Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

I'm 19, going to be a soph in college, and have no fucking clue what im doing!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 10:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i graduated from Pitt with Industrial Engineering degree
ended up starting my own performance/repair/fabrication business. so you never know where your travels will lead you. a lot of what i do now is what i taught myself working on the side throughout college lol
Old 08-01-2008, 04:40 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I went for electrical/robotics engineering, neat stuff but I'm not doing something totally different that has pretty much nothing to do with anything electrical.

@ your age I thought that I knew what I wanted, turns out after doing that type of work for 10 years it got old, 2 different jobs, 5 different positions from tech to supervisor and it just wasn't what I wanted.

Honestly, if I could have doen it all over again, I probably would have went for welding. I love doing that type of work, yeah it's harder work and dirty, etc.etc. but it pays well and there's always gonna be a need, and just imagine what I could build in the garage with those skills

I'm thinking about going back at thsi point to get a business managment degree, seems like that along with the electronic/robotic engineering stuff and career experience would put me in a good position, but with today's job market, who knows.

Nothing is safe these days, I'm glad I'm not working for a place like an aerospace or auto manufacturer, with the way those jobs are getting farmed out to the lowest bidder there won't be a single one left in the US other then final assembly, and that will be gone as soon as they figure out where they can have it done cheaper.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

history is really only good for teaching, been there, done that. im a HVAC mechanic now, and i really enjoy it but i know its not something i want to do when im 45 when its taking a huge toll on your body. i am finishing up getting my S2 and then im going back to school for mechanical engineering. id recommend trying as much as you can then see were that takes you, you might be surprised.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on what you like to do. If you enjoy physical labor or working with your hands you can make an excellent living as a contractor, plumber, electrician, etc. As someone else mentioned pursuing an engineering degree is also a great choice and can lead to a fantastic career. I was in the same boat as you, didnt know what I wanted to do so i took a broad range of classes that met my core class requirements. Started with sciences and didnt love it, then computer programming, strike two, then moved into Economics and loved it. Plus I was very good with math so theories and equations came easy to me. I was in a 5 year plan where I received my BA in Economics and my Masters in Finance (which was free and paid by the school through their program). Now im 26 and working on my second masters (Masters in Business and Administration) and I work for Fidelity as a Senior Financial Analyst. Its an interesting job if you enjoy taking data (market fluctuations, stock prices, sales and assets, etc) and translating it into a story of where the market/economy is now, where its going, and what the company needs to do to stay on top or to expand their share in a certain market whether it be 401K and retirement services, brokerage accounts, mutual funds, etc. The job pays very well and I do enjoy my work but I do wish that I could be working on my own for my own firm or for a start-up company as you will find that working for a company/corporation is cumbersome at times since you are not reaping all of the rewards for your work. Having your own business or working in a partnership is very rewarding and motivating because it something YOU own and are responible for as if you half-*** it your potentially throwing away your money and reputation. The cons to owning your own business are the obvious that you are investing your own money and it can be very difficult/stressful during hard times. Just take your time, figure out what you really enjoy (beside drinking haha I tried majoring in that and its a no go), and go from there. Good luck man and enjoy college as much as you can!
Old 08-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Teching In

lol Man I was in the same boat an still am sorta I'm 21 I started off in college majoring in Engineering got sick of it half way through school during that time i'd become a call fire-fighter in town end up changing my whole life around got my emt right Now i'm in Paramedic school an I'm a Fire Science Major, Right now I work as a Jr. Engineer the pays good but it sucks, I like what I got highered for like all the CAD Stuff but I hate the stupid BS stuff I have toi do like travel to pick up a $20 dollar part....

Hey You like History Become a history teacher..... Teachers have good benifits and you have the summers off..... But yeah you just have to find something you have a nich for
Old 08-01-2008, 09:35 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I could do it all over again (which I am), I'd go for Business/Finance. That way, at least you'll be able to work in pretty much any field. My dream job is actually to own a large Chevrolet dealership. I don't know if that will ever happen, but at least it's something to consider.

In the meantime, I am in property management and applied for Penn State part time. Good luck!
Old 08-01-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by demonspeed
If I could do it all over again (which I am), I'd go for Business/Finance. That way, at least you'll be able to work in pretty much any field. My dream job is actually to own a large Chevrolet dealership. I don't know if that will ever happen, but at least it's something to consider.

In the meantime, I am in property management and applied for Penn State part time. Good luck!
I have been looking into property management actually. Myself and a few co-workers are thinking of starting our own real estate trust where we all kick in a bunch of money, buy up a good amount of rental properties, and then manage them. I figure property values are so cheap now and I know a ton of contractors, electricians, plumbers etc that would do the work for nothing so it might be something im looking into. Def the time to buy up as much property as possible with the way the housing market is. Plus, with the equity built up in the property equity lines of credit are available for investment in other properties too or another small business. What does everyone else think?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Property right now, is a no lose situation. If you have the $, I'd put it in that becuase what you can buy now is worth probably 25% less then it was 3 years ago, so when the market turns around you're probably looking at a 25% return on investment with no value added improvments. That's better then the market by a mile that's for sure.

Wish I had a little more $ to buy a lot somewhere, so I could sell my house in the ghetto and build a one to my liking in a 1/2 way decent neibhorhood.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Property right now, is a no lose situation. If you have the $, I'd put it in that becuase what you can buy now is worth probably 25% less then it was 3 years ago, so when the market turns around you're probably looking at a 25% return on investment with no value added improvments. That's better then the market by a mile that's for sure.

Wish I had a little more $ to buy a lot somewhere, so I could sell my house in the ghetto and build a one to my liking in a 1/2 way decent neibhorhood.
Yea thats my view on the situation. I own a house now but I will probably be renting it soon since my girlfriends parents are moving to China for 7 years as her father works in international trade as a private consultant so he signed a contract to work there for that time span and will be leaving their 4000 sqft colonial in Shrewsbury to myself and my girlfriend. Its paid off so they basically said to house sit for them for 7 years and rent out the place I own. Plus my girlfriend is finishing her degree in biology/pre-med this December and will be working for Umass doing lab research so we will have 2 disposable incomes and zero overhead so im thinking of maybe buying a few triple deckers with a few co-workers and renting them out. Then if all goes well purchase more property with the equity built up in the rental properties. I just figure if the rental income covers the mortgages and say me and two other indivduals own say 6 triple deckers getting $1000 per floor thats $18,000 a month in rental income and in 20 years when the mortgage is paid off then basically we will all be getting approx $5K a month in rental income (toss $3K in a joint account each month for any rennovations) and theres a steady flow of income on top of my retirement package.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Do what you love! I went to school for biology to be a vet. I worked at a vet. hospital as a technician for a couple of years while taking my classes. I found out that it wasn't really what I wanted to do. So then I went to computer school, cause I always loved playing videogames.

I've been in the computer industry for 8+ years now. I'm now the IT Supervisor of 5 different sites. And loving it! So as long as you do something you enjoy, I'm sure you won't mind doing it for long periods of time.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Top 10 most profitable college majors and the average starting salary:

Chemical engineering, $55,900
Electrical engineering, $52,899
Mechanical engineering, $50,672
Computer science, $50.046
Accounting, $45,723
Economics/Finance, $45,191
Civil engineering, $44,999
Business administration, $38,850
Marketing, $36,260
Liberal arts majors, $30,828
Source: National Association of Colleges & Employers

Money ain't everything, but it doesn't hurt!

Check this link for a funny look at the worst majors (their opinion, not necessarily mine):

http://www.bspcn.com/2008/06/05/the-...ollege-majors/

Last edited by JohnnyC; 08-01-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:53 PM
11 Second Club

If I had it all to do all over again, I would have stayed in the Army.

I really like shooting at stuff, blowing stuff up, and I enjoyed drinking heavily without any responsibility.

It's even better now- you can shoot a missile at some ******* with nothing more than a joystick- and that new Stryker vehicle is a killa-condo if I ever saw one!

Ahhh well............
Old 08-01-2008, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have no idea still...

the three things i like the most in life

1. cars

2. food

3. sex

4. sleep

5. ls1tech lol

6. history

i really love going on these forums... and chatting it up... maybe i can make that a career somehow?
Old 08-01-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you like history, then just do it. Honestly, everyone can sit here and tell you, you wont make money or you shouldn't do it, but if it makes you happy then do it. I have goals in my life, I would be happy with being a teacher, especially if I could teach in the school district I went to. If you teach in a good district you can make over 80K dollars a year and if you coach sports you can make even more.

I personally want to start my own business some day. I am only 21 and I ran a record label with my friend for over a year. Ya, it didn't work out, but it was my first try at something and it was fun. Hopefully I will find something I can make myself, but until then teaching as a job does not sound too bad.

I wanna get my masters and doctorate eventually and I would like to teach college when I retire from whatever I do. Just do what makes you happy, no one can tell you what to do. I struggled with this for three years, I almost dropped out of college twice but its not worth it. If you want something you have to make it happen.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

yea i woudlnt mind becoming a history teacher... i always admired my history teacher's in high school...

you get the summers off and good benefits, and a good retirement... but shitty pay for the most part...

i also love cars and i love drag racing... i wouldnt mind being involved in it one way or another... the thing about becoming a teacher is would i really make enough to live out my drag racing dreams? i doubt it
Old 08-01-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
yea i woudlnt mind becoming a history teacher... i always admired my history teacher's in high school...

you get the summers off and good benefits, and a good retirement... but shitty pay for the most part...

i also love cars and i love drag racing... i wouldnt mind being involved in it one way or another... the thing about becoming a teacher is would i really make enough to live out my drag racing dreams? i doubt it
I think the answer is in front of you - unless you will teach at the college level (which will take years of studying and networking) you will not make much money.

If you want to do what you love (history - cars), why don't you stay in school to get your history degree and start taking classes at SAM or UTI to learn how to build performance engines? Full time teacher will still give you enough time (and some money) to pursue a drag career on the side and attending SAM will satisfy your urge for being in the racing scene. Understand this will take LOTS of time as you are focusing on two goals rather than one (double effort).

Or here is another option; finish your current class load and get your AA; then enroll at SAM or UTI and become a mechanic, which should net you a higher pay than a teacher (I am sorry to make this statement as I have great respect for teachers, but the Department of Labor data reflects teachers make less than mechanics). Working as a mechanic, you could attend night school to become an engineer, which could net a job at GM or another corporate giant making good money assuming you are on the design team or a tech lead in engineering. Following this path could also net you a position on a NASCAR, F1, or fill in the blank race team. Pay is o.k. in the race world but you are doing what you love and if you are savvy, you could parlay this experience into opening your own performance shop assuming you are on a winning team.

You have narrowed your options, history or cars; leverage the network of LS1Tech to get a mentor working in one of these fields, write pros and cons of each option and go after one or the other. You can do both but your probability for success is lower than focusing in on one option.

Good luck
Old 08-01-2008, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by will01
I think the answer is in front of you - unless you will teach at the college level (which will take years of studying and networking) you will not make much money.

If you want to do what you love (history - cars), why don't you stay in school to get your history degree and start taking classes at SAM or UTI to learn how to build performance engines? Full time teacher will still give you enough time (and some money) to pursue a drag career on the side and attending SAM will satisfy your urge for being in the racing scene. Understand this will take LOTS of time as you are focusing on two goals rather than one (double effort).

Or here is another option; finish your current class load and get your AA; then enroll at SAM or UTI and become a mechanic, which should net you a higher pay than a teacher (I am sorry to make this statement as I have great respect for teachers, but the Department of Labor data reflects teachers make less than mechanics). Working as a mechanic, you could attend night school to become an engineer, which could net a job at GM or another corporate giant making good money assuming you are on the design team or a tech lead in engineering. Following this path could also net you a position on a NASCAR, F1, or fill in the blank race team. Pay is o.k. in the race world but you are doing what you love and if you are savvy, you could parlay this experience into opening your own performance shop assuming you are on a winning team.

You have narrowed your options, history or cars; leverage the network of LS1Tech to get a mentor working in one of these fields, write pros and cons of each option and go after one or the other. You can do both but your probability for success is lower than focusing in on one option.

Good luck
well as of now i work as a GS tech at a local garage... i loved it the first summer... but this summer i just hate it, i have barely any enthusiasm to come home and work on my f-body... ur dirty, ur sweaty, ur sticky, ur hot... its just not fun nemore... building race motors is prolly a diff story tho... im not sure what i am going to do, i think im going to get my ba in history and minor in marketing or some business related subject or communications and see where that takes me...

but u did bring up some good options and i am def now considering them
Old 08-01-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am trying to sit here and think of what I was going through when I started school three years ago. I guess I figured it out with time and the solution is really quite simple. Just do what YOU want to do and what makes you happy, there is no other answer.

Everyone can sit here and say well if your a engineer you can make x amount of dollars and if your a teacher you can only make x amount of dollars. If you look at things in terms of money, you probably wont be happy.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Teching In

GO down south an become a teacher 70k plus a bunch of teachers I have known have done exactly that south pay sucks unless your a teacher an 55k starting for a electrical engineer you must be giving some really low numbers I work with electrical and Civil engineers an my fathers a mechanical engineer my boss is makeing well into the 6 figures a year an he's a electrical engineer and Cvil engineers if you are in the right light are make well into the exp if you you work for the army core of engineers who are always hireing....
Old 08-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Top 10 most profitable college majors and the average starting salary:

Chemical engineering, $55,900
Electrical engineering, $52,899
Mechanical engineering, $50,672
Computer science, $50.046
Accounting, $45,723
Economics/Finance, $45,191
Civil engineering, $44,999
Business administration, $38,850
Marketing, $36,260
Liberal arts majors, $30,828
Source: National Association of Colleges & Employers

http://www.bspcn.com/2008/06/05/the-...ollege-majors/
See a common thread here? The top seven all require a solid foundation in math and/or physics....don't shy away from these core subjects. They explain the how the world works and behaves around us.

Chris