Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

CT People....Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CT People....Help!!!

Hey Everyone,

I am being offered a job in E. Hartford CT. I was wondering what kind of taxes ya'll pay up there.

Federal
Social Security
Medicare

They are everywhere,..but whats the rest?

State?
Local?
City?/County?

How about registration on your car(s)? Insurance?
Is it a pain in the butt to get your tags/license swapped out?

Any help would be very informative. Thanks!!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 09:10 PM
CT Hotness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm not really sure on all that, but i know for sure that CT pays more taxes than any other state in the country. they tax just about everything including cars and horses (i found that out a few days ago and thought it was funnny). E Hartford isn't too far from me. Traffic sucks around there
Old 05-24-2005, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

uhh sales tax is 6%. property taxes vary by town, i know ellington is a 33.7% mill rate. utilities depend on how much you use, obvioulsy. i will tell you this, CT is a very expensive place to live, one of the highest in the country, but will also have one of the highest average incomes in the country, so it kinda balances out. east hartford isnt as bad as it used to be, but if you are looking for a house there are a lot of great surrounding towns. if you have children or planning on having a family CT has the best education system in the country. it isnt that bad of a state, but the weather sucks compared to Las Vegas do a search on the web there is a lot of good info. on the site that i might have missed, both good and bad. and if you do end up moving here, look us up we are all good people for the most part
Old 05-24-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

thank you both of you, for the quick response.

I'm not going to move to E. Hartford, I was thinking elsewhere. The company I am working for, as a contractor, is in east hartford. Right now, they have me in a corporate apartment in Manchester...right across from the mall... and I was looking for a house to buy if they offer enough for me to move up here all together.

I noticed they tax everything up here, no more Las Vegas or San Antonio easy tax brackets for me it looks like.

I think traffic is pretty light, but then again, I'm at work at 630am and get off anytime after 5pm. I thought it would be worst being next to the mall, but its not that bad.

Where does everyone hang out at up here with their Fbodies. I miss mine and can't wait until its finished up with the turbo kit...its going to be a fun drive cross country with it though.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

we hang out all over the place, we are trying to get people to start going down to the berlin turnpike to hang out more frequently. we get together at various people places. i know a lot of people like to hang out at slowhawk's on the weekends, dont know i really havent gone. been meaning to, but its an hour an a half away. we all usually make posts and arrange a get together sometimes. look me up if you do move to manchester, seeing as ellington is the next town over. ive lived here my entire life and know my way around pretty darn well.
Erik
Old 05-25-2005, 05:40 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

taxes here are crappy... but that's what the internet is for.. mail order everything you can

You're not too far from a cruise that goes on every friday night, right on rt 83, north of where you live, probably take you about 10 minutes to get to it, alot of us sometimes meet there and head out on Friday nights.. did last week anyway.

We are planning a cruise takeover for the near future on a saturday night... if you have your car here, keep your eyes posted to the eastern forum.. I'll me p.m.'ing people to spread the word, I don't want the guys that run the cruise to find out, never know what they may be reading and what they aren't, so it will have to be a little covert.. but should be a great time.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Humvee z28
uhh sales tax is 6%. property taxes vary by town, i know ellington is a 33.7% mill rate. utilities depend on how much you use, obvioulsy. i will tell you this, CT is a very expensive place to live, one of the highest in the country, but will also have one of the highest average incomes in the country, so it kinda balances out. east hartford isnt as bad as it used to be, but if you are looking for a house there are a lot of great surrounding towns. if you have children or planning on having a family CT has the best education system in the country. it isnt that bad of a state, but the weather sucks compared to Las Vegas do a search on the web there is a lot of good info. on the site that i might have missed, both good and bad. and if you do end up moving here, look us up we are all good people for the most part
Well put.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:48 AM
TECH Resident

http://swz.salary.com/CostOfLivingWi...tebrief_C.html

Old 05-25-2005, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

ya i try to do something right every once in a great while
Old 05-25-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the replies ladies and gentlemen.

This will help out a lot.

Do ya'll meet up on the weekend and hang out? Where is the nearest 1/4 mile strip? Do they have any autox going on up here?

Again, thanks for the replies. Hope all is going well for everyone.

Matt
Old 05-25-2005, 09:49 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

And it's still home to UConn :yuck: lol,
Old 05-25-2005, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

nearest 1/4 mile strip is Lebanon Valley dragway, about an hour and a half from manchester. New England Dragway is about 2 to 2 1/2 i think never been there but will soon. auto-x i dont know much about, not my thing. but i think there are various events around. i know an ex-friend used to go to a lot of them in Vermont. any more ?'s feel free to ask we will do our best to answer them.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:48 PM
CT Hotness

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
And it's still home to UConn :yuck: lol,
screw you i go to uconn...

yea were trying to get together more often. im sure this summer there will be lots of opertunities and everyone is cool. I'm always in manchester, i have a few friends that live right near the mall as well. anyway, can't wait to meet ya we'll all have to get together soon!!
Old 05-26-2005, 05:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lilstephsls1
screw you i go to uconn...

yea were trying to get together more often. im sure this summer there will be lots of opertunities and everyone is cool. I'm always in manchester, i have a few friends that live right near the mall as well. anyway, can't wait to meet ya we'll all have to get together soon!!

Steph, don't mind my buddy Aaron. He went to U of Del-a-where? so he might be a bit lost from time to time.

Anyways, yeah, that would be great to meet up with some fellow Fbody owners. I can't wait to get mine back. If ya'll decide to meet up, please PM me and let me know. I love getting out of this apartment for a little bit, especially on the weekends!
Old 05-26-2005, 01:54 PM

well join the CTFBA you can come to the events the club put on its a great bunch of people
www.ctfba.com

hope to meet ya this summer up on the pike or at the shop
Old 05-26-2005, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thechef
well join the CTFBA you can come to the events the club put on its a great bunch of people
www.ctfba.com

hope to meet ya this summer up on the pike or at the shop

thanks, I'll check the site out.

Where is your shop located at?
Old 05-26-2005, 05:35 PM

East Side Performance
66 woodhouse ave
wallingford,CT
Old 05-26-2005, 06:57 PM
CT Hotness

so you already live in CT? Do you have any pics of the car or will we have to meet up to see it?
Old 05-26-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lilstephsls1
so you already live in CT? Do you have any pics of the car or will we have to meet up to see it?
I live in Vegas right now. (:edit: but I've been in CT all but 5 weeks since Feb 7, 2005 I have a corporate apartment up here because its cheaper for the company (2k/month) vs a hotel (2800/month). So they put me up in an apartment. Currently, I am a contract worker. They have been picking my brain to see about going full time with them.

Some pics of the car and its parts.......car pics The blower is sold and a turbo going in its place.

the beater

Pics of me...PM me I'm shy
Old 05-26-2005, 07:23 PM
CT Hotness

haha nice looking car! i would hate moving from LV to here.. i cant wait to move out of this state