Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

E-Town in HDTV

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default E-Town in HDTV

The upcoming Supernationals (in E-Town) will be broadcast in HDTV by ESPN2. Also, the Nascar Nextel Cup is in HDTV.

I have a regular 32" Sony TV and my question is:

Is there a converter or adaptor to allow a regular TV to decode HDTV?

Is it necessary to have a special TV?
Old 04-17-2005, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

You need a HD ready TV and you need to get the service for it. It's one of those thing that when you get one thing you find out you have to get something else. I have my service from COMCAST and it's great. I use to have the DISH but they suck for HDTV not many channels.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:07 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, you need a new tv to experience HDTV, but if you enjoy watching any kind of sports, its worth every penny.

Hockey, when they played it, was just phenominal in HDTV. Baseball is also great in HDTV.

As for TV's, the way to go is projection LCD. The picture is beautiful, and you can get sizes up to 67" for less than $5,000.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Yeah, you need a new tv to experience HDTV, but if you enjoy watching any kind of sports, its worth every penny.

Hockey, when they played it, was just phenominal in HDTV. Baseball is also great in HDTV.

As for TV's, the way to go is projection LCD. The picture is beautiful, and you can get sizes up to 67" for less than $5,000.
The Circuit City by me had Nascar in HDTV- WOW!!!!
Old 04-17-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Once you see almost anything in High def you wont go back. Mr. B if you limited to a 32 because of furniture those sizes are out there. Youre next choice will have to be a 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio. One of the advantages of HD is the ability to view widescreen as in the 16:9. Again, it's what will fit in what you have. The 4:3 is squareish, the 16:9 is rectangular. Technology changes fast so IMO HD ready is the way to go, you'll need to get a special converter box from cable co. There are up charges for HD but not too bad. Yo could go with a dish. You'll need a clear line of site to the SW. No trees or anything in the way. I had direct tv for awhile and moved so i lost my line of site. Miss it. They had the NFL pkg.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bob your WAY bigger problem is figuring out if your local cable company carries the CHANNEL in HD. Just because its BROADCAST in HD, doesnt mean you can get it. YES network for the first season ever is in HD. Problem is TW cable in NYC where I work(in a TV store mind you) and Cablevision where I live both DON NOT carry the YES network in HD. So even though the announcers may say "Brought to you in HDTV by Nextel", it dont mean you gonna see it. Oh yeah, if you got the bucks, you wanna HiDef plasma over anything else. Maybe a nice 65" for $20k. I have them ready for ya. If not get a Sony widescreen tube for HD. They are still better than LCDs and cost less. They are heavy though. Best Buy can hook ya up, stay away from CC.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bear
Bob your WAY bigger problem is figuring out if your local cable company carries the CHANNEL in HD. Just because its BROADCAST in HD, doesnt mean you can get it. YES network for the first season ever is in HD. Problem is TW cable in NYC where I work(in a TV store mind you) and Cablevision where I live both DON NOT carry the YES network in HD. So even though the announcers may say "Brought to you in HDTV by Nextel", it dont mean you gonna see it. Oh yeah, if you got the bucks, you wanna HiDef plasma over anything else. Maybe a nice 65" for $20k. I have them ready for ya. If not get a Sony widescreen tube for HD. They are still better than LCDs and cost less. They are heavy though. Best Buy can hook ya up, stay away from CC.
I have Cablevision in Rockland (IO) and I thought they have HD broadcasts?

The E-Town thing is on ESPN2 and Nascar is FOX.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Bob the Samsung 65" dlp is very nice for around 3000. I think Comcast 5 per month for hd, not bad.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bob Cablevision has SOME HD. No ESPN 2 or YES or TNT or Discovery Channel or INHD or HDNET and so on. I have Nascar on Fox on some TVs here at work so custys can see what it looks like. Its great. Voom was the way to go for HD, but its now out of business so thats out. Stick with IO they will get more.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:41 PM
12 Second Club

direct Tv has hdtv
Old 04-17-2005, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bear
Bob Cablevision has SOME HD. No ESPN 2 or YES or TNT or Discovery Channel or INHD or HDNET and so on. I have Nascar on Fox on some TVs here at work so custys can see what it looks like. Its great. Voom was the way to go for HD, but its now out of business so thats out. Stick with IO they will get more.
I see HDTV on the menu, but I thought all of tha above was HDTV.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Talking I Have A 62 In Hd Tv....

Originally Posted by Mr. B
I see HDTV on the menu, but I thought all of tha above was HDTV.
I HAVE A SPECAL HD BOX FROM COMCAST ;
THE PICTURE IS UNREAL LIKE 3DDDDDD, YO YOU CAN COME TO MY HOUSE;
IF YOUR IN THE AREA DUDE. AN WE CAN CKNHWK TUNE BY BLKNITE!!
AN WATCH ALL THE
RACESSSSSSSSSSSSSS....
Old 04-17-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Bob, I've got Cablevision up here too. They've got a decent selection of HD, maybe 15 channels. Assuming you've got IO, take a peak at the 700-series channels (you won't be able to recieve them, but you can at least view the station), that is where my HD channels are (701-750). They have the 4 major broadcast channels, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Bravo, ESPN, PBS, Sportschannel, MSG, INHD and some channel called Ultimate HD or something. No YES or ESPN 2 yet. I won't hold my breath on Cablevision getting YES in HD as it took them a friggin year to even carry YES, since Cablevision likes to screw every metro sports team they don't have a piece of - just ask Mets fans this year.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

my 44" looks so nice in hdtv
Old 04-17-2005, 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
Bob, I've got Cablevision up here too. They've got a decent selection of HD, maybe 15 channels. Assuming you've got IO, take a peak at the 700-series channels (you won't be able to recieve them, but you can at least view the station), that is where my HD channels are (701-750). They have the 4 major broadcast channels, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Bravo, ESPN, PBS, Sportschannel, MSG, INHD and some channel called Ultimate HD or something. No YES or ESPN 2 yet. I won't hold my breath on Cablevision getting YES in HD as it took them a friggin year to even carry YES, since Cablevision likes to screw every metro sports team they don't have a piece of - just ask Mets fans this year.
Thanks.