Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

NY no front liscense plate

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NY no front liscense plate

Well I got a ticket for it. I wasnt speeding or anything, the cop was just a douche and he looked like he was 15. Found a petition going on to get this stupid law removed. A lot of other state have already removed it.

http://www.petitiononline.com/NYSFLPR/petition.html
Old 10-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your required to have one until the law is changed, dont bitch because you got caught. Pay your fine and deal with it.

Also, being a licensed insurance agent, I know how freaking pesky NY is about license plates, I dont see this going through.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

My wife just got a ticket for this a few weeks ago too. She said the cop was a jerk about it (trooper). We put the bracket back on (for 5 minutes), took a few pics, and mailed them in with a not guilty plea. Hopefully it will be dropped. **** cops that have nothing better to do than to harass people for stupid ****! I could understand if she was speeding, and to give her a break he gave her a license plate ticket, but she wasn't.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

You should look into your specific law. Here in mass a front plate is also required by law, but there is a loop hole in the law here. It states that if there is no "factory" bracket, then one is not required up front but good luck trying to convince them that a "factory" bracket did not come with the car
Old 10-25-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

such a shitty law
Old 10-25-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here is one for Massachusetts!

http://www.petitiononline.com/mass/petition.html
Old 10-25-2007, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

just pay the fine, its cheaper than the bracket lol. ive got a ticket this year, but dont plan on having a plate anytime soon.

Last edited by SShawn; 10-25-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:27 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I was pulled over this summer for no front plate as well. It sucks, but it was my own fault. I know the law, didnt abide, and got penalized. Therefore, I plead guilty, paid the fine, and put my front plate on.

I did sign the petition though

Jason
Old 10-25-2007, 09:23 PM
12 Second Club

i went to sign it and apparently i already did 2,000 signatures ago.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:25 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

pay the fine, and leave the plate off. It's not a moving violation, it's not going to effect your driving record or insurance, it's really no different then a parking ticket. I'd pay it once a year before putting the front plate on hands down.

Stupid law I agree.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jayzvette
You should look into your specific law. Here in mass a front plate is also required by law, but there is a loop hole in the law here. It states that if there is no "factory" bracket, then one is not required up front but good luck trying to convince them that a "factory" bracket did not come with the car
do you have a link to said law? is this new, i've never heard of it.

that petition gets passed around in all over the place. they've been doing it in TX for years and it never provides any momentum.

can you get away with putting it in the window in NY? in TX, the law just says 'front and back', it doesnt define the location or mounting method... not many cops buy that train of thought though.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

when i lived in ny i never had a plate in the front.. kept in the windshield though.. when they questioned i used to say, yeah man i just ordered the new bracket from the dealer to put it up there with my new grill.. got away with it every time... i was always very polite and offered to race the cops! lol
Old 10-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Teching In

In the NYS VTL it actually states that "each vehicle shall have a set of number plates ... one on the front and one on the back ... wherever reasonably possible, not higher than forty-eight inches and not lower than twelve inches from the ground..." Section 402. So it actually tells you where to put it. I have pulled people over for not having the front plate, but usually as a means to find something else [DWI's] I won't issue for not having it.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Grendel123
In the NYS VTL it actually states that "each vehicle shall have a set of number plates ... one on the front and one on the back ... wherever reasonably possible, not higher than forty-eight inches and not lower than twelve inches from the ground..." Section 402. So it actually tells you where to put it. I have pulled people over for not having the front plate, but usually as a means to find something else [DWI's] I won't issue for not having it.
Good MAN! You get a reason to pull someone over and you never know what other things you might find there. If they come up clean you let them go, thats the way it should be played. Hats off to you!
Old 10-27-2007, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grendel123
I've seen several f-bodies in my area with the front plate mounted to the splash guard under the front fascia. Is this legal?
Old 10-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Teching In

without going out and measuring, I don't know. I do know that you can't have the plate covered at all. Whether it's a clear or tinted cover, and technically even the plastic brackets that car dealers put over your plate are not legal, but I'm pretty sure no one makes stops for that.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

ny cops are great aren't they? i was in a park lacin up my skates to go skatin w/ my g/f. cop pulled up and started bustin my chops over no front plate. drivin around in circles with nothing better to do. i wasn't even in my car. i played dumb told him i bought it that way and didn't no how to mount it. he starts telling me that someone prob makes a bracket for my car and i just yes him to death whatever he wants to hear. there is no way a front plate is going on my car. i no it's the law but come on its a plate find something better to do on the taxpayer's dime.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

I might be the only one who doesn't mind front plates. I actually encourage them. When I went to college in Arizona (no front plate required) I had to cut off a large SUV to get around a stalled bus. Bastard stayed within 2 feet of my rear bumper for a good half-mile. If he had a front plate on I would have remembered and called the police about it.

I should have stopped short and have the jerk rear end me, would have been his fault according to the law no matter what he said to the cops. This was when I had an old shitbox so I wouldn't have cared about damage.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

I got pulled over last week for loud exhaust (which is surcharchable I found out) and the cop looked in front of the car for a front plate (which I dont have), and to check my inspection sticker. I wasnt written up for no front plate.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

most cops use it just to check out our cars, they see young guys(not sayin all of us) driving nice cars. most young guys with nice cars either have no front plate, drugs on them, no insurance, or have something they cant arrest/harass us about. its what happens when u drive our kinds of cars around frankly i think they r jealous. i got a ticket last yr the cop was a total dick about my 86 iroc havin no front plate