Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

who works at a car insurance company??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default who works at a car insurance company??

i have a question??

Marco
Old 12-28-2006, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my girlfriend works for one here in beautiful massachusetts...let me know the question and I'll run it by her.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do, in CT
Old 12-28-2006, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

I hate insurance companies !!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000LS1TA
I hate insurance companies !!!!
and they hate (with a passion) anyone who makes a claim! heaven forbid you paid 3k a year for 5 years and have to make a claim for 1,500.00 after all those years and dollars. they fight tooth and nail. i like how they pro-rate the tires, tie rods and other stuff now.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

I know, that **** is crazy. I have never had to make a claim, no tickets, etc. and my rates are still the same
Old 12-28-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

If it's snowing out and I lose control of my car on the highway and hit a guard rail, then drive home right after the accident and call the police to report it. Will I be surcharged for the accident? or will it be blamed on weather related? and I DON'T get surcharged due to bad weather.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:22 PM
11 Second Club

I think you're supposed to get a cop there when it happens
Old 12-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Krazy98Z28
If it's snowing out and I lose control of my car on the highway and hit a guard rail, then drive home right after the accident and call the police to report it. Will I be surcharged for the accident? or will it be blamed on weather related? and I DON'T get surcharged due to bad weather.

Ok here is the deal.

ANY time you have a accident, that being hitting someone (ex. car) or some object (ex. rock, guardrail). You are AT FAULT for the accident. If it is to be covered it goes under Collision coverage, which is surchargeable.

The idea behind that is that it is the expectation of the driver to be in control of the car at all times, if the weather is too bad outside you should NOT be driving.

You seemed to be refering to "Weather" related damage, that only counts as if hail damaged the car or a snow drift came off the roof of the house and crushed the car, or lightning hit it. Its often refered to Comprehensive or Other than Collision.

Now this is the new thing coming down the insurance pipeline and some people may have an issue on how it applies.

Surcharge points dont really exsist any more. They do but they dont. I will explain why. Every insurance company is required to the file with the state they do biz in. We have to have set rates to maintain profitability and make sure we dont take too much, nor too little.

In every state there is a damage threshold that has to be exceeded before surcharging. Not all accidents exceed this limit, useually its a combo of bodily injury and property damage, both parties, or one in your "case" Some states count the deductible in the threshold, some dont.

Regardless, every company has now decided to Tier customes, this is a combonation of a insurance score and accident history. Insurance score takes into consideration credit history, consumer reports etc etc. Accident hist is the other.

I have had many customers not get "surcharged" but tiered for having a AFA = At Fault Accident, or even Multiple NAF = Not At Fault accidents, Statistically it has been proven that if some one has a AFA, the chances of repeating is greater over one who has never had one.

Sorry for the long winded answer but you need to know, your going to pay for it, most companies surcharge for 5 years and tier based on the last 5 years of driving history.

Also please dont be fraudulant in the claim, some adjusters know their ****, no police report is hard to fight.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

In other words, Marco: "You are fucked." (especially in Ma., unless you can find a crooked police officer in Ma. that will file a bogus report for you, which is very feasible...) i.e. the movie: "The Departed" (made right in Boston, SEE it if you already haven't!) WJ
Old 12-28-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

ok i got the answer i needed
Old 12-28-2006, 10:44 PM
Launching!

What if you total your car at a drag strip? Will any insurance company pay for some of it? How would you file a claim? Is there such a thing as "Drag Racing" insurance for the weekend warrior? Maybe I'm dreaming.

Thanks...
Old 12-28-2006, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

I am curious too
Old 12-29-2006, 06:16 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by 99Andrew
What if you total your car at a drag strip? Will any insurance company pay for some of it? How would you file a claim? Is there such a thing as "Drag Racing" insurance for the weekend warrior? Maybe I'm dreaming.

Thanks...

No insurance for racing, if you wreck it, your screwed.

There is an insurance for race cars, basically will cover it like a normal policy, will cover for the value of the car based on what is invested, I beleive its Stated Amount.

BUT the car is covered until it gets to the starting line, and then it stops, it re activated after you get on the return road. Its closest to race car insurance as you can get.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the information. That "race car" insurance is strange but logical. Guess no wants to insurance you when you're flying down the 1/4...
Old 12-29-2006, 10:30 AM
Internet Mechanic

Well think of it this way. I got a 50-100k invested in a car and you transport it on a trailer and say something bad happens like the trailer comes on hitched or a semi hits the trailer and totals the car, this is where the insurance is key. Or another good example, you have a fire in the garage or house and it burns taking the car. You need that stated amount.