Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

People are just 'DYING' to work for Toyota in Japan

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default People are just 'DYING' to work for Toyota in Japan

wow, this is pretty rough. Those folks work some crazy hours.

http://www.economist.com/world/asia/...ry_id=10329261
Old 12-25-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wow thats horrible, imagine the profits they make not paying them overtime
Old 12-25-2007, 02:19 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

This doesn't surprise me one bit.

Originally Posted by Numba1Stunna
wow thats horrible, imagine the profits they make not paying them overtime
Exactly. When a company grows that rapidly and is that profitable, there is ALWAYS more to the story. People like to rag on GM for paying a price for being way too generous with it's employees/retirees back in the day (and even still now) with such comfortable pension/health benefits but AT LEAST THEY TOOK CARE OF THEM and didn't force slave labor type conditions down their throats, that type of integrity/honorability has to be worth something. Hence one of the reasons why I am a huge fan of GM product.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Thats unbelievable. I know many people who love their Toyotas because they are so efficient and cheap etc...

Its scary to think that stuff like that really exists. Sometimes I think alot of people dont realize how great we have it here in this country. The freedom and rights that we have here are incredible comapred to the rest of the world.

I always thought that the downfall of pension programs was the baby boomers. I work with union trades at my job and the way they keep the pension fund going is by having more people pay into it than pulling out of it. Essentially, it is the classic pyramid scheme that so many people criticize. Since the generations have been getting smaller and smaller (gen. X being smaller than the baby boomers and Gen Y being smaller than Gen X) this has created a situation where more people are pulling out of these pension programs than putting in. The same is true for social security. The fact that GM is still negotiating with the unions and trying to provide for their workers is in my opinion incredible, and because of that I dont think I will ever buy anything other than a GM vehicle.

God bless GM and God bless America
Old 12-25-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

60hrs per week of FREE overtime.....THATS why the japs can sell their cars cheaper, theyre getting amost half their entire labor free of charge. THIS is why we need unions in this, and other countries. i can only imagine what would happen if some old-time heavy hitters from the UAW set up shop in japan.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

i work 80 hrs a week ...(only 3 weeks left til new job) It is considered mandatory and if you dont the pay is so low you couldnt possibly survive ... Labor boards really need to step in and stand up for the little man ... but yet - we get nothing
Old 12-26-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Robs98SS
Thats unbelievable. I know many people who love their Toyotas because they are so efficient and cheap etc...

Its scary to think that stuff like that really exists. Sometimes I think alot of people dont realize how great we have it here in this country. The freedom and rights that we have here are incredible comapred to the rest of the world.

I always thought that the downfall of pension programs was the baby boomers. I work with union trades at my job and the way they keep the pension fund going is by having more people pay into it than pulling out of it. Essentially, it is the classic pyramid scheme that so many people criticize. Since the generations have been getting smaller and smaller (gen. X being smaller than the baby boomers and Gen Y being smaller than Gen X) this has created a situation where more people are pulling out of these pension programs than putting in. The same is true for social security. The fact that GM is still negotiating with the unions and trying to provide for their workers is in my opinion incredible, and because of that I dont think I will ever buy anything other than a GM vehicle.

God bless GM and God bless America
What you are saying is true. I'm a Union Carpenter and NY Union Carpenters are the highest payed and NJ is #2. Our Pension funds aren't touched. The Contractors we work for are the ones that pay into our pension fund. Our annuities (also payed for by the contractor) are invested into different stocks and funds.

Originally Posted by Transamman25
i work 80 hrs a week ...(only 3 weeks left til new job) It is considered mandatory and if you dont the pay is so low you couldnt possibly survive ... Labor boards really need to step in and stand up for the little man ... but yet - we get nothing
Jesus Christ man! I feel sorry for you. If I worked 80 hours a week I would be bringing home $3000.00+ Places like that shouldn't exist

Hopefully Toyota will just die!

Last edited by CJDZ24_Z28; 12-26-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
Old 12-26-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
What you are saying is true. I'm a Union Carpenter and NY Union Carpenters are the highest payed and NJ is #2. Our Pension funds aren't touched. The Contractors we work for are the ones that pay into our pension fund. Our annuities (also payed for by the contractor) are invested into different stocks and funds.

Jesus Christ man! I feel sorry for you. If I worked 80 hours a week I would be bringing home $3000.00+ Places like that shouldn't exist

do you know a carpenter apprentice named Ron...drives a silver TA, from south jersey? hes on the NJFBOA board and probably here as well as '98tadriver'.

added note, im a fitter out of 274, north jersey. if i worked 80hrs a week, id bring home over $5K, if there was anything left after taxes.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:34 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
do you know a carpenter apprentice named Ron...drives a silver TA, from south jersey? hes on the NJFBOA board and probably here as well as '98tadriver'.
I know Ron, he's been out to a few of our Controlled Insanity meets, his bolt on 6 speed T/A runs good too.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

added note, im a fitter out of 274, north jersey. if i worked 80hrs a week, id bring home over $5K, if there was anything left after taxes.
Yep NYC IUEC Local #1 elevator constructor would make $5600.00 if we work 80 hour week.

George
Old 12-27-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I know Ron, he's been out to a few of our Controlled Insanity meets, his bolt on 6 speed T/A runs good too.
hes putting it back to stock and selling it as we speak.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

My job makes us work "atleast" 45 hours a week. Atleast usually turns into 55-60(they tell the corporate part of the company that we only work 40 though). I'm salary, so its the same pay. Funny thing is, this year I get almost 7 weeks of vacation, but it isn't a guarantee that I get to use it. My boss can deny my requests becase I'm not allowed to use overtime for the hourly emps while i'm on vacation. Yet, i'm not able to staff my store properly to have extra people so there isn't overtime while I'm not there. I worked 36 hours straight one time and didn't even get a thank you.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:20 PM
12 Second Club

Philly IBEW Local 98...I would love to get a 80 hr week....Whenever theres over time..uncle sam sure gets alot
Old 12-29-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

my time is more valuable then overtime. i can list over a dozen stories of how time chasers in my local got divorced, had shitty marriages, kids resent them, etc. all they end up doing is either living above their means, or getting to be the richest man in the graveyard.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

my time is more valuable then overtime. i can list over a dozen stories of how time chasers in my local got divorced, had shitty marriages, kids resent them, etc. all they end up doing is either living above their means, or getting to be the richest man in the graveyard.
all them stories are horrible when u hear them...they end up loosing half of thier annuity to thier exwifes...thier children hate em..have to work longer in the field past thier original retirement age..thats rough
Old 12-29-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Nope never met Ron. Seen him post on NJFBOA but never met him. I've been in over 5 years now.