Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Motorcycles for big guys?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motorcycles for big guys?

Alright I need some advice...what motorcycle would be best for someone who is 6'8" 260 pounds? I have been looking to pick one up but Ive only been on an R1 and a Hayabusa 1300 and both are a little too fast for my taste. I fit alright on the R1 and I heard that the R6 is built on the same frame as the R1, just a smaller engine and tank. Any other suggestions as I havent been able to go and really test drive any and would like any opinions on what bikes have bigger frames. Thanks and any info would be appreciated!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:20 AM
8 second mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my buddy is about your size, maybe a tad taller. he road a kawwi 1200
anything else, he looked like maggila gorilla

he did ride a Harley as well with forward controls and highway pegs and ape hangers, and that wasnt bad either
Old 05-02-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Your better checking out all the bikes and seeing which one your more comfortable on.

I suggest getting a cruiser unless your stuck on getting a sportbike
Old 05-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

is the ZX14 that kawi makes any bigger then the normal ones? I know the busa is bigger then a 1000... but you're back to that insano-speed thing with the zx14
Old 05-02-2007, 09:33 AM
8 second mod

if your a normal person with self control, unlike myself, who cares how fast it is, as long as you use it wisely, unlike i would. lol
Old 05-02-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Yea im kinda set on a jap bike as Im not sold on the cruiser bikes yet. I will check out the kawasaki bikes but I was trying to stay away from the liter+ bikes as this will be my first real bike and i dont want to dump a 10K+ bike my first few weeks of having it. Only reason that I havent gone on a test ride is that im still waiting on my motorcycle license. I will have some free time next month to get the classes done, but im not sure if it will be worth it if I cant find the type of bike im looking for. Haha im trying my hardest to be sensible about this and not picking up a liter bike but I might have to go that route if I dont fit on any others.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Noyzee
if your a normal person with self control, unlike myself, who cares how fast it is, as long as you use it wisely, unlike i would. lol

See thats the issue, I know if I get a liter bike im screwed as I will be flying around like a maniac. I know r6's and gsxr 600's are fast too, but the R1, gsxr 1000, zx14, hayabusas, etc are SCARY fast and im not sure if I would be able to hold back. Plus, there is no way for me to fall softly haha.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Suzuki SV1000S is an interesting bike. It has a small fairing for the sporty look but you're not in a crouch like a race bike. The 1 liter V twin engine is more tuned for cruising than racing so accidental wheelies or high sides, etc aren't an issue like it could be for a beginner on an R1.

Unfortunately dealers usually don't let you test drive new bikes. I started out by sitting on a lot of bikes at dealerships. At least you know if you fit the bike or not.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by massls1guy
The Suzuki SV1000S is an interesting bike. It has a small fairing for the sporty look but you're not in a crouch like a race bike. The 1 liter V twin engine is more tuned for cruising than racing so accidental wheelies or high sides, etc aren't an issue like it could be for a beginner on an R1.

Unfortunately dealers usually don't let you test drive new bikes. I started out by sitting on a lot of bikes at dealerships. At least you know if you fit the bike or not.

Thats a good idea and I will def check it out on teh suzuki website to see if I like the styling. Yea one of my major concerns are accidental wheelies as when i had my buddies hayabusa out I went full throttle and almost ended up on my back haha. Only thing is Im looking for a fairly inexpensive used bike. I dont mind paying 5K-6K for a few year old bike in good shape (why i was looking at the r6 and gsxr 600 too), but if the bikes start going over 8K im almost better off getting another f-body for my speed fix.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stop by a dealer and look at them.I agree that it won't be smart to get a liter bike as a first bike.They are not forgiven and 1 wrong hit on the throttle can throw you to the pavement fast. 600's are the best because they are lazy in the low rpm area,perfect for begginers.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:45 PM
8 Second Club

Just got a 07 Busa and its great!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=98Z28MASS]Thats a good idea and I will def check it out on teh suzuki website to see if I like the styling. Yea one of my major concerns are accidental wheelies as when i had my buddies hayabusa out I went full throttle and almost ended up on my back haha. Only thing is Im looking for a fairly inexpensive used bike. I dont mind paying 5K-6K for a few year old bike in good shape (why i was looking at the r6 and gsxr 600 too),QUOTE]

I'm a little confused, do you have any riding experience at all? it really dosent matter how fast a bike is. it only goes as fast as you want it to. im 6'5 1/2 and i have a fitiment issue i had a 06 r1 wich fit me perfect and i now have a 06 zx10 with fits me perfect after a set of rearsets as well. since you are even taller than me id deffinatly check out a 04-06 r1 00-05 zx12r. or the zx14. they are comfortable as your gonna get on a crotch rocket. yes the power is there but if you are getting your friends busa full throttle??? ride it around slowly get going about 40 or so and put it 6th and just cruise to get used to it. i personally from experience say a 600 is plenty fast enough but they are to small frame wise and youll get cramped quick . if you are not comfortable you probally wont do much riding on it and probally look like a moron because the bike is to small for you. and 50 on a 600 and 50 on a 1000 is still the same just use common sense and youll be ok.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

99zman -you have to think back when you started to ride.Yes,a big bike is better for his size but they are less forgiving.A problem with the bigger bikes is the throttle response,they make alot more torque down low.People like us that have ridden for a long time never think about it but new guy's can get scared or get arm lock and accidently whack the gas too much and lose control of the bike. I've seen way too many new riders crash bad on big bikes simply because it caught them off guard.
Start with a smaller bike and get experience,then move up to whatever you want.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Yea I appreciate all the info guys and I will def check out a ton of bikes before purchasing one. 99zman, I have pretty much no riding experience at all. I have taken my buddies hayabusa out and my gf's brothers R1 (just around my neighborhood and a huge access road/parking lot) and honestly like Don said the R1 and busa just had such wicked throttle response that I nearly tossed myself off the bike. Granted I could leave it in 6th and cruise around on a liter bike but id rather have a less expensive/less powerful bike to start with. Again, only issue with that is most of the smaller CC bikes usually have smaller frames. I def wont be jumping into buying a bike as I want something that i will be able to learn on and keep around for a while. I hopefully can start the classes towards my motorcycle license next month and then i will go from there, just wanted to see if there are any small CC bikes I should look at in particular due to my size. I appreciate all the info though and if any other bikes pop into mind def let me know. BTW Don did you sell your R1 yet?
Old 05-02-2007, 01:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Nope,still have my GSXR1000. Guess I'll just have to ride it this year.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Nope,still have my GSXR1000. Guess I'll just have to ride it this year.

Oops my bad, I thought you had a liter bike though that you were looking to sell. If you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for your gixxer?
Old 05-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Launching!

just an fyi an r1 is a bit slower out the hole then r6 but the top end is a differnt story... i have an 05 r1... and for the poster that said it's to fast... remember it's all in the wrist and you can kill yourself on a 100cc bike anyday...... PS do yourself a favor and take a MSF course and dress to fall... best of luck and ride safe
Old 05-02-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98ws61le
just an fyi an r1 is a bit slower out the hole then r6 but the top end is a differnt story... i have an 05 r1... and for the poster that said it's to fast... remember it's all in the wrist and you can kill yourself on a 100cc bike anyday...... PS do yourself a favor and take a MSF course and dress to fall... best of luck and ride safe

Yea I will def be doing the courses for my motorcycle license and some motorcycle safety courses once I get a bike. I have seen a few of my friends get royaly fucked up on their bikes from being idiots and have done so without the appropriate gear so i def will make sure to wear clothes suitable to fall in (no shorts and t-shirts lol). Out of curiosity what makes the r1 slower out of the hole than an r6? Is it due to gearing?
Old 05-02-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Windmill Cycles in North Dartmouth has a **** load of used crotch rockets. Go down there and check them out.

Just don't buy a bike from them because they are way over priced!!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it seems used bikes (2 years old, 5,000 miles) are 500.00 - 1,000.00 less than new and dealers wont budge. i'm sure when people trade a bike in they are getting raped. that's a dealer for you.

like other people said, the bike is as fast as your stupid....dont be stupid if you cant handle it. have someone de-tune it or something and take 50% of the power away. i don't know, that's a tough one. you would sure look funny on a 600.