Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

LVD tonite.. finally

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 08:49 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default LVD tonite.. finally

Well, I'm off to LVD tonite, to test out the new cam setup... see what it got me over last year. Here's a list of what has changed sonce the last pass I put on the track ( not counting the pass that I smoked the factory clutch with the e.t. streets )

Frame connectors, ported TB, u.d. pulley, spec 4I clutch, Eastside cam and associated valvetrain parts, 12 bolt, 4.10's, bogarts, 26 x 11.5 e.t. streets, sportsman skinny front runners, front sway bar off, Spohn 1 inch chromoly rear sway bar.

Last successful pass I made was a 13.42 @ 107.9 with a 2.25 short time, on stock f1 tires, with nothing more then headers, catback and an airlid, spare and jack still in the car, and this was on a crappy diablo handheld programmer tune. Hoping for 12 second timeslips to go home with... shouldn't be too much of a problem. Wish me luck!
Old 05-18-2005, 09:07 AM
8 second mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep us posted. good luck!!
12's all day baby!!
Old 05-18-2005, 09:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

12's are in the bag for you man. Run 13psi in the slicks,do a short spin in the water to get the tires wet ,pull forward out of the water and do a John Force burnout and you should hook hard. So many people will do there hole burnout right in the water..........then wheel hop.........and POP, there goes the rear. Seen that enough at LVD. Good luck, I wouldn't be surprised if you got a 12.0-11.9 My car went 12.2 at islanddragway with just bolt-on's and stock tune. You have a cam with tune so your making the power to do it.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

All I got to say is you better leave real hard with that kill'r new clutch/rear setup you got now...LOL Good luck Jas...Leave at about 5500
Old 05-18-2005, 09:18 AM
8 second mod

with 400 rwhp 10's no problem!!!!!!!!!!!
i made 380 and went 12.4 @ 115 full race weight!
you have it for sure
Old 05-18-2005, 09:21 AM
Race your car!

We'll see tonite guys... 3750 and 403 to the tires.. should be 12.50 I'm hoping... give me about 14 hours.. I'll post back up.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, keep us updated! Let us know how the track is. I know LVD was starting to get strict on noise for the Wed nights. I dunno if I'd get booted now, have to give it a shot sometime. As it stands I'm likely going up saturday.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:46 AM
8 second mod

good luck!
Old 05-18-2005, 09:46 AM
Race your car!

Well.. then that could be a problem.. I'm running a cammed motor, QTP longtubes witha catted Y, and a LM... my car is damn loud. Hopefully they don't tell me to pack it up after one pass.. I wanted to go easy the first pass ( 3000 rpm launch ) to see how the car ws gonna react, as it's all new at this point. That would suck if they tell me to leave... let's just hope that they consider a LM a muffler
Old 05-18-2005, 09:47 AM
Race your car!

Thanks too Brad.. have to see how fast your old shifter goes in my car.. hopefully that thing brought you good luck!
Old 05-18-2005, 09:49 AM
8 second mod

that shifter never let me down. once i got it, i never missed another gear, and i missed alot befor lol
Old 05-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Race your car!

I never did bewfore of after it went in.... so I'll be fine with that. I can drive fine once the car is moving.. it's getting it moving that will be the problem.. but nothing that 4000 RPM won't solve.. maybe more if it hooks there.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:02 AM
8 second mod

i hit Boris H/C car at about 5800 dump it, and she hooked and booked.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I went last year a couple times when they first implemented the restrictions, and with a similar setup (cam, headers w/cats, LM) they didn't hassle me. But some other guy was there one night with a bolt on SS and I think an LM or cutout, couldn't possibly have been louder than me, and he got booted after making a pass (so he passed tech with his setup).

Also the negatives are there's usually alot of ricers (fun to beat up on them though) and historically prep isn't very good on Wednesdays.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I never did bewfore of after it went in.... so I'll be fine with that. I can drive fine once the car is moving.. it's getting it moving that will be the problem.. but nothing that 4000 RPM won't solve.. maybe more if it hooks there.
4000rph with hot and sticky ET streets will bogg. Your gonna have to keep track of what rpm is best for you. Good luck. I'm in Texas and fix-in to go to the track out here tonight to see how they do it out here in the heat.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
4000rph with hot and sticky ET streets will bogg. Your gonna have to keep track of what rpm is best for you. Good luck. I'm in Texas and fix-in to go to the track out here tonight to see how they do it out here in the heat.
Yup, if there is any traction you're going to need launch a good bit higher (but that's why you did all the driveline/suspension mods anyway).
Old 05-18-2005, 11:06 PM
Race your car!

I'm back home, made it there and back, all in one piece, so that's a plus. Here goes the results. Now I didn't do exactly as advised by a couple people, but the results are to my liking, and there's still room for imporvment. Overall, I am very happy with the results, the car ran better then I expected.

The track prep was considerably better then I remember it being, they vht's the entire lenth, and dispite all teh ricers dragging water.. it was good.

Here's the results. First round I ran with Ace68, he got me off the tree ( I was too busy watching the tach ) but the car's were very close. This was the only car I ran against tonite that is worth mentioning, so I won't bore anyone with the 15 and 16 secind ricers that I ran otherwise.

Here's a breakdown of the run:

My car:
r/t .827
60 2.059
330 5.563
1/8 8.399
mph 86.78
1000 10.835
1/4 12.861
mph 111.84

Ace rana 12.831 this pass @ 110.19, he got me off the tree by alot, but again, I was here to test the car tonite.. not race everyhting in the other lane. The first pass I launche the car at around 2900, being that there were so many changes made to the car from the last time I ran it, I wanted to make sure that it was gonna go strait, etc. etc. Car went dead strait down the track, bogged because I didn't launch it hard enough, but to be expected. Still, not dissappointing as I knew I took it very easy.

The 2nd pass, staged, teh car, launched at about 4200, car didn't bog, spun the tires about 2 revolutions and went, resulting in:

r/t .728
60 1.790
330 5.195
1/8 7.99
mph 87.40
1000 10.402
1/4 12.413
mph 112.58

I was stoked to see this run, I was hoping that the car would go 12.50 this year, anything better then that was a bonus in my eyes, as I'm no drag racer by any means.

3rd pass I took 1 lb of air out of the tires, ( down to 14 psi ) which alot of people will probably say is still too much, but the car does alot of movement as it is this low, and I think there's still improvments to be made with suspension changes to help hit the rear tires harder, so I'll test that out next time I go. I launched this pass at 4500, result was more wheelspin then the previous run, even with the decreased air pressure... but here's the results:

r/t .571
60 1.854
330 5.216
1/8 8.003
mph 87.95
1000 10.396
1/4 12.392
mph 113.27

I think that the cooler air on the last run ( made at 8:02 p.m. ) helped on the big end of the track some, becuase the first 1/2 was worse, even though the time and mph were better.

I stopped at this point, as I think I learned what I needed to know... moving the lower control arms to the lower hole is probably gonna help the 60 foot, and a better track prep day, or at least a day that doesn't have so many fwd cars driving thru the water... will probably help me in my search for a low low 12 second pass... but I'll take what I got and smile about it all things considered.

All these passes were also made with me driving the car, so the raceweight is over 3700 lbs I know for sure, the scale wasn't on tonite unfortunately for me to get weigh in, would have liked to see where I was at with that, and how much I really need to start taking out. All runs were also made with apporx 1/4 tank of gas, even thought eh gas light was on when I left tonite ( good thing the station my the highway was open! ) and were made on regular 93 octane out of the pump gas.

There were a few people there tonite with cameras and a video camera, which did get my first pass, not sure if anyone got anythign on the other 2, but I'll try to get them and post them up on here if I can.

Thanks again Ken from Eastside, car runs great, does better then I what I had hoped for, and with room left for improvment in the 60 foot, and a little weight reduction, I'll have one damn strong running car. It's the attenion to the little details that have really helped things come together, can't say enough good.

There's the results, call them good, call them bad, but they are what they are, and I'm happy with it, guess that's all that matters!
Old 05-19-2005, 01:11 AM
12 Second Club

It was a blast nice meeting you and, dam I forgot the other guy's name sorry, your car is sweet I wish I would just put on some headers and a cam but I want the motor stock .

I was just .067 away from getting a trophy oh well they are sending me a sticker in the mail third place isn’t bad I guess for the way I was driving tonight. I had one better run than the first but just by a bit, the first run was my best 60 by about .06. I might make the trip again......it's a long ride.

You will get an 11 sec run when the conditions are a better you spun a little on that low 12 pass looked like you had your hands full you were sideways a little.

Do you drive up there with your pinion angel set for racing or did you change it at the track? I was going to change mine when I got there but forgot my wrench. I wonder how bad it would be on my universal driving up and back to the track with a -2.

Did you get stuck in the traffic form the inferno down the street at the paint factory? Man the fire stunk bad WOW.

Last edited by ace68; 05-19-2005 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats Jas.....
Old 05-19-2005, 07:25 AM
Race your car!

I drove right by that fire on the way home, they fire department was just getting there as I was driving thru.. and it didn't smell good. I just got done doing a 2 hour cleaning on teh car.. nothing on it, I was a little worried that burning paint was gonna leave a residue. Good to hear that you ran well, round after round you kept going... got your $$'s worth in anyway. I made my 3 passes, then I figured I have to make a change, wether it be a better track day, car, whatever to get a whole lot more out of the car... no sense in killing it, not really learning anything if I keep running it with no changes.

As for the pinion angle.. I'm at 0 degrees baby. I took the car EXACTLY the way I drive it, with the only change being the tire swap, which I drive on those sometimes too.... I don't like the whole idea of the pinion angle, if I can get the suspension to work and 60 foot at 0 degrees, I'm gonna do so, adding angle is actually a mechanical bind, sucks HP out of the car and is mad wear on parts.. if I can get the car to get into the 1.65 to 1.60 range without changing the angle... it's staying right where it is... I think it can be done, not that far off now on a less then perfect track.

You're car runs damn good for a stock internal, no header car. My compliments to the mechanic.... All that said, get yourself a 12 bolt! At least then you can not have 1 legger problems... and the piece of mind is well worth it, 4.10's in the 10 bolt aren't the strongest thing going. Just find a way to take some more weight out, it will make up for the minor HP loss that's all.

After seeing your car run, I'm thinking that water pump is gonna have to get added to my list, gotta be helping your car out, and the cool off factor with the car not running... also a good thing.

That last pass it did haze the tires, car was squirrly out of the hole for sure, still the fastest run of the night too, go figure. I change the lower control arm position, and get a better set of tires once those are shot, pull a little weight ( LW battery looks like a good start ) and there's an 11 second pass in her.

For hemmings day, I'm gonna get under that car, look for uneeded heat shields, the rear seat might come out, if I can get a battery soon enough, I'll get that in there, change the control arm position, and see if I can shed a coupel pounds too, and I'l put some 105 octane in the tank for good measure. I know the track will be well prepped for that event, was last year, maybe if the car hooks I'll see 11.99. Have to see.

My buddy's name was mark.. fun guy, he's got a GLHS dodge omni, should be a 12 secind car this year when and if his computer module shows up. that car is scary, you feel like you are sitting in a rollerskate.. that goes too damn fast for what it is... he has a ton of fun beating up on ricers with it.. it ran a mid 13 last year, and considering all the 15 and 16 secind ricers taht we saw last night... you can see why he has fun with it.