Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 03:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The '05 GTO's will be doing 11's w/very few mods... WJ
Old 02-20-2005, 03:39 AM
TECH Junkie

The '05 GTO's will be doing 11's w/very few mods... headers, a mild converter, and a set of M/T Radial Drags....Bye, Bye Fords. Again. WJ
Old 02-20-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
The '05 GTO's will be doing 11's w/very few mods... headers, a mild converter, and a set of M/T Radial Drags....Bye, Bye Fords. Again. WJ

I don't think it will be quite that easy. I expect the A4s to run 13.1-13.2 on good conditions. Headers should get the cars into the high 12s, getting into the 11s may take a bit more then just a convertor and tires....
Old 02-20-2005, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are forums for Ford people. Remember the name of this site is LS1 Tech not 4.6 modular. I respect everybody's love for the automobile and I don't have a problem with people voicing their opinion about the vehicles they prefer. It's just that lately there is more Ford talk than GM talk. I feel that this takes away from the people who signed up on LS1Tech to talk about GM based motors and automobiles. However, if diversity is what people want...maybe a Ford forum added to this site is what is necessary. I'm not going to disagree and say that Ford doesn't seem to have the edge right now....but the difference between an LS1 Tech enthusiast and people that just want to start problems is that GM people love GM regardless to whether they are doing well or doing not so well. I am a GM man win or lose and I'm sure a lot of people agree with me. Any rivalry that is American made is part of a legend and long history as far as I'm concerned....but let's face it...I'm here to talk about LS1's and not 4.6's and 5.4's. I'm sure Ford owners are all happy with their Fords. There are plenty of Ford sites out there and I'm sure they all have a great time communicating but here we're Chevy people. I'm sure if anyone spoke Chevy in a Ford site...they'd be receiving the same response. I'm not trying to be ignorant. To me, a passion for automobiles is what I'm about. There's just a right time and place for all types of discussions. This time, this place --- especially now that GM needs support from their loyal customers--- is when us loyal GM enthusiasts should be supporting GM.

Boris

PS - Mr. B, the 2005 GTO is a 400 hp motor. I wouldn't think they're stumbling too much....considering the price is way more attractive than a Cobra.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

A Cobra and '05 GTO are very different animals. The Cobra is faster/quicker and will be much faster/quicker dollar for dollar and mod for mod. The GTO is a better daily driver IMO but most hard edged enthusiats would have to take the Cobra.

I love our GTO, don't get me wrong. But if the day comes that my wife does not want it as her daily driver, and I have the chance to get an '03/'04 Cobra I am going to do it.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

Get the cobra. The orange rocks, they are very very tough to find though.

Dont let people tell u the IRS cant be made to launch well, cause it can. I have no trouble with mine.

As fas as mach1's and blowers go(*easy* 11's yea ok buddy), try it and see how long the motor lasts. Those motors arent made to be boosted whatso-ever.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bob wait for the new supercharged mustang to come out if your getting a new stang

george
Old 02-20-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PWR TRP
Get the cobra. The orange rocks, they are very very tough to find though.

Dont let people tell u the IRS cant be made to launch well, cause it can. I have no trouble with mine.

As fas as mach1's and blowers go(*easy* 11's yea ok buddy), try it and see how long the motor lasts. Those motors arent made to be boosted whatso-ever.

Exactly, especially the automatic Machs....

Guys are running 10s on the IRS, what more is needed?
Old 02-20-2005, 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002nhraformula
bob wait for the new supercharged mustang to come out if your getting a new stang

george
I've heard that the next SVT Mustang is going to be very hard to beat, but I can't find any info about it.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by B-MAN
There are forums for Ford people.
Boris
PS - Mr. B, the 2005 GTO is a 400 hp motor. I wouldn't think they're stumbling too much....considering the price is way more attractive than a Cobra.
I know about the Ford boards.. but I'm eliciting feedback from my friends here on the Eastern Forum, who I met while I had a LS1.

The GTO doesn't do much for me, because I like the Nostalgic thing with Muscle cars.. not rebadged cars from down under. It's more of a classic thing, than a "true-blue GM" thing.

The only car I would consider is the C6, and it has a big pricetag and two seats.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Cobra's are in the same price range as a new base C6.... Pretty much a no brainer on which one will hold their value better, perform better, get more attention driving down the highway...... WJ And BTW, from what I've seen at the track, all the quick Cobra's are TRAILERED in--not driven in...
Old 02-20-2005, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

And BTW, from what I've seen at the track, all the quick Cobra's are TRAILERED in--not driven in...
And what do I do when I have to pick up my kids.. trailer them?
Old 02-20-2005, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kenny H
Exactly, especially the automatic Machs....

Guys are running 10s on the IRS, what more is needed?
Yeah.......like the SVT cobra I watched wheel hop in front of me at LVD day and snapped his rear ,we all waited an extra half hour for him to get towed.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cobra's are in the same price range as a new base C6.... Pretty much a no brainer on which one will hold their value better, perform better, get more attention driving down the highway...... WJ And BTW, from what I've seen at the track, all the quick Cobra's are TRAILERED in--not driven in...

Are you kidding me? A Cobra undercuts a C6 by close to $10k. We would have to use '04 Cobra MSRP which is $35k and we'd all agree no one payed more then $33500 (mostly quite a bit less then that) after the initial swarm to buy these. The C6s will surely come down a bit in time, but for now the price gap is pretty big.

And the Cobra IS quicker/faster. A friend of mine went 12.6 with only his air siliencer removed on an August night. How many stock C6s are doing that in 0 DA?

The C6 is a better car in every single way, I agree there. But if MRB is looking for a fast street car with a bit of practicality, their is only one game in town.

IMO the '04 Z06 rocks the C6 anyways. A friend went 11.93 @ 118 MPH in his bone stock '04 Z06 which is over 1/2 second quicker then any stock C6 I have heard of. I'm sure with tuning advancements that gap will be shortened considerably but for now I'd take an '04 Z06 over a C6 as well....

Last edited by Kenny H; 02-20-2005 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
Yeah.......like the SVT cobra I watched wheel hop in front of me at LVD day and snapped his rear ,we all waited an extra half hour for him to get towed.

I'm not saying the IRS is indestructible but lets be realistic. Find me an M6 FBody that has went 10s on the stock 10 bolt at anything close to full weight? Pick up a recent MM&FF and look at the Cobras that have done it, its very possible.

Isn't it just a little hypocritical for an FBody owner to be talking about weak rears?

Besides, mind comparing the costs associated with going to a 12 bolt in an FBody vs an 8.8 in a Mustang?

Obviously if one were to make serious power a solid axle in a Cobra would be preferred, but its not mandatory where as ANY 10 second M6 Fbody can't even think about staying with a 10 bolt.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kenny H
MRB is looking for a fast street car with a bit of practicality, their is only one game in town. ...
Exactly..

It's actually sad to look on e-bay motors and see so many people bailing out from 01-02 Camaro's and Firebird's.. all with roughly 20k-30k on the clock and "Buy It Now" prices of 16 or 17k- with no bids.

The LS1 will wither away due to the supply drying up.. what a shame.

I'm watching a few auctions and might just get a 05 if I can't get something that I want.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.scarsdaleford.com/index.asp
http://www.qford.com/en_US/
Old 02-21-2005, 04:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bob,

If you can wait, I think the '05 will be something special. The only problem is it will probably come with a "special" price tag . I'm sure dealers will be marking the first ones up, counting on those suckers who want to be "first on the block." It's a tough decision and I wish you luck.

-Ken
Old 02-21-2005, 06:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Ken, FYI, there are C6's out there already, that are running consistent 11.60's with just a tune, longtubes, and tires. I believe there's a example that's out of the Cartek stable. Correct me if I'm wrong.... WJ
Old 02-21-2005, 06:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ken G
Bob,

If you can wait, I think the '05 will be something special. The only problem is it will probably come with a "special" price tag . I'm sure dealers will be marking the first ones up, counting on those suckers who want to be "first on the block." It's a tough decision and I wish you luck.

-Ken