Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Do I fight the ticket? MA State Police

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do I fight the ticket? MA State Police

Ok, I'll make this short, just trying to get some oppinions,
Got on Rt3 south in NH, crossed over the boarder and was in the far right lane. I was being passed by a Camry and a silver Ram pickup (the pickup was really moving) and saw the trooper in the median facing south with the rear of the car facing us. The Dodge slammed on the brakes and ended up slowing down so by the time we passed the trooper we were all even. The dodge then took off and the Camry got in front of me.
Guess who gets pulled over.... I was doing 70, which is over the 55 limit, but he said I was doing 79 (no way!). He also asked me what I did for work and where I worked, I thought that was very strange and not really important. Of course I got the where are you going questions etc...I wasn't rude, didn't argue and just said thanks when he handed me the ticket for $240.00
There have been plenty of times I've deserved a ticket, but this isn't one of them, at least not for 79. I would not even flinch if it was for 70.
So...what do you guys think? I think he saw a red trans am and thought that would be the easiest target, especially since I didn't speed up after like veryone else.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can get the time off of work , you should appeal all tickets . Often they are reduced , or you could appeal the hearing and see a judge .

I appeal all tickets .
Good luck
Old 02-24-2007, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

240 bucks aint bad. Just ask the judge to make it a non-moving violation.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

a lot of cops are dicks and just bc they can't have a bad *** car they cherry pick cars out of the crowd expecially your shiny red doesn't help. its BS
Old 02-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

fight it till the death!!!
Old 02-24-2007, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

a buddy and I got pta's for racing and care in starting a few years back coming home from lvd on the mass pike, the trooper wasnt doing radar, just waiting for a transport,
We did get up to about 115 but he saw us about a 1/2 mile later at 65-70, I was in my ws6 and my buddy had his lightning so we automatically were street racing.. after sitting for an hour we got our pta's..our lawyer showed us the troopers statement..what a bunch of BS...he asked us why we had helmets..I repiled we were at the race track..he asked do you go there often..i said yes...in the statement the trooper said that he could hear wagers being discussed,we stopped dead on the pike, visually estimated our speed at 100+mph, and when asked about street racing I replied "we do it all the time"..it took 4 months of court, $1000, and 8 hours of driver retraining, and I cant drive in the state ....I say fight it man..I really hate Mass
Old 02-24-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Most Ma. Staties are real decent guys, UNLESS they catch you racing, or you give them any lip at all....If the guy was decent to you, and you to him, I would appeal the speeding ticket if your previous record is good--if you've got a bunch of scars already for speeding, the Magistrate usually won't do much for you at the hearing...........WJ
Old 02-24-2007, 05:46 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by digitalbird
fight it till the death!!!
do it! dont let them on you
Old 02-24-2007, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

If the cop dont show up you win! so heres hoping he's busy that day!
Old 02-24-2007, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
Most Ma. Staties are real decent guys, UNLESS they catch you racing, or you give them any lip at all....If the guy was decent to you, and you to him, I would appeal the speeding ticket if your previous record is good--if you've got a bunch of scars already for speeding, the Magistrate usually won't do much for you at the hearing...........WJ
I gave him no lip, I've never had even a parking ticket, and he didn't even turn his lights on until I was off an offramp onto a secondary road, I never left the far right lane of traffic, so he had to catch up to me, meaning he had to drive at least 2 miles at a high rate of speed without his lights on in rush hour traffic. He was a jerk though, and kept asking me where I worked, nevef where I was coming from. I have met a few State Troopers myself and they were always very nice, this guy was just in a bad mood for some reason. I've been pulled over before and have gotten a warning, those were times I deserved at ticket and would have just paid it. This time I wasn't the guy doing 79, and I wasn't going to argue with him about it.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Fight it.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Bummer, Phil.

Probably wouldn't have helped the situation to tell him that you're in the drug business. Definitely fight it. Tell it like it is, and you should come out all right.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

were you at applebees in drum hill a few nights ago?

lol but ya if you fight it, jsut make sure you admit you were speeding. Chances are you are gonna eb at the lowell district court, and if you get the lady magistrate just be real ncie and say you were speeding and you were wrong and sorry and ****. Dont even say u were going 70 not 79, cuz she HATES ti when people say "I didnt do it" trust me lol. She reduced a $460 speeding ticket for me to $230 just cuz I was honest about it.

Good luck
-Scott
Old 02-26-2007, 10:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Always fight it. No matter what.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:13 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Tough chance. That road sucks, always cops on it, especially at the NH/MA border.

Fight it, I fight every one I get.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

NH cop? if so you wont being to lowell to fight it and NH cops suck soo good luck.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Cops ususally schedule all there tickets one one day. And they have that as there "court day". So good luck with him not showing up. But always fight it. Like others said it could get lowered.

And if everyone showed up to court insted of just paying it. It would cripple the system they wouldn't be able to handle all the cases. They would have to stop giving tickets. Who knows maybe it will work. Its a theory.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by digitalbird
If the cop dont show up you win! so heres hoping he's busy that day!
Yea that's a big maybe,they always show up like *******'s.If you go to court get a lawyer i always get one and they get me out of everything.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tracer X
Always fight it. No matter what.
TRUE!!!

Also, just state that you were in the right lane with other traffic passing you on the left and you knew you were not going the stated 79 MPH. Its enough doubt, that you should have no problem. No radar or laser can get you accurately in that situation (with him in the median)

One option (at least in MD) is to mark it guilty with an explanation. They give you a court date and the cop isn't there. Then you explain it to the judge. They will take into account that you have no other moving violations and give you PBJ (probation before judgement). Just don't get a ticket in the next three years! At the very least, they'll reduce the ticket and maybe save you some points (worth it on the insurance side).

Last edited by JDubs; 03-04-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if there were other cars next to you like you say its possible he clocked another car instead of you and assumed it was you going 79.

he most likely asked you where you work because he wanted to know if a ticket would get you in trouble with your employer. most cops dont want you to lose your license or your job unless youre an idiot and/or have a bad driving record. at least in my experience.

id get a lawyer. it looks like you have a case for getting it dismissed or at least have your ticket reduced.