Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Hampton Roads People. In Here...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I1ULUZ
While you are in there maybe toss in a new set of lifters too.
Oh yeah, I would definitely do that otherwise you could be doing this if one collapses Thats alot of work, and NOT doing that just doesn't make sense unless they are fairly new and upgraded.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:59 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Yeah man, had TAPS class last week, and I didnt really feel like leaving the house this weekend so I didnt come out. I will next week though if the weather holds. You gotta a PM too Mike.

So when is the final date??? Man I wish I was to that point. I guess I will stick with it though. I'm at the halfway point so hopefully it will go by quickly. I had the weekend off, the wife was out of town. Saturday was a good day. Had alot of fun. You coming out this weekend????
Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by g-ryde1
had no problem using header studs this weekend with the stock k-member headers went straight in no snags or exhaust leaks whatsoever. I would suggest ARP header studs to neone doing header swaps so much easier to hang the gasket and the headers with the studs.
I've got 1 7/8 headers and BMR K member so it wasn't a problem on mine. I got the studs from McMaster-Carr along with flanged nuts for cheaper than the ARP setup.

I didn't know if the stock K member would get in the way or not, I know my headers will fall out if I don't have them hanging on the studs.

Don't forget studs only have to be finger tight when you put them in the head. I would use some anti-seize on them too.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, i just want to thank Ben and chauncey for all the help (and tools) this weekend with my gears. definatly would have been up a creak though if chauncey didnt show up when he did with the tools and know-how!! Havent gotten on it yet as i am waiting till they are broken in properly, but i can tell u that 1st gear is really short and highway cruising is definatly louder! Im thinking Ben, i might need to re-shim from what ive been reading about noise. U should come over this weekend and go for a ride and see what u think, its not crazy loud but thier is definatly some noise when i let off the gas doind 35+.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Originally Posted by KONG
So when is the final date??? Man I wish I was to that point. I guess I will stick with it though. I'm at the halfway point so hopefully it will go by quickly. I had the weekend off, the wife was out of town. Saturday was a good day. Had alot of fun. You coming out this weekend????
yep, planning on it. My EAS is December 8th... I'll probably sell back a couple days since I have so many extra, My terminal will probably commence Nov 12th or so... nothing in stone yet.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by I1ULUZ
I've got 1 7/8 headers and BMR K member so it wasn't a problem on mine. I got the studs from McMaster-Carr along with flanged nuts for cheaper than the ARP setup.

I didn't know if the stock K member would get in the way or not, I know my headers will fall out if I don't have them hanging on the studs.

Don't forget studs only have to be finger tight when you put them in the head. I would use some anti-seize on them too.
only issue i really had was I had to remove the steering knuckle and they slid right in.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Originally Posted by gyrene2003
Well, i just want to thank Ben and chauncey for all the help (and tools) this weekend with my gears. definatly would have been up a creak though if chauncey didnt show up when he did with the tools and know-how!! Havent gotten on it yet as i am waiting till they are broken in properly, but i can tell u that 1st gear is really short and highway cruising is definatly louder! Im thinking Ben, i might need to re-shim from what ive been reading about noise. U should come over this weekend and go for a ride and see what u think, its not crazy loud but thier is definatly some noise when i let off the gas doind 35+.
those motives will whine some but I do want to take a listen and check it out. The backlash was dead at .010 which is actually towards the loose side so it shouldnt, but somehting may have worked itself around in there that needs to be adjusted. How many miles have you put on them so far???
Old 08-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Dont act like you know what you are doing under the hood of a car, or in your case a truck. who likes trucks anyway? lol. anyway dont forget about the first week of september, i am going to need your help.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Honestly, I wouldn't do that. A thinner headgasket is more than enough to improve quench and raise compression a bit. Milling heads causes you to make adjustments in other places which causes you to spend more money. make sure you do your research. Also, what cam are you running?? If it is a decent size cam then you might have PTV clearance to worry about and then headgasket selection becomes critical. Also if you mill to far there could be some valve shrouding issues. What head castings are you do the swap with?? Just curious and trying to help.
the cam is a 224 cam on a 112lsa, so im not worried about PTV with a lil milling. If just throwing on a thinner head gasket will do the trick, then i will do that. i had never really thought about milling them until i talked to kyle and he mentioned it. im going to be reading about my options, and listening to other peoples ideas, since i wont have the heads until the weekend anyway. the heads are off a 00 Z28, but i dont really have much choice since i dont have $1500 lying around to drop on some heads. ill think about the lifters and stuff, and i have been thinking about just holding off and picking up a bigger cam since it would be cake to do that while were doing the heads...
Old 08-13-2007, 12:01 PM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Originally Posted by 01mustaro
Dont act like you know what you are doing under the hood of a car, or in your case a truck. who likes trucks anyway? lol. anyway dont forget about the first week of september, i am going to need your help.

ok nancy boy.... whatever you say... :GTFO:
Old 08-13-2007, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
those motives will whine some but I do want to take a listen and check it out. The backlash was dead at .010 which is actually towards the loose side so it shouldnt, but somehting may have worked itself around in there that needs to be adjusted. How many miles have you put on them so far???
Well, as far as the miles go, im not sure how off i am, but the trip reads like 238 cause i drove around a **** load on sunday, so it might actually be just under 200. So, yeah come on over this weekend and check the **** out.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

to figure your mileage, take the percentage the gear changed from stock, then apply that same ratio to your mileage.... so the difference in the 3.23's to the 3.90's would be the same differentiation as 'X' to your 238 miles. I dont have time right this second to figure it up for you but thats how.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, as far as the miles go, im not sure how off i am, but the trip reads like 238 cause i drove around a **** load on sunday, so it might actually be just under 200. So, yeah come on over this weekend and check the **** out.
when are you gonna get the speedo recalibrated?
Old 08-13-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

Give me a call sometime this week, and I can do the re-cal for you. Tomorrow or Wednesday evening work for me if you have the time then (I'll be on this side of the water). Otherwise I'll be out at va speed if you want to make the trip out there.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
the cam is a 224 cam on a 112lsa, so im not worried about PTV with a lil milling. If just throwing on a thinner head gasket will do the trick, then i will do that. i had never really thought about milling them until i talked to kyle and he mentioned it. im going to be reading about my options, and listening to other peoples ideas, since i wont have the heads until the weekend anyway. the heads are off a 00 Z28, but i dont really have much choice since i dont have $1500 lying around to drop on some heads. ill think about the lifters and stuff, and i have been thinking about just holding off and picking up a bigger cam since it would be cake to do that while were doing the heads...
00 Z28's still have 853 castings don't they?? .040 cometic are optimal for unmilled factory type cyl head. If you go bigger in the cam department make sure you get a pushrod length checker too. It will save you some headaches. GM LS7 lifters are good replacements and cheap. LS6 oil pumps are awesome and cheap. Your car really doesn't need a high flow pump, its a gimick to help sell ****. The factory did it right the first time. What springs do you use now??? You will need doubles if you go bigger on the cam, if you already dont have them. LS7 timing chains are cheap also. Chevrolet dealerships carry them for $50.00 I believe. Keep us updated man, let me know if you need any assistance
Old 08-13-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

00 Z28's still have 853 castings don't they?? .040 cometic are optimal for unmilled factory type cyl head. If you go bigger in the cam department make sure you get a pushrod length checker too. It will save you some headaches. GM LS7 lifters are good replacements and cheap. LS6 oil pumps are awesome and cheap. Your car really doesn't need a high flow pump, its a gimick to help sell ****. The factory did it right the first time. What springs do you use now??? You will need doubles if you go bigger on the cam, if you already dont have them. LS7 timing chains are cheap also. Chevrolet dealerships carry them for $50.00 I believe. Keep us updated man, let me know if you need any assistance
were swapping his heads on sunday if you wanna help with that

im not planning on a bigger cam unless i have to get new springs for some reason (if i mess something up and cant swap them over). if i have to change anything in the valve train, ill get a bigger cam. im thinking of the ls7 lifters since theyre only 100 bucks, and if a timing chain is only 50 bucks i might as well grab that too. i posted a thread in the internal section about milling them and stuff. and yes, 00's have 853 heads also.

i jsut need to figure out where im going to do my heads at...my car is in NN at my apt, and i dont know if the hobby shop on base will let me do the swap there (they didnt want us to do a clutch bc it mightve taken too long), so im not sure where im going to do it at.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im sure james or dickey wont mind it being done at his house.... i had my car there for over 3 months.... and since youre taking the heads from james car, it would make it easier if your car was there. call josh and see if he can tow the car to his james house. his number is 650-1175.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

Do you know for sure if his has the 853's? My 2000 T/A has the 241 heads on it. I thought I had the crummy heads but I checked it out one day and found that it did have the 241's in fact.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

everything i read said it had 853s, only way to find out is to look at them i guess...
Old 08-13-2007, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
were swapping his heads on sunday if you wanna help with that

im not planning on a bigger cam unless i have to get new springs for some reason (if i mess something up and cant swap them over). if i have to change anything in the valve train, ill get a bigger cam. im thinking of the ls7 lifters since theyre only 100 bucks, and if a timing chain is only 50 bucks i might as well grab that too. i posted a thread in the internal section about milling them and stuff. and yes, 00's have 853 heads also.

i jsut need to figure out where im going to do my heads at...my car is in NN at my apt, and i dont know if the hobby shop on base will let me do the swap there (they didnt want us to do a clutch bc it mightve taken too long), so im not sure where im going to do it at.

Not trying to but in to the conversation and throw peoples names out thier but Silver-Mod-o (Ben) that drives the nasty truck works at the hobby shop at *** just across the HRBT and he is pretty tight with the boss man thier and i was able to stay like 3 1/2 hours past closing to get my gears done on saterday and i know he helped phil replace his clutch thier, so if u can get ur car thier im sure thats a safe place to do it.

Quick Reply: Hampton Roads People. In Here...