Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Failed PA state emissions again! help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Angry Failed PA state emissions again! help!

The other day I failed emissions miserably so I went ahead and did a few things that I thought would fix it. I put new 02 sensors on, put stock thermostat in, scrapped MadZ28 tuned computer for a stock replacement one from GM, and fixed a vacumn leak i had. Well I did the emissions test again and failed even worse.

Because my car is a '95 its an OBD1 computer so they do a dyno type test here in PA.

Here are my results from the 1st time and 2nd time I had testing done:

CO% x liters
Limits/Test Values
1.10/3.64
1.10/6.72

HC ppm x liters
275/729
275/1271

NO ppm x liters
3600/5876
3600/11325

RPM reading

Dilution
Reading
17.9%
14.3%

The first emission test was done with the car being fairly cold, the second test was done at a different location with the car running hot. I was told it it easier to pass with a car that is running hot.

I have no clue why I am failing so bad however I have a Maganflow hi-flow Cat after the Y on my exhaust setup so it looks like my Cat is not heating up at all therefore not functioning at all. So I think I'm going to have a custom Y-Pipe made with cats on each side so that they work properly. Will that alone solve my issue or is there more? BTW: I had to fork out $129 for an emissions waiver which was hell dealing with Harrisburg since I spent so much money trying to fix the problem without it being fixed. I just need it to pass for next year now. I feel so glad that more than double the money I made from graduation is going towards making my flipping car pass inspection.
Thank you in advance for any help.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...pay someone for lick and stick..
Old 06-17-2006, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CamaroSS621
...pay someone for lick and stick..
That is def what I want to do but my dad wants the car legal so if worse comes to worse I will need to get to know some people. Problem is the state sees the dyno emissions test so they can't just slip me a sticker without putting a car on that dyno thing thats a '95 and all just like mine otherwise the state knows I didnt have my actual emissions done.

Last edited by StealthFormula; 06-17-2006 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

They sell bottles of stuff you can put in your tank and pass emmisions. I forget what its called but you used to be able to buy it anywhere. Go to Advance or pepboys and check out all the fuel additives...some say it right on the bottle.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
They sell bottles of stuff you can put in your tank and pass emmisions. I forget what its called but you used to be able to buy it anywhere. Go to Advance or pepboys and check out all the fuel additives...some say it right on the bottle.
denatured alcohol.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

It doesnt really need to be hot. i do testing in Chester county and if i have a car that doesnt pass, usually what works is a good run down the highway then put it right on the dyno. I have alot of luck doing it that way.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

And be careful with the additives because if you dont run it all out it very well could fail worse than before
Old 06-18-2006, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you spent more than $150 bucks on repairs to try and get it passed??? if so, you get a "waiver" sticker for the year....but next year it goes up to $175 i beleive and will continue to increase yearly.
if not, your only other option would be to trick the machine with the old swap cars deal. goodluck
Old 06-18-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno man but your not even close to passing by the numbers you posted. You might try running some Seafoam through your systems then change the oil, plugs etc but as I said it's not like your a few points out you are WAY out and unless you find a lick and stick you're probably going to have issues.

Does the car use a lot of oil? If your burning oil maybe going to a much thicker oil just for the test will help. How many miles do you have on this car and is it the original motor? You're not running a 69 camaro motor with a carb or anything are you? Maybe your cats are bad? If so you'll probably need to swap them out in order to get past the dyno sniffer test. What other mods have you done to the car?
Old 06-18-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

have you messed with the timeing? My 92 camaro had high nox and hc's and it ened up being my timeing was off by a *cough* few degrees... Might try that
Old 06-18-2006, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I dunno man but your not even close to passing by the numbers you posted. You might try running some Seafoam through your systems then change the oil, plugs etc but as I said it's not like your a few points out you are WAY out and unless you find a lick and stick you're probably going to have issues.

Does the car use a lot of oil? If your burning oil maybe going to a much thicker oil just for the test will help. How many miles do you have on this car and is it the original motor? You're not running a 69 camaro motor with a carb or anything are you? Maybe your cats are bad? If so you'll probably need to swap them out in order to get past the dyno sniffer test. What other mods have you done to the car?
The car doesnt burn oil. I have 69,000 miles on the car and its the original motor. The car passed last year with a breaze however this past year I installed new plugs/wires, LT's, ORY with Cat after Y, new 02's and LT4KM. I think my problem is that I need to have a custom Catted Y made because my Cat is too far back therefore not functioning at all. I also think part of the problem could be the fact that my new computer from GM needs to be tuned by a Tech1 scanner because my mph is way off, it needs to be tuned for the options my car had from the factory, dunno if that will make a difference tho.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00'WS6Rocket
have you messed with the timeing? My 92 camaro had high nox and hc's and it ened up being my timeing was off by a *cough* few degrees... Might try that
My timing was messed with when I had a MAdZ28 tune but I now have a stock computer in the car so the timing must be fine.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TNTramair
have you spent more than $150 bucks on repairs to try and get it passed??? if so, you get a "waiver" sticker for the year....but next year it goes up to $175 i beleive and will continue to increase yearly.
if not, your only other option would be to trick the machine with the old swap cars deal. goodluck
Yea I got a waiver but I dont want to have to do this every year.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

you are right the cat has to be as close to the heads as possible (operating temp dependent). Its not working at all.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

i dont have any cats.. dont have egr or air on a 00... Do you think they will check for the air and egr even though my fast doesnt have egr? also.. im putting my hooker back on to quiet it up, do they look specifically for the cats or does the service engine soon light just have to not be on?
Old 06-18-2006, 09:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by carado1984
i dont have any cats.. dont have egr or air on a 00... Do you think they will check for the air and egr even though my fast doesnt have egr? also.. im putting my hooker back on to quiet it up, do they look specifically for the cats or does the service engine soon light just have to not be on?
I think during the visual part they will fail you because theres no visual cat and or any egr or air equipment.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by carado1984
On 1996 and up cars OBD2...there is no PA state visual....they shouldnt look for cats or EGR by the book...however they can be aholes.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

sam.. where did you take your ws6? because you had and ory and loudmouth right? or did you swap in a catted pipe? i suppose i can bolt my egr back up to the block off plate but it would be a pain in the ***..

Quick Reply: Failed PA state emissions again! help!