Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Mass laws=speeding, expired license?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 01:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mass laws=speeding, expired license?

So my license expired 6 days ago. I get pulled over for 85 in a town posted 55. He checks off "criminal" and writes in C90-Sec 15- Sub 10...License, operating while expired.
Tells me an expired license is an arresting offense.

That is offense 1.
then he checks speeding, 90/18, 85/55, radar AND estimated boxes checked. He was southbound - I was northbound and we met around a corner.
Last - he never wrote a court in the box for me to mail in to? Told me "don't send anything - you'll be notified"

I found Chapter 90, Sec 17 and 18 about speed limits. So the 90/18 refers to city posted speeds.
Chapter 90 Sec 15 is about farm equipment and other stuff?
Nowhere can I find that expired is criminal. Even the renewal application says 60 days late call some number before going to renew. I was 6 days expired!

What the heck? I can't mail it in for a hearing. If I get a court date in the mail - what am I looking at for punishment?
I've got a perfect record for around 4-5 years and few minor tickets before that.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:32 AM
TECH Junkie

you'll get a letter in the mail giving you a court date. Best thing to do is hire a lawyer and let him do all the work, It will be less stressful for you and you'll get away with just paying very small amount of court fines
Old 05-17-2005, 06:01 AM
TECH Resident

... and a huge fee to the lawyer!

Good luck.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not to sure what they are going to do about the expired license, I wonder if there is some type of grace period. Did you get a notification of it expiring before hand?

Ironically I got pulled over a few weeks ago doing (what he says was) 72 in a 40. Which is actually posted 50mph!, I already got my court date for the end of next month.

When I was stopped the ticket had both Estimated and Radar checked. I don't know what that means, A cop told me that it probably means he estimated you 1st and then clocked you. I don't think so though because like your situation we were driving towards each other, me uphill, him downhill, and he only had a few seconds to even gun me because I was halfway up the hill when his headlights were cresting.

When I find out what both estimated and radar means I'll let you know.

I was in my POS 93 jeep charokee with another person and a bunch of stuff in the back going uphill. I was unlikely going over 70...
Old 05-17-2005, 07:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go see a lawyer I got a criminal ticket and a lawyer will make or break the case for you. A decent lawyer will get you out of everything but the small speeding ticket but they cost ya
Old 05-17-2005, 11:01 AM
11 Second Club

Does anyone know how the points system works on speeding tickets? And how they equate that dollar wise?
Old 05-17-2005, 11:06 AM
8 second mod

My buddies license expired on a saturday, he was out sat night, got pulled over, and arrested, sat night, sunday, no court, didnt get out till monday!!!!
its not so good. lol
Old 05-17-2005, 11:16 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you remember all my court trouble? It was for the same thing, no license and racing (plus no insurance). I'm amazed he let you drive the car home, I had to wait over half a hour for a tow truck and the cop took my plates from my car too!

You dont need to mail it in because you cannot apeal this. It's not a civil offense where you can pay a fine to get it over with or appeal it. You HAVE to go before a judge so they'll mail you something.

They'll ask you how you plead, say innocent. Then your out for the day.

The next time you go you'll be arrainged and you have a chance to explain your story. Then your out for the day.

Then you'll show up for your hearing and you'll want to ask for a public lawyer. He'll prob get you off easily but you may need to leave and go back another day. All of these dates are like 2-5 weeks apart.

They are gonna keep your license until your hearing, it's now revoked. You need to pay some decent money in court fee's/fines, then you'll pay the lawyer fee.

Then you'll go to the RMV for your license and they'll tell you to go to a safety driver's class. That'll cost money then there is usally a BIG re-instatement fine to get your license back.

Oh yea, you'll prob be on probation for 6 months to 1 year. If your lucky they say if you dont get stopped within that time frame they'll wipe your record clean. If not....your insurance will cost ALOT more.

It's all about the money man.

Last edited by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO; 05-17-2005 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:19 AM
Humanitarian

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Does anyone know how the points system works on speeding tickets? And how they equate that dollar wise?
You can get up to 4 points for major offense's. Everyone's insurance rates are different but every point add's ALOT and it stays on your record for 6 years before they start to reduce themselves .... one point a year ONLY if you dont get tickets that year.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Humanitarian

I'm not to sure what they are going to do about the expired license, I wonder if there is some type of grace period. Did you get a notification of it expiring before hand?
The RMV mails out a few notices before taking your license away so when you go to court, unless they dont have the right address they usally dont listen to what you have to say.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:26 AM
8 second mod

i got nabed for racing, driving to endager, negligent operation, crimminal, i went to court, a guy took my story and asked how i pled, innocent, went to the court room, he said that, then i went into another room and talked to a magistate, he asked the story, lucky for us he was a car guy, and let us all off with a $100 court fee. no licese points, nothing.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
Do you remember all my court trouble? It was for the same thing, no license and racing (plus no insurance). I'm amazed he let you drive the car home, I had to wait over half a hour for a tow truck and the cop took my plates from my car too!
HE MADE MY PASENGER DRIVE AFTER SEEING HER VALID LICENSE

You dont need to mail it in because you cannot apeal this. It's not a civil offense where you can pay a fine to get it over with or appeal it. You HAVE to go before a judge so they'll mail you something.

They'll ask you how you plead, say innocent. Then your out for the day.

The next time you go you'll be arrainged and you have a chance to explain your story. Then your out for the day.

Then you'll show up for your hearing and you'll want to ask for a public lawyer. He'll prob get you off easily but you may need to leave and go back another day. All of these dates are like 2-5 weeks apart.

They are gonna keep your license until your hearing, it's now revoked. You need to pay some decent money in court fee's/fines, then you'll pay the lawyer fee. I HAVE MY LICENSE AND WILL GET MINE RENEWED - THAT'S WHAT HE SAID TO DO...
Then you'll go to the RMV for your license and they'll tell you to go to a safety driver's class. That'll cost money then there is usally a BIG re-instatement fine to get your license back.

Oh yea, you'll prob be on probation for 6 months to 1 year. If your lucky they say if you dont get stopped within that time frame they'll wipe your record clean. If not....your insurance will cost ALOT more.

It's all about the money man.
When I was stopped the ticket had both Estimated and Radar checked. I don't know what that means, A cop told me that it probably means he estimated you 1st and then clocked you. I don't think so though because like your situation we were driving towards each other, me uphill, him downhill, and he only had a few seconds to even gun me because I was halfway up the hill when his headlights were cresting.
THAT'S EXCTLY WHAT HAPPENED HERE TOO! I FEEL IT WAS RADAR - BUT ESTIMATED BECAUSE HE WAS COMING AT HIS SPPED TOWARD US - NOT ACCURATE.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:51 PM
12 Second Club

just get your lic. renewed before court they will dissmiss that charge and fine you for speeding.

I did the same thing in N. Atelburo
Old 05-17-2005, 12:53 PM
Humanitarian

You may still have your license but it's prob revoked and you'll more than likely have to see the RMV, go to that gay school and pay some fines.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:55 PM
8 second mod

another friend got arrested at NED for driving without a license. oh yhea, did i mention it was on a 50cc dirt bike in the woods out back!! lol
it was not good.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ace68
just get your lic. renewed before court they will dissmiss that charge and fine you for speeding.

I did the same thing in N. Atelburo
Well I went to Pittsfield and renewed my license today. I was thinking the same thing...6 days expired - cmon! At 43 years old and no prior speeding/criminal history, why would they bother?
I'm gonna gamble they drop the criminal expired charge and lessen the speeding to 75mph and spank me about 3 hundred bucks.
If I could only keep them out of my insurance....
Old 05-17-2005, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
You may still have your license but it's prob revoked and you'll more than likely have to see the RMV, go to that gay school and pay some fines.
Man, Joe - they bent you over hard!!!!
Was your license expired or suspened/revoked when you got your car towed and that other crap?

What pisses me of on this whole thing is expired liense is CRIMINAL!!! That's retarded!! Plus - look for that law to be made public..not in the driving manual, not in any Chapter 90 Traffic Laws, nowhere do they warn you it's as severe as being suspended or DUI!!!
The ticket says" Chap 90, Sec 15, Sub 10 - license, driving while expired"
That sentence is not to be found.
Chap 90 Sec 15 is all about railroad crossings!!!
Bullshit charge.

here is a link to Mass Traffis Laws. Insurance point system is explained etc. Drag racing is in there...

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/gl-90-toc.htm

Last edited by chief455; 05-17-2005 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chief455
Man, Joe - they bent you over hard!!!!
Was your license expired or suspened/revoked when you got your car towed and that other crap?

What pisses me of on this whole thing is expired liense is CRIMINAL!!! That's retarded!! Plus - look for that law to be made public..not in the driving manual, not in any Chapter 90 Traffic Laws, nowhere do they warn you it's as severe as being suspended or DUI!!!
The ticket says" Chap 90, Sec 15, Sub 10 - license, driving while expired"
That sentence is not to be found.
Chap 90 Sec 15 is all about railroad crossings!!!
Bullshit charge.

here is a link to Mass Traffis Laws. Insurance point system is explained etc. Drag racing is in there...

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/gl-90-toc.htm
Yeah, they got to be real ****** if there gonna give you a hard time about the expired license, it is blatently not something you were trying to avoid.

Well my ticket itself is $320, $270 w/ a $50 head injury charge...WTF. So I could assume if the magistrate lets it sit, then that will be a couple points. I think I got enough proof to drop it a lot though.

I got my car towed for expired registration once. I was on my parents insurance at the time and the RMV never sent us anything about it. I do not recall anything major occuring because of that. I would think any resonable person would not hold criminal charges against you expecially if you renew it before your court date.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

Expired charge = $ 50
Speeding charge = $100

No lawyer.
Now my insurance will still go up next year.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just get a lawyer so much easier and they know the ins and outs of the system

Quick Reply: Mass laws=speeding, expired license?