Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Took the plunge

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Took the plunge

Welp Its all coming together. I finally got my LS1 late last year, I parted most of the LT1 out. I have a couple of larger items left to go.

My plan for this car is not to go ***** out and mod the hell out of it. I did it on the last one and spent waaaay to much money on a goal. I pretty much burnt myself out. This one is going to be much simplier. If I reach this goal, then I will re evaluate.

I want....

400 rwhp, keep the 6 speed, make it driveable and fun. Keep the creature comforts. Take it on long trips when I want to. Pop the T tops off. Run a decent time at the track, i.e. 11.99 or quicker.

What I have done so far....

I kept my Moser 12 bolt from the Camaro, the axles have been sent to Moser to have the ABS exciter rings machined and pressed on. I will run on the 3.42's for now and when the time comes move to either a 4.10 or 4.30's depending on my goal. Also note I have a Denny's 3" steel N20 ready DS goin in.

I have kept all my BMR suspenion peices from the camaro. Adjustible TQ arm, Pan hard rod, Rear LCA, and the Moser already has the weld on relocation brackets on it! The only thing I need is a set of SFC to stiffen the car up.

Already installed is a SLP flowpack kit, since the car is non-ram air, I get the whole deal. Clean and simple. I am hoping to dyno soon to see the gain.

Also kept from the camaro was a Corsa exhaust which will be done when the rear is done, it was all welded together, so it will be easiest to do then.

I took the plunge this afternoon and bought the Super Maxx kit from Dynatech for a really good price and this includes everything except o2 extensions. I am going to make this to the catted Y and my corsa.

So when the season starts, I will have a car with intake and full exhaust, suspension and 12 bolt rollin on M/T ET Street radials. I plan on heat wrappin the clutch line, changing the fluids.

Later on I have a few things more to do, a after market clutch, SFC, Cam, and VFN ws6 hood. The cam is going to be a TR230/236-112 LSA, on stock heads. Later on I may upgrade. I beleive with a dyno tune I will hit it.

For now im going to get a 2nd job to pay off the extra mod bills and go from there. The soon its paid off the quicker I can do the other stuff.

Anyone wanna make a guess on the hp # before and after, also the track #'s. I am a decent driver but can't really guage on the tires since its been sooooo cold. Mind you I dont have stock dyno since the kit went on but Noyzee's friend's who were the owner's of the car ran 13.4-13.5 @ 104-105 @ NED.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:30 AM
8 second mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Welp Its all coming together. I finally got my LS1 late last year, I parted most of the LT1 out. I have a couple of larger items left to go.

My plan for this car is not to go ***** out and mod the hell out of it. I did it on the last one and spent waaaay to much money on a goal. I pretty much burnt myself out. This one is going to be much simplier. If I reach this goal, then I will re evaluate.

I want....

400 rwhp, keep the 6 speed, make it driveable and fun. Keep the creature comforts. Take it on long trips when I want to. Pop the T tops off. Run a decent time at the track, i.e. 11.99 or quicker.

What I have done so far....

I kept my Moser 12 bolt from the Camaro, the axles have been sent to Moser to have the ABS exciter rings machined and pressed on. I will run on the 3.42's for now and when the time comes move to either a 4.10 or 4.30's depending on my goal. Also note I have a Denny's 3" steel N20 ready DS goin in.

I have kept all my BMR suspenion peices from the camaro. Adjustible TQ arm, Pan hard rod, Rear LCA, and the Moser already has the weld on relocation brackets on it! The only thing I need is a set of SFC to stiffen the car up.

Already installed is a SLP flowpack kit, since the car is non-ram air, I get the whole deal. Clean and simple. I am hoping to dyno soon to see the gain.

Also kept from the camaro was a Corsa exhaust which will be done when the rear is done, it was all welded together, so it will be easiest to do then.

I took the plunge this afternoon and bought the Super Maxx kit from Dynatech for a really good price and this includes everything except o2 extensions. I am going to make this to the catted Y and my corsa.

So when the season starts, I will have a car with intake and full exhaust, suspension and 12 bolt rollin on M/T ET Street radials. I plan on heat wrappin the clutch line, changing the fluids.

Later on I have a few things more to do, a after market clutch, SFC, Cam, and VFN ws6 hood. The cam is going to be a TR230/236-112 LSA, on stock heads. Later on I may upgrade. I beleive with a dyno tune I will hit it.

For now im going to get a 2nd job to pay off the extra mod bills and go from there. The soon its paid off the quicker I can do the other stuff.

Anyone wanna make a guess on the hp # before and after, also the track #'s. I am a decent driver but can't really guage on the tires since its been sooooo cold. Mind you I dont have stock dyno since the kit went on but Noyzee's friend's who were the owner's of the car ran 13.4-13.5 @ 104-105 @ NED.
that car was run like 4 times or somthing stupid like that every time was 13.4 then lou's girlfriend drove and went 13.5 car was strong from day 1 a set of tires on that thing it would have gone bottom 13's possably 12's.

good luck with it. just dont go to nuts
Old 02-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Noyzee
that car was run like 4 times or somthing stupid like that every time was 13.4 then lou's girlfriend drove and went 13.5 car was strong from day 1 a set of tires on that thing it would have gone bottom 13's possably 12's.

good luck with it. just dont go to nuts
Thats exactly the plan. Since im not rebuying everything its nice. When I want to build a race car i know ill be callin yea
Old 02-19-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Who did you end up getting them from? Fyi the super max kit comes with o2 extensions. Unless maybe you picked it up used.

I want the temp to go up a few degrees so I can install my super maxx's...
Old 02-20-2007, 06:11 AM
Internet Mechanic

I went to New Era, they had a killer deal that couldnt even be touched. You know what I checked after, they come with them. I was assuming but then I read a GMHTP artical where it was the same kit and it came with everything.

When I do the rear. I will just jack the car wayyyyyy up on 4 jack stands and do it all at once.

Shouldn't take long, I've done these headers on a friends car and I have done the Moser swap 2x. Just want it done right.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 02-20-2007 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you got a good plan. 400hp though a m6 is cake, and you won't hurt drivability. With a half decent set of $1000 heads and a much smaller cam you could hit those #'s too. Lot's of ways to go about it. I like your cam choice though and think you will be close with that.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Internet Mechanic

Yea my best friend did 420 through a ESP1 in his z28, it's inspired me to do the same. With this car driveability/fun is definitly a factor. Thats why I want the CATS on the Dynatech system with the Corsa, otherwise it sound like my old car which was ok but after a while it got old.

http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/~scr...whp%20dyno.WMV

With the TR cam its got enough lift where heads will show a decent gain again. Every post I have found said the cam does over 400. Now if I can do this through the 12 bolt and n2o ready 3" steel DS, that be really cool. Also a ASP UD will go on when I do the cam since your doing the job already.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Yea my best friend did 420 through a ESP1 in his z28, it's inspired me to do the same. With this car driveability/fun is definitly a factor. Thats why I want the CATS on the Dynatech system with the Corsa, otherwise it sound like my old car which was ok but after a while it got old.

http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/~scr...whp%20dyno.WMV

With the TR cam its got enough lift where heads will show a decent gain again. Every post I have found said the cam does over 400. Now if I can do this through the 12 bolt and n2o ready 3" steel DS, that be really cool. Also a ASP UD will go on when I do the cam since your doing the job already.
With the TR cam and all the bolt on's including a FAST 90, you will hit 400 or close to it. I honestly like my car better with the cats in it, but it makes a difference at the track when I take them out.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Internet Mechanic

Chef mentioned in a different post about gaining under the curve but not seeing much of a peak difference, thats why the car is faster at the track, low and mid range. My car may see the track 3 times or 30 times. All depends if im still improving and if the weather is good. The car is primarily a street car that will see track use on occasion. I used to street race but thats going the way of the Dinosaurs. I did get a chance to see a Corsa on a stock 98 LS1 with stock cats, it had a very nice sound so I expect close to the same.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah I'm following your same general plan, with the exception I like it loud , But I don't D/D it.

My car is not a top end car at all either. A4's never are to begin with, but my cam/head choice is done so with making the most of the curve. I could care less about peak numbers, I'd rather run in the 10's w/ 400 hp and ask the 500hp guy why he's still in the 11's

Oh yeah the corsa sounds good, fairly refined, but still good.

If I were to do it again, I'd leave the stock exhaust on and go with the cutout or duel cutout option, more than likely.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:05 PM

With these cars you can do so many things to them and still daily drive them, my goals with my WS6 was to be able to do ANY form of racing with a rim and tire change and i think i have accomplished that goal, drag racing is my favorite, but i have had alot of fun autoXing and this year plan to make some laps at limeRock, after i get the detroit locker swapped out i will be good to go
Old 02-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=DannoWS6]I'd rather run in the 10's w/ 400 hp and ask the 500hp guy why he's still in the 11's QUOTE]

my motto right there.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

sounds like a good plan..I'm sorta going the same way just a little more cam...I will be swaping out a set of 4.11's with about 300 miles on them for 3.73's in about a month or so if your interested... $100
Old 02-21-2007, 06:22 AM
Internet Mechanic

Danno: I like it loud too but like a LM, you really can't quiet down a Corsa, you have to add CATS's The only saving grace was at idle it was very quiet to the point where I could have a converation. The stock sounds good but not good enough

Chef: I completely agree, set a goal and go for it. Yea for auto xing, I wouldnt be Detroit Lockin it lol.

JL: Change your sig then.

Ws6: I'll let yea know about that. Since I moved up the exhaust plans, I have to wait on everything else, esp a ws6 hood.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:30 AM
12 Second Club

I'm sure once theyre laying around not being used I'll probably next to give them away......anyway good luck with the ride, i'm hoping to start wrenching sunday and maybe have the motor in next sunay
Old 02-21-2007, 06:36 AM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=BlackScreaminMachine]Danno: I like it loud too but like a LM, you really can't quiet down a Corsa, you have to add CATS's The only saving grace was at idle it was very quiet to the point where I could have a converation. The stock sounds good but not good enough QUOTE]

Hmm I didn't think my friends corsa was that loud, definately quieter than a LM or GMMG or even a Magnaflow.

Side story,
I was at work this fall and it was getting pretty cold out. I took the car to work that day and when I went to leave, I fired it up my cummuting buddy fricken jumped and while it warmed up the whole north side of the building was staring at me. No CATS is loud.

Then one time I went to a bed n' breakfast in Hyannis, fired up the car in the morning and about 5 car alarms went off in the lot, kinda embarrassing at 7 in the morning.

It's time like this I wish I had a cutout. Never mind driving up hill under lockup speed and having a cop right on your ***. Pulling like 4 grand just to get outta your own way and you know that cop is getting an earfull.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:07 AM
Race your car!

But that feeling when you lean on it a little and you're instantly into the powerband bacause of the converter,is priceless
Old 02-21-2007, 07:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
But that feeling when you lean on it a little and you're instantly into the powerband bacause of the converter,is priceless
Yeah it is, beleive me it's not stopping me from getting a bigger converter this year at all It will be pretty loose for a little bit untill I swap the rear.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Race your car!

what you have in the rear for gears now? 3.42 will make the converter feel looser then 3.73 would if that's what you mean.

My converter will go strait to 5800 at any speed in any gear, with 4.10's... so I knwo what you mean. gonna ahve to tighten it up some this year I think.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Internet Mechanic

Come on Jay. be fearless.