in 2013, but nothing like 2014 as the entire event on each block pulling cars over with no laws broken for financial gain. It appeared as corruption to steal "legally". It wouldn't have anything to do with balancing the county's budget would it? Last year with a $2.4 million budget shortfall to 2015 with just under $100,000. Had to pay for the boardwalk somehow...

Thanks Ocean City for the warm welcome, appreciation, and years of loyalty!

County Closes In On Balanced Budget With Reductions
"SNOW HILL -- Worcester County’s fiscal year 2015 budget is within a stone’s throw of becoming balanced this week and includes a salary raise for a..."

http://mdcoastdispatch.com/2014/05/2...th-reductions/
God I love her.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:19 AM
11 Second Club

I had more than one friend pulled over on BS tickets that were straight lies.

One friend got pulled over, officer said no front tag. He showed them it was actually attached to the front bumper but they didnt see it(offset to one side).

Cop writes ticket for tag light out on the back. He then showed them both were functional. Still handed him a ticket.
im in no way trying to defend the OCPD. i know there are some douche cops that get a hard on giving us tickets just to prove a point. but im led to believe that they wont bother you unless you do something wrong or try to show them up. and thats just from my personal experiance of making this trip (sometimes twice a year) for 8 years now.

some of the rediculous comments on facebook though are just crazy. complaining about them being on every corner etc. well, if they know where people tend to act a little crazy (19th street for instance) than why wouldnt they just have someone sitting there to prevent such things. naturally they're gonna do that...it should come as no suprise to people...lol.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

And my wifes response to the article.

God I love her.
very nice!
Old 05-23-2014, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by TNTramair
im in no way trying to defend the OCPD. i know there are some douche cops that get a hard on giving us tickets just to prove a point. but im led to believe that they wont bother you unless you do something wrong or try to show them up. and thats just from my personal experiance of making this trip (sometimes twice a year) for 8 years now.

some of the rediculous comments on facebook though are just crazy. complaining about them being on every corner etc. well, if they know where people tend to act a little crazy (19th street for instance) than why wouldnt they just have someone sitting there to prevent such things. naturally they're gonna do that...it should come as no suprise to people...lol.
It was jsut odd. In years past they would be on side streets waiting for something to happen up until midnight then they would close it down.

This year they were out patrolling a LOT more. Trying to be sneaky, hiding a few lengths back from lights etc. And this was all day everyday.

Also I personally witnessed more than one cop on MANY occasions, use their lights just to go through an intersection and turn them back off. No call, no reason other than to break a law that was inconveniencing them personally. And in more than one of those cases, while cars with green lights were in the intersection or pedestrians. So their BS about safety is just that, a big steaming pile.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This has happened with the bike weeks we already have had. In the past bike week used to bring close to 20mil in a week but since the older people who live here complained and they started cracking down the profit for the city has basically been cut in half and has been getting smaller. And I have been hearing rumors from around that during mustang week there will be just as many cops if not more as there is for bike weeks.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Why don't they fine the people littering or don't they have that down there? You'd think that would be easy cash instead of harassing people and giving out bs tickets.

Just thinking out loud.

I wouldn't doubt in a few years it will move and then the same people that bitch will bitch why taxes are going up or why everything is closing up
Old 05-23-2014, 02:39 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cops were ALWAYS sneaky in OCMD. They have to be. You have to be an idiot to want to race or burnout in front of a cop, so they try to blend into traffic or whatever the case may be. I'm sure they have quotas to reach, too. Just as it's fun for us to have a little fun, think about what their job is like and what they are there to do. I'm sure they have their own fun looking for trouble at times. I know I would.

You can bitch about cops all you want, but at the end of the day, they are there for a reason. I got pulled over for a few things and paid the fines and lived another day. It is part of going and getting carried away. They take advantage of some people, but you may not know the whole stories of every case. A friend of mine was pulled over a year or two ago for a blown tail light and rightfully so. I don't consider that a BS ticket (well, maybe compared to mine lol).

CTSVBiggie - I agree with you wife, for sure. The grad student in me just wishes she showed proof/cited of those figures lol. Regardless, well written

Personally, I'd love to see the cops crack down on people who litter, more. OCMD is a nice place and it sucks to see pictures of garbage everywhere. This is why I'd MUCH rather stay in a place outside of the city.

Quick Reply: Residents look to move or cancel Cruisin events in OCMD