Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Smashed Rice

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Smashed Rice

RIALTO, Calif. - Charles Hoang winced when the whoosh went out of the tires. Daniel Maldonado took pictures with a digital camera as glass exploded and rained down to the ground.

The cars the teens had so meticulously souped up and tricked out were crushed Wednesday as part of a crackdown on illegal street racing in Southern California.

"That's my heart, my dream," said Hoang, 18, of Chino, who was surrounded by friends as his 1998 Acura Integra was put into a compactor. "That's my girlfriend, the love of my life. The cops can crush my car, but they can't crush my memories."

Authorities destroyed six vehicles Wednesday at an auto graveyard, hoping would-be racers think again after looking at the mashed machines. Illegal street racing is responsible for or suspected in 13 deaths in Southern California since March.

The thrill-seeking, adrenaline-pumping activity is rampant in Riverside and San Bernardino counties east of Los Angeles where rows of tract homes line wide streets that attract racers.

Nearly 1,000 people _ drivers and spectators _ have been arrested for investigation of street racing activities over the past two years in San Bernardino County alone. Police need a court order to destroy the cars. They must prove that the serial or identification numbers on a vehicle or its parts are removed, altered or destroyed.

Police said they have managed to reduce illegal racing and related fatal collisions, but know the underground hobby still thrives.

"We are making a dent," said Ontario police Cpl. Jeff Higbee. "But it's summertime and ... we expect to see more activity."

Hoang said he was caught late last year racing his prized car, on which he spent at least $10,000 to get into top shape. The 350-horsepower engine topped out at 160 mph, Hoang said, swearing it could beat a Corvette or even a Ferrari.

When police popped open the hood, Hoang said, they found a stolen transmission. Hoang flashed a receipt for the transmission he bought from his father who runs an auto shop and doubted the item was hot.

"Everything on that car was practically brand new," Hoang said as he watched his car get moved to auto death row. "They should take out the stuff that matters, auction it off, and give the money to charity."

Because racers put heavy stress on their vehicles, they often burn out or blow up parts. Higbee said the need for the expensive parts has created a "theft mill" where additional cars _ usually Hondas or Acuras _ are stolen and stripped of the necessary replacements.

Most of the cars police examine are illegally modified. Sergio Zavala, 18, was pulled over in his 1993 yellow Honda Civic for a broken tail light in December. He had purchased a B-20 Vtech engine with a double-overhead cam a couple months before, and after a police investigation, was told it was stolen.

Zavala, who admits he's been involved in street racing, estimates he and his mother spent about $10,000 on improvements to his car.

After watching his Civic demolished, Zavala is left without a car as he plans to attend a fire academy in the fall.

"It's heartbreaking to see this," said Zavala, who graduated from high school last week. "This is where all my time and money went."

Maldonado also said he put plenty of time and effort working on his 1992 black Honda Civic. He was stopped in November by police in what Higbee described as an area where racers gather.

The 18-year-old mechanic said a vehicle identification sticker apparently fell off and without it, police suspected some of the parts were stolen. Maldonado stood several feet away from his car as it was pounded into a heap of metal.

Maldonado said he has taken the advice of police by racing legally on one of several race courses around Southern California. For the money spent in fines and other penalties _ on average about $5,000 for illegally modified cars _ Higbee said street racers could compete about 250 times a year at a legitimate track.

"If you have to race, take it to a legal venue," Higbee said. "But as long as they keep racing illegally, we keep crushing their cars."

All three men who saw their vehicles destroyed said they believe illegal street racing will continue to prosper across the region.

"It will never go away," Maldonado said. "If it's in your heart, you will continue to do it until you can't anymore."
Old 06-20-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Nostradmus-like prediction: there will still be street racing.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:47 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

******* bullshit.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:12 AM
10 Second Club

Wink

While I do think that ruling is a little harsh and possibly even bordering on unconstitutional and I certainly wouldn't want it to happen to anyone I know, the thought of those riceboys standing by watching their Honduhs get crushed flat kind of makes me just a little bit.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats sucks that their cars got destroyed, but in Cali, everyone knows that if you street race and get caught, they take your car and impound it. So who's fault is it really? The cops for doing their job, or the kids for getting caught street racing? When I was in Cali, every ******** in a honda would try and race me......to me, its not worth losing all the time and money I put into my car!!! but thats just my $.02

rob
Old 06-21-2007, 06:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i know there trying to prove a point to street racers but all its gonna do is up the antiy on how much they race for . they will still race. i think its pretty harsh what they are doing though. you wouldnt catch me out there though way to much time, money, effort put into my car and cars i had in the past to risk that . more tracks might help but doubtfull for some of the guys out there as theyll only go as fast as they have to and no clocks to see if there sandbagging or not.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

there is quite a difference between impounding someone's car, and destroying their personal property. if they killed someone, i would be less vocal.... but just the act of getting caught racing?
Old 06-21-2007, 07:25 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welp my bro's 1995 GSR was stolen over ayear ago, Im sure the engine and tranny found its way into a another car.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
i know there trying to prove a point to street racers but all its gonna do is up the antiy on how much they race for . they will still race. i think its pretty harsh what they are doing though. you wouldnt catch me out there though way to much time, money, effort put into my car and cars i had in the past to risk that . more tracks might help but doubtfull for some of the guys out there as theyll only go as fast as they have to and no clocks to see if there sandbagging or not.

I totally agree with you there. The problem is around San Diego, there is no 1/4 mile track. They used to have one, but they destroyed it. They do have two 1/8mile tracks that I know of, I suppose its better than nothing though. But either way, this law has been in effect for a while, and kids just dont get it, and they continue to street race......
Old 06-21-2007, 09:40 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No difference than authorities having the right to seize all money and assets when doing a drug raid. This just takes it one step further. They have the right to seize items used for crimes, i.e. a getaway car used during a robbery, so I'm sure that's the logic with seizing the cars used in dragracing.

Crushing the car is just their perogative to use as a deterrant.

I've said it since I've been on this site, streetracing isn't a spectator sport. If you want to race someone, there should be two people there, one driver in each car on a secluded stretch of roadway. That way if something happens and someone dies or gets injured, there are no innocent victums.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
No difference than authorities having the right to seize all money and assets when doing a drug raid. This just takes it one step further. They have the right to seize items used for crimes, i.e. a getaway car used during a robbery, so I'm sure that's the logic with seizing the cars used in dragracing.

Crushing the car is just their perogative to use as a deterrant.

I've said it since I've been on this site, streetracing isn't a spectator sport. If you want to race someone, there should be two people there, one driver in each car on a secluded stretch of roadway. That way if something happens and someone dies or gets injured, there are no innocent victums.
that i agree with completly

i can justify them to seize the car and all but crushing i think is a step to far UNLESS it did kill/injure someone then crush the thing with the owner
Old 06-21-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

i would be in jail for murdering any cop that tried to crush evl...over my dead body.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I highly doubt its going to work as a deterent.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mere childs play

Ontario is confiscating and crushing cars that didn't even street race... the only qualification... they are modified from stock... and you thought California was bad

article

TORONTO (CP) - The government has the power to seize and destroy cars that have been adapted for street racing, and can do so before a race takes place or any charges are laid, Ontario Attorney General Michael Bryant said Wednesday.
ADVERTISEMENT

Car junkies who pour thousands of dollars into their vehicles to make them as fast as possible are wasting their money, Bryant said. He warned potential racers that all it takes is a tip from police to seize and destroy their cars.

"If we can establish someone has parts and they're juicing up their car - obviously for the purpose of street racing - then we can seize those vehicles," Bryant said.

"We will seize it and you will never see it again. We will crush your car, we will crush the parts."

Bryant said cars built for street racing are as dangerous as explosives and can cause catastrophic damage.

On Monday, a truck driver was killed after a crash on Highway 400 that was blamed on speed and dangerous driving.

Prabhjit Multani, 20, and Nauman Nusrat, 19, face charges including dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death, criminal negligence causing death and criminal negligence causing death by street racing.

Ravi Badhwar, 20, has been charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle.

"This was a senseless act that cost a man his life and has left his family without a father, brother and grandfather," Ontario Provincial Police Commissioner Julian Fantino said in a release.

"There is no excuse for street racing and aggressive driving, such as the high speeds and unsafe lane changes we have seen recently."

The crash was the third major accident in four days on the busy north-south highway, and the second fatal one.

Bryant said the government has had enough of street racers, and will have no qualms about destroying their cars.

"We don't need to wait until that car hits the road fully loaded," he said.

Bryant also said the Crown has not yet decided whether to appeal the sentences of two young Toronto men who pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing death after a taxi driver was killed in a crash.

****-Piao Dumani Ross and Alexander Ryazanov, both 20, were each handed two-year conditional sentences and two years of probation for their role in the January 2006 crash.

Their lawyers said they weren't racing, although their speeding did constitute dangerous driving.
Hope they have the SEMA action network in Canada

Last edited by Rhode Island Red; 06-21-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
While I do think that ruling is a little harsh and possibly even bordering on unconstitutional
any vehicle used in a criminal enterprise, which is what the california rulings are based on, can be seized and destroyed or auctioned under most states laws. cali jsut decided to go the news making route instead of the money making route this time. there are very tight guidelines for the cars/owners this will apply to, that is why after a 6 month delay and many more street racing busts they only had 6 cars to smash.
this started a while ago, after the first few cars got whacked there was a whole big court thing, it was found to be a justifiable punishment, and the game is back on. hopefully it is a lesson learned for a few street racers out there who fear for their rides safety if they get busted.
i can't say i feel sorry for the owners of the cars. they knew what they were doing was illegal and they did it anyway, they got busted, they pay the price.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

"Hoang said he was caught late last year racing his prized car, on which he spent at least $10,000 to get into top shape. The 350-horsepower engine topped out at 160 mph, Hoang said, swearing it could beat a Corvette or even a Ferrari."

HAHAHA...... stupid ricer. " i swear it can beat a vette or ferrari.....
Old 06-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by u lose
"Hoang said he was caught late last year racing his prized car, on which he spent at least $10,000 to get into top shape. The 350-horsepower engine topped out at 160 mph, Hoang said, swearing it could beat a Corvette or even a Ferrari."

I lol'ed
Old 06-21-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

A 350HP teggy could beat a stock late 70s/1980s Vette.

Anyways, around here one of the cities started seizing cars caught in street races. They made a stink about it, and when the new law took affect, about half of the cars they tried to sieze in their first week were rentals.

And my last thought...That is bullshit. If you want to punish kids for streetracing, punish kids for streetracing. Crushing a car guy's car because you have reason to believe it was stolen is crap. Whatever happened to innocent untill proven guilty?

P.S., that Ontario deal is nuts. It's just going to cause guys to run from the cops.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by u lose

Sounds to me like someone has seen one too many movies
Old 06-22-2007, 07:48 AM
11 Second Club

heres some pictures to go with that story.... priceless!!!

hmmmm.....I dont see no muscle in that pile...