Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

I'm 19, going to be a soph in college, and have no fucking clue what im doing!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I'm 19, going to be a soph in college, and have no ******* clue what im doing!

ok guys i need some help...

im in college and have no idea why... i dont have any clue what i want to do... no clue what subject i want to major in... i need some direction.. if u guys could do it all over again what would u study? any advice please go ahead and say it... i honestly would love to make large amounts of money... idc what anyone says money to an extent does buy happiness...

the only subject im kinda interested in is history....

right now during the summers i work at a garage as a tire and lube tech... i make $10.50 an hour busting my *** all week... I DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT THE REST FO MY LIFE!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL,umm ussually you go to college with a goal.

Don't go back until you know what to go back for.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously it sounds cliche, but do whatever makes you happy. It's like that old question, "if you won the lottery right now and never had to work again, what would you do with your life"...and THAT's supposed to be your career.

I've been there too man. I used to love art, working on my car, and playing shows in a band. I picked the one that I felt would make me the most money in the least amount of time--then I went to school. Now I'm a graphic artist/web guy, and while I don't hate it, I can't imagine sitting here on this computer for the rest of my working life.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
LOL,umm ussually you go to college with a goal.

Don't go back until you know what to go back for.
I disagree. There's a LOT of boring GE classes to get out of the way. This is the BEST time to handle those, because you don't have an "ultimate goal" to distract you.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

"2 chicks at the saaaaame time"

But seriously, where you going to school? I just graduated and I can tell you what I wish I did already...
Old 07-31-2008, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Sorta on the same boat, I'm 20 and a Junior at PSU but I know that Business is related to what I want to do. I kind of want to teach business at a high school level or do something with marketing or I dunno too early to tell! Try talking to your advisor they have some things that they could probaly give to you or help you with to get you on track with something. Also just maybe do some research online with some majors that may interest you and see what appeals to you the most.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

"i wanna work in a cheese sandwitch shop Freddy!" i went to a realy expensive school for an associates deg in automotive science and biz managment. i now am a diesel tech (making more money than i would in the automotive field) and cant wait to go back to school for somthing else. leaning towards somthing in psyshcology. possibly a high school counselor or psychologist. also would love to produce music and have my own production studio. you could want to be one thing one day and something else the next. there is nothing wrong w/ that.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:11 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

In my first hand experience, most people at the age of 19 in college do not know exactly what they want to do....and that's ok! I'm 31 and still dont know what I want to do (per say), but I dont hate my job and it pays very well.

My advise to anyone would be to stay in college....even if you have some doubts on exactly what major to declare. If you are really struggling with what you want to do, stay in school at a community college where its MUCH cheaper. School (even additional classes that may not contribute to your degreee) is never a waste. Its only a waste if you are paying ALOT of money to go (University/Private schools) and you go through a couple years of classes with no firm decision on what route to take educationally.

Alot of younger college students put excessive pressure on themselves by thinking that they need to figure out EXACTLY what college major they should choose. Probably 70% of the people that I know went to school for something different than what they do now. The big picture really only shows that if you have a college degree that you are a "teachable" person. Your lifetime return on investment with a college education will never return void

Jason
Old 07-31-2008, 07:12 PM
Launching!

i was in your same situation, well i still am i mest up big by not making up my mind, i just wanted to make a decision and fast so without really thinking it i transfered to another school to study architecture, without even knowing how to use any arch programs or tools, and what a stupid move that was i droped on in 2 months, now at age 21 going back to my other school where i had good grades and majoring in computer science not really into it, but like you said i dont want to work my *** off and make 11 dollars an hour for the rest of my life. Before you choose a career check if you really like it, check if there are a lot of job openings, check the salary and benefits, do a lot of research. But make your mind up soon because when that jr year comes you are going to start stressing out like i did. GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-31-2008, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

I wish i had gone into mechanical engineering, but i am doing alright with my operations management degree. I just took an outside sales position at my job, which if i am a decent sallesman, should pay between 70-85k a year including the Co. truck and commision and my district manager wants to fast track me to a management position which will pay about the same but will be guarenteed rather then commision based.

Even with that i think i would have trulyenjoyed being able to do some type of mechanical engr job.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome to my world! I am a senior now and I am history major. Somehow I will manage to graduate only one semester late. I'm in the same boat, no idea what I wanna do. I thought about teaching, but I wont be able too in PA because I wont graduate with a 3.0. So I have roughly a 1-1.5 years of school left and have no idea what I am going to do with my life.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Unfortunately I can't say that I understand your situation. I knew what I was going to major in by the time I was in 7th or 8th grade. I am an International Relations major at a small liberal arts school.

A lot of my friends who are not as decided are History or Psychology majors. Both of these are fairly open ended, and have a good range of career possibilities. Communications is the other one that will leave a lot of options open.

And for the record... As I said, I am an international relations major. I study foreign policy and international security (the dynamics of war, chemical warfare, etc..) from September-May. When I am home for the summer, all I want to be doing is working with my hands! You will learn to love this kind of work, as it is a great break!
Old 07-31-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
ok guys i need some help...

the only subject im kinda interested in is history....

i honestly would love to make large amounts of money...
Please don't take this the wrong way, but don't major in History. If you like it and it really interests you, by all means minor in it but major is something else. A history major (my friend screwed himself by majoring in history) is going to limit you in job fields unless you're going to teach. As a teacher you will never be rich, but will always make a decent living and have a good retirement.

What are you GOOD at? Most people on the world aren't lucky enough to find a job they love, and many many people get stuck in jobs they hate.

My advice (and what I did) is major in something that you're good at and subsequently will be easy for you to get through. I am not using my degree, because I, too, have always been interested in making "large amounts of money" so I choose to be a business owner. It's the best way to make a lot of money without years and years of continued education (graduate school, law school, med school, etc).

My point there is that if you find something you're good at you have a much better chance of actually being happy and enthusiastic about beginning a career. You'll have plenty of confidence in yourself and that will take you a long way through the rest of school, job interviews, and beginning your career. Even if you don't love what you're doing at that point, you actually will have some real world experience which will count just as much as your degree if you choose to move on.

Best of luck!
Old 07-31-2008, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keep the advice coming while i think it over drinking beer at this party haha
Old 07-31-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

I just turned 20 and I'm a mechanical engineering major at UT. I got involved in school activities and ended up in a engineering co-op program working for BorgWarner Turbo systems in Asheville, NC. I have a h/c/i camaro.....that I've done all the work myself.

The great thing is, that I use my mechanical engineering to justify spending money. "it advances my education"
Old 07-31-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think your limiting yourself with a history degree. I know people that have history degrees and work in business. A close friend at school, majoring in business, told me the head of the business department told him that more and more business are hiring history majors because of research and writing skills. Obviously it might be harder to get these kind of jobs, but it is not impossible. I started taking business classes and they were awful. I've actually considered working for ups or fedex after school. I hate the idea of sitting in an office all day anyway.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well im 21 now, I went in as Mechanical engineering, lets just say that didnt' work out. Did the Crim Justice thing for a bit, got bored of it. Went a year or so of undeclared tryna to figure it all out. Just declared business the end of last year. Im finishing up my last year taking all my 400 level management classes (hardest ones) at once, because I waited to long to decide. My first couple years i knocked out all my electives and bullshit classes but screwed myself in the long run for my senior year. Im loaded up with 36 credits (18 and 18) 3 labs all 400 classes. Start putting some serious thought into it, or you may be putting yourself into a tough spot like I did. GOod luck!!!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

im alot older than you and dont know what i want and probably never will. i just try to find things that make me happy each day.

sorry if i didnt help LOL.

Last edited by ULTIMATEORANGESS; 07-31-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by KC21386
"2 chicks at the saaaaame time"

But seriously, where you going to school? I just graduated and I can tell you what I wish I did already...
"Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up, too; 'cause chicks dig dudes with money"

As brandotron said, do what makes you happy. I always liked to draw and build ****, so I went to school for Architecture.

...and enough credits to have earned two Masters had I gone for another career, I got my degree and started working. Yes, the money sucks when I first get out of school, but in 2 more years I get finally go for my license and then the fun starts.

I guess the point of it is, yes, money may not buy happiness, but it will buy a **** load of stuff that makes you happy. However, very few of us will earn big bucks right out of school, so there will be a period of a few years where you earn dick. So, in those few years, you might as well be doing what you like/love.

Im sure you have interests, its up to you to figure out how to turn them into a job or career. None of us can tell you do become a doctor or a lawyer, only you know what you're good at what and you may succeed at. And its up to you to figure that out. We can't do it for ya.

Just a part of life I guess.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK here's my story, take it for what it is...

I got my associates in Criminal Justice before running out of money for school. I tried for a few Law Enforcement positions locally with no bites. I then went into the Army to help me figure out what to do, plus I was out of money and living on my own at the time, and the Army would look good on a resume for LE work. After my term was up and including a tour through Kosovo (this was back in 99-2000) I came home and didn't want a career in LE. I was tired of playing the worlds police and dealing with stupid people. My best friend from high school got his 4 yr degree in Comp Sci and was making bucks, and thought I would be good at that. So back to school I went for Computers, and now 5 years after graduating (July 03) I am quickly making my way up through the ranks at one of the largest global IT consulting firms. Not making the big bucks that he is making because he had a few years head start, but not doing too bad...