Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Northern MD - Need emissions reactivated in PCM

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 06:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Northern MD - Need emissions reactivated in PCM

I'm restoring emissions functionality to my TA that I just bought. Rear o2, AIR, and EGR are all disabled through the computer. Can anyone recommend the best place or method to do this?
Old 11-30-2016, 11:06 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you need them reactivated?
Old 11-30-2016, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

MD emissions testing. I am awaiting a response from Frost but I'm hoping they can easily restore all of that and then apply the mail tune.

Last edited by cyberd0rk; 11-30-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:43 PM
Banned

They dont need to be activated for MD emissions... Just the readiness codes need to be ready.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

When these codes are "turned off" in the computer, are they disabled or spoofed to be working correctly? I haven't yet taken the car to emissions since I'm fixing a list of items for inspection. Luckily inspections(not emissions center) only do a visual that the car contains the necessary emissions equipment, doesn't test them. Unfortunately for me I'm missing everything so first I need to acquire the equipment and then connect them, then finally go to emissions to see what the result is. I did get a response from Frost and he can turn on all of the emissions equipment (I honestly don't care if I keep the equipment active, I have emissions friendly headers to keep it all active), and at the same time I'll be paying to have a mail in tune so it's kind of a two birds one stone deal for me.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the codes are clear (i.e no CEL) you should be able to pass without any issues unless the specific tech you get is a real stickler on the visual inspection.

If you don't have emissions stuff on the car though, changing the tune to enable the codes will then cause the CEL and you to fail emissions so you'd need to replace the exhaust with stock stuff too most likely or at least good high flow cats.

If you've already managed to somehow pass the inspection you should be fine on the emissions test.

I only had to inspect my F-body once but I passed at Westminster's location without issue...just a scowl from one of the techs because I think he knew I should have failed haha.

Most people try to hit emissions when it's most convenient for them (meaning not busy) but if they're busy the techs will try to rush to get people out faster so going when it's busy isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Side note, I'm pretty sure I still have the stock y-pipe with cats and other emissions stuff if you want it. Also have the stock torque converter out of it. The parts have 24,000 miles on them.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

The problem is I believe the previous owner had them programmed out.

PMing you about the emissions stuff

Last edited by cyberd0rk; 11-30-2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

As long as you don't have a code thrown i.e. check engine light you will pass. I dint have cats on my car anymore and I pass due to the codes being turned off
Old 12-10-2016, 08:29 AM
Teching In

I had all the emissions stuff tuned out of my car and it passes MD emissions test with 0 issues.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

I'll keep my fingers crossed. Luckily emissions late fees are only $15 every 4 weeks so I can eat that fee for a while if it takes some time to get everything straightened out. I put all the equipment on the car today so I can pass inspection. Emissions will follow within the next few weeks
Old 12-12-2016, 08:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cyberd0rk
I'll keep my fingers crossed. Luckily emissions late fees are only $15 every 4 weeks so I can eat that fee for a while if it takes some time to get everything straightened out. I put all the equipment on the car today so I can pass inspection. Emissions will follow within the next few weeks
Waste of time. That stuff is not needed. A proper tune is all u needed
Old 12-12-2016, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

It's need for inspection which is entirely different from emissions testing. The inspections station said they have to visually verify all of the equipment is on the car, but do not have to verify that it is operational. When I bought the car it had race headers, X pipe, and bullet mufflers with dumps. To get the car to pass inspections I had to buy new long tubes with emission ports for the EGR and AIR, buy and hook up all emissions equipment, buy a catted Y and add in rear o2 sensors, and finish it off with a catback that exited past the rear bumper. Luckily I found the emissions stuff completely together from a guy on craigslist who also sold me the catback so I saved a good bit of money. All in all it costed about 1000 in new exhaust and emissions parts. The seller knocked 1000 off his asking price so spending the money hasn't killed me.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

????
No air pump,no cats and full length headers. Went to Westminster and passed many times with all that stuff turned off via HP tuner. They just check for codes
Old 12-15-2016, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

That's good news for sure. I have my inspection scheduled for Monday so my headache will hopefully be over.

Quick Reply: Northern MD - Need emissions reactivated in PCM