Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Hampton Roads...Another New One..

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008 | 10:24 AM
Teching In

hopefully you all can help. just ordered a o/r h-pipe for my car. I know most places like "big al's" wont put it on w/o cats. does naybody know of a place in yorktown/NN that will? Thanks for the help
Old 10-23-2008 | 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by texasglock23
I have another question, hopefully some one can help. I purchased a TSP ORY from a member here and was wondering if it was worth a try to have it catted or will I need to buy an actual catted y? I want to go ahead and run cats so that my car is ready for Texas emissions when I go back home. I am on a budget and really don't want to buy a catted y unless the price is right.

You can do it, if you get the small high flows. Does TX require the cats to be welded in? Some places do and others do not.
Old 10-23-2008 | 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slowmc
hopefully you all can help. just ordered a o/r h-pipe for my car. I know most places like "big al's" wont put it on w/o cats. does naybody know of a place in yorktown/NN that will? Thanks for the help

Do it yourself (it's not that hard) or ask someone on the local board. Google search Tidewater Racing, if you are not already a member.
Old 10-23-2008 | 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is that your answer for everything? I think it would be much cheaper to have someone custom the y or buy a catted y over buying a welder and learning to acutally get a nice weld on there! Thanks for the input...

All I know is Texas requires them to be on the vehicle.
Old 10-23-2008 | 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is that your answer for everything?

For most of the people on this forum? Yes....
Old 10-23-2008 | 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Will I need to retune once I get the LS6 and TB swapped?
Old 10-23-2008 | 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is that your answer for everything? I think it would be much cheaper to have someone custom the y or buy a catted y over buying a welder and learning to acutally get a nice weld on there! Thanks for the input...

I dont see why you couldnt have it catted though.... Because I know guys who buy hi-flow cats after the fact and install them on their cars, so....

Call Shawn at Va Speed and see if he can work a deal with you on some hi flow cats....
Old 10-23-2008 | 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Where are you going in TX DFW or Houston??

The whole 3 yrs i was there i nevr had cats on my TA and when i go back i wont have Cats on any of my cars.

There always a way around the strate inspection. I dont think i ever even took my car into one.... was always delievered to me................
Old 10-23-2008 | 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Will I need to retune once I get the LS6 and TB swapped?
No, you wont NEED a retune, but if youre gonna go through the trouble of the install, why not get a retune to get the most out of it....

I would put it on the dyno anyway just to make sure your A/F checks out....
Old 10-23-2008 | 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyways.... Did you ever get some longtubes for the car yet texasglock23?
Old 10-23-2008 | 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I see Dallas.......

U changed valve springs alo when you did the cam right???

Any time u do a cam u are going to want it tuned to fully use it.....

On another note..... why do all that work for a cam to do an LS6 cam....... for a N/A car its kinda a waste with so many other cams out there.... it may be cheap but a custom cam is only $125 more or so.....
Old 10-23-2008 | 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
I see Dallas.......

U changed valve springs alo when you did the cam right???

Any time u do a cam u are going to want it tuned to fully use it.....

On another note..... why do all that work for a cam to do an LS6 cam....... for a N/A car its kinda a waste with so many other cams out there.... it may be cheap but a custom cam is only $125 more or so.....
I think hes talking about a LS6 intake and throttle body.... Not a cam.

Why do a cam swap with no longtubes Kyle? Come on....
Old 10-23-2008 | 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am from Dallas, and although I can get stickers, they run me $60-$100, and I haven't been in contact with those guys in a couple of years. Also, once we move back I won't be in Dallas. I would rather have it legal. I also don't know any places here that will do a simple headlight/brake/horn check either. I would hate to spend all the money only to spend more.

If you are referring to me about the cam, I haven't done a cam. Won't be doing a H/C or turbo, stall and gears until I get home. I know guys back home that can assist me so I won't pay an arm and a leg.
Old 10-23-2008 | 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

He meant my location...

No LT's yet. Still searching online for info. I wan't to get a decent set that will last me, but not spend too much. I still keep coming back to Shawn's price on Hooker LT's. I want to have all my info straight and help lined up for the installs. I will need a GREAT exhaust shop to tie everything up once I get it on.

There is a local member with HP Tuners that said he can assist with tuning the car for now. Once everything is on and set I may go back for a dyno tune to see where I am at. I am on a budget and prefer to do everythign right the first time around if possible.
Old 10-23-2008 | 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He meant my location...

No LT's yet. Still searching online for info. I wan't to get a decent set that will last me, but not spend too much. I still keep coming back to Shawn's price on Hooker LT's. I want to have all my info straight and help lined up for the installs. I will need a GREAT exhaust shop to tie everything up once I get it on.

There is a local member with HP Tuners that said he can assist with tuning the car for now. Once everything is on and set I may go back for a dyno tune to see where I am at. I am on a budget and prefer to do everythign right the first time around if possible.
Well the LTs, LS6 intake and throttle body can be done in your driveway on a Saturday.... Not very hard at all. Its more tedious then anything else. Hookers are a good set of longtubes.... Especially for the price. Chris, 99FormulaM6 had them on his car and never had a problem with them.

Youre not the only on a budget.... Especially nowadays. But Hookers and Pacesetters are gonna be your cheapest option for longtubes.... That have good quality to them.

As for the tune.... I drove and beat the **** out of my 99 SS without a tune when I installed my intake and longtubes for over 3k miles and it never skipped a beat, so.... Then I went and got Brian to tune it and wished I had done it sooner.... Haha.

As for your exhaust.... If you go with some hi-flow cats, most any shop will install the y-pipe and cats for you.

Good luck man!!
Old 10-23-2008 | 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really want to do the mods myself to save money, but would rather some one who knows how to be present to assist. Things always seem to screw up when I go at it alone. Remember the oil filter thread...?
Old 10-23-2008 | 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I really want to do the mods myself to save money, but would rather some one who knows how to be present to assist. Things always seem to screw up when I go at it alone. Remember the oil filter thread...?
Haha.... Well depending on when you decide to do it, I dont have a problem helping. My only day off is Sunday so it would have to be then, but....

Just let me know.
Old 10-23-2008 | 06:41 PM
On The Tree

That is why I ASKED what the rules where in TX. If you do not have to have them welded you can clamp it in place. Hence all you need is an angle grinder to make it fit.
Old 10-24-2008 | 11:22 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Just stoppin in to say hi fellas... The truck's got a little whistle here lately
Old 10-24-2008 | 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Intake, LT's, X-Pipe, Catback, Cam, valvesprings,ret, pushrods and Tune....... Thats it i swear..........................

Quick Reply: Hampton Roads...Another New One..