Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

OT: plasma, dlp, or lcd?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 10:55 AM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OT: plasma, dlp, or lcd?

My 10-year old projection TV is finally beginning to die.

I'm looking to replace it with a flat screen in the 42" - 50" range.

I remember there was a thread here a few months back discussing this.

There's so much info as to what's better; dlp, plasma, or lcd. I'm confused. If you were to purchase something now, what would you get?
Old 02-12-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dlp is the best picture (overall and for the money) but it just isn't as nice as a Plasma or LCD in my opinion... I have a 42" plasma and love it. Really opened up the living room space wise. As to Lcd or plasma is more just personal preferrence. Lcd is newer technology but only goes up to 50" were plasma skies the limit. Good luck....
Old 02-12-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im in the business. Plasma is best. The new(current) generations are the best ever. 60,000 hour half life, burn in issues solved, best picture available. There is no alternative if you want the best quality.

Last edited by Bear; 02-12-2006 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

DLP is the way to go
Old 02-12-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

Need to know a few things first. You have a RP now so you already have the space set aside so I wouldnt count out RP's .(They arent as big as your 10 year old one anymore).

1. What are you going to use the TV for? Video games, movies, Sports? all?
2. Do you have any HD devices now that you use or are planning to get?
3. How far away do you sit from the TV and are you always straight in front of it or do some people watch from an angle?
4. What is the price you are looking to spend?

SED's should be coming out too they seem pretty sweet (100,000:1 contrast ratio )but will be $$$$$.

Last edited by 9T9BlueTA; 02-12-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2 nec 50''plasmas @ work and no plroblems they are on from 6am to 8pm,but I heard after the gas comes out you take it off the wall and throw it away.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:20 PM
9 Second Club

I went through the same thing, my 9 year old RCA projection died a couple months ago, so I went shopping... I looked at everything from $1100 rear projections to $5000 plasma's... I ended up going with a 57" High def rear projection, it was only $1,600 and watching high def satelite it looks awsome... (also I have a long narrow living room and the tv is at the very end, so there is no need to worry about wide viewing angles in my living room.) For me it was the best buy for the money... But I'm finishing off my basement right now... once it's done, I'll prob pick up a DLP for the bar area... My dad has a 42" plasma and a 56" DLP.... I really like the DLP's
Old 02-12-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup Pete, there is no gas station for plasmas. That is a NON ISSUE with the current gen. 60,000 hours of use BEFORE it STARTS to fade. That is WAY MORE THAN YOU'LL EVER NEED. In 12-15 years if you are still watching the same TV then you have other issues. Plasma offer the best picture, best viewing angle and is thin as hell. $$$ is the only drawback. If you can afford a Pioneer, or Runco or God Forbid Bang & Olufsen, that is the way to go. The middle of the road plasmas are Panasonic, Sony, Fujitsu, Samsung, others that you see from Dell, Daewoo and Sampo or the likes are cheap crap. They dont have the processing power to handle the fast movements. Thats the key with the newer types of TVs the refresh rate and how it does fast motion. Try watching the FIRST PLACE New York Rangers in HD on a crappy tv, the puck is hard to follow and it looks like you are on an everlasting acid trip, lots of trailers. As far as size that depends on your wallet and how far back you sit. General rule NOT SCIENCE OR LAW, you SHOULD be back 3 times the diagonal of the plasma. That way you wont see "past" the picture and see the pixels. Hope this helps. Oh yeah and just in case you are a baller and have loot up the ying yang come see me at www.Bang-Olufsen.com Peace
Old 02-12-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

we have a 63inch sony lcd HD and it is absolutly incrediable....
Old 02-12-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bear
Yup Pete, there is no gas station for plasmas. That is a NON ISSUE with the current gen. 60,000 hours of use BEFORE it STARTS to fade. That is WAY MORE THAN YOU'LL EVER NEED. In 12-15 years if you are still watching the same TV then you have other issues. Plasma offer the best picture, best viewing angle and is thin as hell. $$$ is the only drawback. If you can afford a Pioneer, or Runco or God Forbid Bang & Olufsen, that is the way to go. The middle of the road plasmas are Panasonic, Sony, Fujitsu, Samsung, others that you see from Dell, Daewoo and Sampo or the likes are cheap crap. They dont have the processing power to handle the fast movements. Thats the key with the newer types of TVs the refresh rate and how it does fast motion. Try watching the FIRST PLACE New York Rangers in HD on a crappy tv, the puck is hard to follow and it looks like you are on an everlasting acid trip, lots of trailers. As far as size that depends on your wallet and how far back you sit. General rule NOT SCIENCE OR LAW, you SHOULD be back 3 times the diagonal of the plasma. That way you wont see "past" the picture and see the pixels. Hope this helps. Oh yeah and just in case you are a baller and have loot up the ying yang come see me at www.Bang-Olufsen.com Peace
We paid 14,000 directly from nec in 2000.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have at least one of each. There is a 50" Sony plasma in my livingroom. Very good picture but I think I want something a little bigger in there so I was out looking at the 61" Pioneer Elite last night. I was told that they will be releasing a new model of that TV next month. There is a 52" Toshiba DLP in the bedroom. Very crisp, clean picture. I was watching a NASCAR race this morning. It felt like I was in the car looking out the window DLPs take up a little more space because they don't hang on the wall but it's not to bad and they aren't heavy. I have a 23" Sony LCD in my master bathroom. Also a good picture here. You can usually count on that with this brand. The last two are in my garage at home. One is a 30" Dell LCD. Another good picture. It comes with a stand and detachable speakers. Not bad for the money! I have this mounted in the corner so I can see it from pretty much anywhere that I'm working in there. Only problem is I can't see it if I'm working under a car on the lift. I found that I'll keep stopping to watch a show so I picked up a 15" Sylvania to mount a few feet over and a few feet down. I don't know if there is a problem with this set or if it's just the way it is because the picture isn't even close to the Dell. I was watching something the other night. It showed a field with lush green grass. Well, at least that is what I saw on the Dell. The grass shown on the Sylvania looked like it was out in the desert. I played with the settings for a little improvement but the pictures still don't come close. I'll be returning this one for a Sony.

I've found that this site has alot of good info - http://www.avsforum.com
Old 02-12-2006, 06:47 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by tbyrne
Only problem is I can't see it if I'm working under a car on the lift. I found that I'll keep stopping to watch a show so I picked up a 15" Sylvania to mount a few feet over and a few feet down.
You kill me...
Old 02-13-2006, 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPRSPT
Dlp is the best picture (overall and for the money) but it just isn't as nice as a Plasma or LCD in my opinion... I have a 42" plasma and love it. Really opened up the living room space wise. As to Lcd or plasma is more just personal preferrence. Lcd is newer technology but only goes up to 50" were plasma skies the limit. Good luck....

DLP is the way to go. It's the best bang for the buck, and doesn't lose resolution like large LCD screens and doesn't need the maintenence of a plasma on a regular basis.

Samsug has awsome 42" and 46" DLP TV's for under 2 grand.

My future brother in law bought the 42" about three years ago. Awsome just awsome!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

go to www.avsforum.com and ask there. people there can give you a real good description as to whats good/bad/ugly. Some are very into it and cant tell you the real technial aspects that will make you wish you never asked.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

Go buy your next tv at Costco. Who else can offer you a lifetime guarantee on your tv?

10 years down the road you want a different tv, just take the old one back to Costco, get your money back, and buy the one you want.

Plus, even if you want to throw the tv out the window and it shatters 3 years down the road, just bring it back with a receipt and we'll give you your money back. Best damn warranty period.

*mods, if you feel that I am advertising for Costco whom is not a paid sponsor, feel free to edit this post or delete it.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Banned

I have the Panasonic 56" - DXL75 model. DLP. It is amazing... It's funny, we were watching that new Pam Anderson show and my friend had commented on her HEP C and about her skin. The TV is so clear in HD mode that you can see how f'd up her skin really is

DLP is run by a HID bulb, yes just like in a car. The bulb lasts about 4000 hours, replacement bulb is $300. No maintainence other than that really needed, it's definitely a good bang for the buck. My TV was $2900 + $400 4-yr serv. contract from best buy.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

I have a 13" TV/VCR combo w/ one speaker mono sound and a broken remote. It sucks. I don't recommend it at all.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cyborg
I have a 13" TV/VCR combo w/ one speaker mono sound and a broken remote. It sucks. I don't recommend it at all.

That's funny
Old 02-14-2006, 09:35 AM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks all!

Given my budget, source signal, distance from tv, etc; I've decided to go with rear projection for now: the Hitachi 57" HDTV (57F710A) looks good.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sony SXRD!