Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

What would you pay for a Blown SS???

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006 | 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Default What would you pay for a Blown SS???

Alright guys, I need your opinions. My buddy called me up yesterday and goes, "hey, you want to buy a camaro?" He's got a 99 SS with a Vortech, cam, LT headers, ORY, Magnaflow? catback, M6 with a spec stage 2?, and about 70,000 miles i believe. It made about 500/480 or somewhere along those lines. Oh, and it's got the STOCK 10 bolt, too. The car is stock appearing, right down the the ugly 5 spoke stock wheels. The body needs a little work...all of the panels are straight but the hood is cracked in one corner to the point where he had to use electrical tape just to make the piece stay in the meantime (good thing the car is black), and the spoiler was hit with a ramp when on the trailor so that would need to be fixed. The car could use an entire paintjob due to swirl marks and a few random scratches.

He likes cars, but he's not really into them and I think he's just fed up with the small stuff that tends to go wrong and gas prices and stuff like that. I don't really want to go any higher than $11,000 and I would have to sell my current car first.

What would you guys be willing to offer this guy if he was a friend of yours?

Here's a picture...the car isn't too bad but it's not as clean as it looks here.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails What would you pay for a Blown SS???-matt-s-ss-small.jpg  
Old 07-31-2006 | 09:31 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

how long has the blower been on there? might want to consider motor longevity
Old 07-31-2006 | 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

major sleeper the way it looks
Old 07-31-2006 | 10:01 AM
On The Tree

The blower was on the car when he bought it...the dealership thought it was a factory piece on an SS! He never drives the car and he's had it since Fall '04. Since he bought it, the motor was gone through to check for anything wrong and to put the cam in. It was regasketed and everything looks good inside. No detonation or anything. The car was tuned at Dez Racing a couple months ago so it's running pretty good. I think he's got about 5k on it since he bought it. As for the blower, we don't know how long it's been on there but the motor does look pretty good.
Old 07-31-2006 | 10:46 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

i would say 11k is an ok price, considering it needs paint, will need a clutch i'd go atleast spec 3...and probably a rear end if it gets beat at all? i mean aftermarket parts dont really make a car worth that much more
Old 07-31-2006 | 11:12 AM

that looks like a z28 not a SS, looks like z28 wheels and rear spoiler, i would check to see if its a real SS, maybe im wrong, but its not a bad price if it runs really well

if it was tuned by DEZ maybe Slowhawk knows some info on the car
Old 07-31-2006 | 11:21 AM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

11 K tops. The hood, rear spoiler and repainting the car alone will end up cost ing you about 5 grand at least... so figure that if you want it to look prefect. That clutch is not even close to adequate, but as soon as you put a good one in it, the rear will grenade itself senseless I'm sure.

Whatever you do, if you want to get the car to be 100%, it sounds like it needs about 10 grand put into it. So plan accordingly.
Old 07-31-2006 | 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Are you sure it is a real SS? Those are 5-spoke wheels off of a Z28. Id say go for it eithier way
Old 07-31-2006 | 01:47 PM
On The Tree

I've always been skeptical on if it is a real SS or not. I brought this up to another buddy of mine who worked on the car for this guy, and he said he checked the code on the door before and it showed the code on the sticker that all SS's have. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I do know the door sticker is supposed to show a specific code for all SS's...can anyone tell me what it is? If I remember correctly, he carfaxed it when he bought it and it came up as a Z28. Would carfax show this as a SS or Z28 if it were real?

It does have the SS spoiler on it, but one of the SS fender letters was actually put on upside down by the previous owner so that made me think twice, too.

I appreciate the help guys.

Jim
Old 07-31-2006 | 02:10 PM
CT Hotness

I'd call Dez or Don and ask about the car. He would be able to tell you a little more about it
Old 07-31-2006 | 03:34 PM

If it is an SS, it will have the code WU8 on the driver side door where the RPO codes are. You could PM DOn (slowhawk) and ask him about the car. $10K sounds right. You are going to need to put cash into it.
Old 07-31-2006 | 03:34 PM

I think I saw that car in Groton CT?
Old 07-31-2006 | 07:03 PM
On The Tree

I don't think you saw the car in Groton...unless he was going to the beach or something. We're from the Storrs area.

I just took the car out and looked at the door. It does have the WU8 code on the door. A couple issues though, the gauge cluster kept resetting itself during the ride like when you start the car and the gauges do the sweep and come back down. Maybe a bad ground somewhere?

Also, the car wouldn't turn over and the security light came on (this was the second time it has happened since he's had it) but I took a pencil eraser to the key and got it to start. The car itself runs well, idles, doesn't break up, pulls hard and rides smooth, too.

He's a pretty good friend of mine, so I know there won't be any lying about anything. The car came from FL to NY, and he bought it in NY. I was just wondering what you guys and girls thought it was worth.
Old 07-31-2006 | 08:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I know little about the car and the owner knew as much as me.We did tune it,it does have a Cam and it did make near 500rwhp but it was out of gas and needed a fuel pump and larger injectors at that time.Other than that it ran real good.
Old 07-31-2006 | 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

11k is worth it.....id say at least...i spent more than that on my car stock and almost double the cost of my car in upgrades....and im pushing just about 600....if you go to sorrells in danielson on 12s towards plainfield i believe, they painted my car after it got hit by a motorcycle and it came out pretty good....anyways good luck with your decision