Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

8k miles NO abuse Spec stage 5 slipping WTF

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8k miles NO abuse Spec stage 5 slipping WTF

Whats up guys. Just put a Spec stage 5 in my car, in March and have about 8k miles on it. I installed this w/ brand new slave, master, flywheel, pilot bearing.............every thing was changed so I would not be doing the clutch again for a while. I had previously had Noyzee's USED stage 4 and got a good 20k and 4 bottles of juice out of it before starting to slip. I installed that one as well w/ no issues, so I don't think there is an installation issue, with the stage 5. Ok that said, even thou there was no break-in period metioned from spec. I still drove conservatly for the first 500 miles to break-in the clutch. Since then I have driven the car hard but not retarted or used any Nitrous. My bottle has been empty since last year. The car hasn't been to the track at all. Only stop light action. I was told that this was the final say all of clucthes and a must have, pretty much. My car is only making about 350 rwhp off the bottle...................This is about half what this clutch is supposed to handle...........arggggggggggg Now to deal with the squealling that has never gone away, I've been riding the clutch more than you would with any other clucth. Could this be the cause and if so this is not the clutch for a daily driver.....And the way people talk about this thing is that it's almost indestructible, espeacially with only 350 ponies. And it's a great clutch for every day driving While all my rig has been doing is commuting to work all day w/ no play. And now it is starting to slip, mainly w/ no load rolling, step on it slips a little then its fine. I can still hammer down and it dosen't feel like it's slipping. But when you roll on the throttle cruising it slips. My stage 4 did this for a while until it was finally KO'd..................................WTF What is wrong here. Will spec warranty this or tell me to pound sand. This sucks, the way I've been driving, my stocker would be just fine..........Any help would be greatly appreciated. I spent close to a grand to do this the right way once and now its F*ing me hard, not even a complimentry reach around either. That will be when the tranny needs a rebuild because this clutch sucks. And dropping another G is not really an option right now......I'm so sick of **** like this that it may be time to trade the bitch in which sucks because I just paid it off when I did the clutch and was looking forward to no car payments. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!sorry to rant but I'm sure you've all been in this boat with no paddle at some point.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2000WS6RamAir
I've been riding the clutch more than you would with any other clucth. Could this be the cause and if so this is not the clutch for a daily driver.....And the way people talk about this thing is that it's almost indestructible, espeacially with only 350 ponies. And it's a great clutch for every day driving While all my rig has been doing is commuting to work all day w/ no play. And now it is starting to slip, mainly w/ no load rolling, step on it slips a little then its fine. I can still hammer down and it dosen't feel like it's slipping. But when you roll on the throttle cruising it slips. My stage 4 did this for a while until it was finally KO'd..................................WTF What is wrong here. Will spec warranty this or tell me to pound sand. This sucks, the way I've been driving, my stocker would be just fine..........
Riding any clutch will kill it quickly. If you really got 8K out of a spec5 that you were riding regularly I would suggest that that illustrates how good that clutch is. Racing clutches like the spec 5 especially should be slipped minimally to make them last as long as possible. I daily drive mine and like it a lot...I don't love the squeak but engauging the clutch is easy enough and I never ride it. I'm not sure what you mean by no-load slipping, but if you think there is something wrong with it then call spec, get an RMA #, have them look at it, and they will probably rebuild it for you for a very reasonable fee. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can not ride a race type clutch.It will destroy it quickly.The clutch is made to hold the hp when fully engaged,not to be slipped heavilly.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

my brother has a 6 puck sprung clutch in his turbo Jetta, I actually like it for a puck clutch. I have a centerforce in my stang and its been taking a beating for 40K miles and still holds great, I had a spec stage 3 in my 408 SS and that took a beating just fine. I put about 5K miles on that clutch then sold the car but I hear its still perfect.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:27 PM
12 Second Club

I've got a Full Spec 3 package flywheel disc plate, 02 slave mcleod master. My hawk is making 321 at the wheels and it doesn't slip. Even if i drop it from 3500 at the track.

Rick
Old 06-22-2006, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
You can not ride a race type clutch.It will destroy it quickly.The clutch is made to hold the hp when fully engaged,not to be slipped heavilly.

agreed
Old 06-22-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

i got about 7k on my spec5, and i took it to the track a few times and it doesnt even squeek that bad....everything else is going wrong with my car tho but the clutch is doin great!
Old 06-23-2006, 12:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

sorry to hear this dave, some squel bad most dont now though . slipping a stg 5 though is highly frowned upon and probbly what pre-maturly wore it out unfortently. ive got 25k+ on my stg 3 and slip it little as possible. most race clutches dont like heat .
if you want stock type stuff ls6/167 setup let me know though . not to sure how theyll hold the spray though